General Discussion
  >> Broadband Not-spots & slow-spots

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User cee12bee34
(newbie) Mon 23-Jan-12 16:25:59
Print Post

So much for cheap broadband.

[link to this post]

Hi Guys

Virgin Media recently stopped my £10 monthly rebate for 40 MB Broadband and unlimited talk. They had agreed to my only paying £27.99 for this service (with the discount) for a year but it was stopped after 6 months. I live in highland Perthshire with a local BT exchange

I was very upset at Virgin as they had been my ISP for many years and last August I changed over to them from BT for my telephone calls on the promise of the £10 discount.

Virgin eventually agreed, after I contacted OfCom, that I would not have to pay £128 to cancel the contract which had 6 months to run.

I then contacted various ISP's who were advertising wonderful deals for unlimited broadband and unlimited phone calls. All was well until I gave them my telephone number and postcode. Because my local BT exchange was OffNet, they all wanted to charge at least £10 more than their wonderful deal prices advertised.

In the end I stuck with Virgin as all the other were around the same price and at least I did not have to change e mail address, routers, etc.

So much for bringing broadband to rural communities at a reasonable price and breaking up the BT monopoly.

cee12bee34
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Mon 23-Jan-12 17:47:20
Print Post

Re: So much for cheap broadband.

[re: cee12bee34] [link to this post]

Who has failed to bring broadband to you exactly?

The current spending has an end point of 2015, and even that has not promised the same price no matter where you live in the UK. BP vary their petrol price from station to station.

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User 5km
(knowledge is power) Mon 23-Jan-12 22:26:41
Print Post

I'm sorry but BT do not need to bring their monopoly to you if you are already covered by another next generation network (VM). Truth is they are more likely to bring FTTC to you as you are already covered by VM and BT prefer to compete than bring service to the have-nots.

I guess you don't understand how good you have it. Some people get very poor broadband or nothing at all where they have only got the option of ADSL(2+) phone line based broadband. You don't have to pay for the 50Mb package, that's your choice, there are cheaper VM packages and now the 10Mb package is 30Mb!

If you're going to complain about VM get things into prospective first! Oh and post in the right place ... http://forums.thinkbroadband.com/virgin_cable.html

O2 Broadband Premium LLU
Now on twitter @timmay2

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Mon 23-Jan-12 22:42:15
Print Post

[re: 5km] [link to this post]

Poster was referring to Virgin National, i.e. what they buy from C&W - which where C&W have no LLU presence is ran over the IPStream infrastructure

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User 5km
(knowledge is power) Mon 23-Jan-12 22:48:50
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

Ah! Ok.

It was hard to tell because "40 MB Broadband" isn't a speed available on ADSL or cable and as 20Mbps is the most on ADSL2+ I assumed they must be on cable and meant 50Mbps.

O2 Broadband Premium LLU
Now on twitter @timmay2
Standard User shtu
(experienced) Tue 24-Jan-12 09:54:07
Print Post

In reply to a post by cee12bee34:
So much for bringing broadband to rural communities at a reasonable price and breaking up the BT monopoly.

Some points,

1 - You have broadband, phone and line rental wrapped up in that charge. At least £10 of that is line rental. (CBA looking up the current numbers, about £12 iirc) Some of it will probably be some calls package as well.

Sounds to me like VM were taking the hit on the line rental.

2 - Define "reasonable", and what you expect for it.

3 - Any other provider can spend the money to put equipment in your local exchange, and then offer the "reasonable" price you want. Ask yourself why they have chosen not to.

Post up what excahnge you are connected to and let's see if there are any alternatives.

http://www.samknows.com/broadband/exchange_search
Standard User cee12bee34
(newbie) Tue 24-Jan-12 13:11:56
Print Post

[re: shtu] [link to this post]

To clarify my situation.

I am get Virgin Media via a BP phone line and Exchange.

Virgin agreed to give me a £10 discount every month for a year (to get me to take Phone and along with my Broadband) which they cancelled.

My download limit is 40 GB. Download speed 4 - 7 MB.

If I lived in a different area I would not have to pay the extra charges all the ISP's want to charge for me using the local BT exchange.

The exchange is Strathardle (01250)

Edited by cee12bee34 (Tue 24-Jan-12 13:41:33)

Standard User Ignitionnet
(knowledge is power) Tue 24-Jan-12 13:51:32
Print Post

It costs more to supply you and the rest of your exchange with a service. If you choose to live in more remote areas it comes with compromises. You have far more open spaces than I do and breathe cleaner air, I have better broadband and transport infrastructure.

This isn't some game where the broadband fairy dances from exchange to exchange laying the fibre, upgrading the power and installing the new equipment for free. It costs money and if you're on a very sparsely populated exchange you're actually quite fortunate, relative to many in Europe and the world, to have access to any kind of broadband apart from satellite.

It costs a tad more per line on your exchange:

Serves (approx): 242 residential premises
20 non-residential premises.

To do all this work than on, say, mine:

Serves (approx): 13,906 residential premises
875 non-residential premises.

In fact yours probably cost more full stop as it probably didn't have the fibre optic backhaul ready.

Why should I, and others, subsidise your broadband when it's more expensive to provide than ours? Shouldn't you bear those costs?

This section of the forum is named 'not spots and slow spots' not 'not wanting to pay the going rate spots' for a good reason - many can't get a service as good as yours however much they are prepared to pay.

Edited by Ignitionnet (Tue 24-Jan-12 13:53:29)

Standard User shtu
(experienced) Wed 25-Jan-12 10:43:19
Print Post

4-7Mb? Roughly 3-5x what I get, why shouldn't you pay more than me?

Anyway,

http://www.samknows.com/broadband/exchange/ESSRA

No LLU operations at all. On an exchange that size it's never going to be viable for an LLU operator to put thousands of £ of kit in the exchange, pay for rack space (if it's even available), pay for backhaul, for what, a couple of dozen customers, maybe?

You may have noticed the "market 1" designation if you looked up the exchange on the link earlier.

"Market 1 : IPStream adsl is provisioned by BT Wholesale only. Their prices are fixed by OFCOM and no cheaper alternative LLU is available."

from http://www.kitz.co.uk/adsl/broadband_access_market.htm

The price you are paying for ADSL is governed by the telecoms regulator, and TBH I suspect is actually operating at a loss if the running costs of that one exchange and its backhaul are considered.

Still feel it's unfair?
  Print Thread

Jump to