General Discussion
  >> Broadband Not-spots & slow-spots

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User Alex1M6
(newbie) Thu 12-Jan-12 05:12:18
Print Post

Virgin boosting speeds of fibre optic based products...

[link to this post]

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-16491614

Why don't they invest in bringing fibre optic to places with sub 8mbps speeds? In this town I can hardly get 3mbps on most days as my phone line back to the exchange is long. Nothing to do with internal wiring as I am plugged into the test socket and do no have any extensions and I am using Ethernet yet the router still syncs at 3mbps down and 448kbps up, though the download speeds constantly fluctuate.

I just don't see the need for upgrading people who can already get decent, and by decent I mean anything which is a reliable constant 6mbps or more (I am serious, I would love to be able to receive a steady 6mbps or more rather than the flaky poor speeds I get).

Sorry for the rant but as soon as I read the article above I got mad.

End of rant.

Edited by Alex1M6 (Thu 12-Jan-12 05:14:05)

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Thu 12-Jan-12 08:14:54
Print Post

Re: Virgin boosting speeds of fibre optic based products...

[re: Alex1M6] [link to this post]

1. The cost of doing so, those areas missed on cable originally due to cost and same again
2. No funding available, that requires the network to be available wholesale
3. Virgin is electing to buy service from Fujitsi - thus FTTP with BDUK funding and money from councils and Fujitsu, may offer a full fibre network that TalkTalk and Virgin Media both resell
4. They did do a little tinkering and added 100,000 homes in the last couple of years to the network

On the speed flucuation, if the noise margins remain at 4dB or higher and sync is consistent, then you are just looking at congestion, and changing ISP can help there, even if they are using the same wholesale supplier. The cheaper the supplier often (not always) the lower the slice of capacity they give you at peak time.

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Anonymous
(Unregistered)Thu 16-Feb-12 13:45:01
Print Post

Re: Virgin boosting speeds of fibre optic based products...

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

If you complain to Virgin about speed inconsistency on their copper services, they always fall back on a "test your equipment because the line capacity looks fine and stable from here". They seem to think that we are all mugs - one's own equipment is hardly going to change the download speed by a factor of 10 (as happens to my connection) over a single day.

When I say "inconsistency", I am including variation in the time of day at which high or low speeds occur. Mostly it follows a simple rule - mornings are fast, evenings are slow - but even this is not a given. Basically (as Mr Saffron points out) Virgin pays BT wholesale as little as possible for its slice of the pipe, and, as demand rises, performance falls - the worse for Virgin customers as they are getting minimum priority on the available capacity.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread

Jump to