General Discussion
  >> Broadband Not-spots & slow-spots

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User kingbiscit
(newbie) Wed 14-Mar-12 07:47:33
Print Post

Community Broadband

[link to this post]

Hello

I have been involved in a campaign to get better broadband for a village with very poor ADSL speeds. The company offering to install the service are looking at installing a 100Mbps leased line into the village and using WIMAX to deliver it to homes.

Can anyone give me an idea of realistically how many home users a 100MB line could provide a good quality broadband connection. The company are saying 100 users is that realistic?
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Wed 14-Mar-12 08:53:05
Print Post

Re: Community Broadband

[re: kingbiscit] [link to this post]

What speed are the users going to have?

If everyone has 50 to 60Mbps access speed, then expect there to be problem at peak times. If the maximum per property is around the 10 Mbps mark then should be fine.

The reason Virgin Media has the congestion problems it has in some areas is that they only provision twice the maximum speed of a single user in capacity to a particular cabinet. Thus 2 users in an area of a 100 or more can saturate the link.

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User drogon
(regular) Wed 14-Mar-12 08:57:21
Print Post

In reply to a post by kingbiscit:
Hello

I have been involved in a campaign to get better broadband for a village with very poor ADSL speeds. The company offering to install the service are looking at installing a 100Mbps leased line into the village and using WIMAX to deliver it to homes.

Can anyone give me an idea of realistically how many home users a 100MB line could provide a good quality broadband connection. The company are saying 100 users is that realistic?

It's very realistic, but it depends on what your expectations are.. Because just one or 2 anti-social users who decide to do intensive p2p file sharing will kill it for everyone else unless you take precautions to either limit their speeds or downloads (or both).

So it's all about management. So I'd ask this company what sort of management they propose to use on each connection, what data caps, AUP/FUP they have and so on.

I did this some 8-9 years back in the town I live in, we used wi-fi (so 4.5 Mb/sec delivery) on a 10Mb feed and we had 2 profific p2p file sharers out of 50 other users and they cripped the network until I throttled them. Without the file sharers, the network was very fast and responsive.

G

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User kingbiscit
(newbie) Wed 14-Mar-12 11:05:55
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

Hello

Thanks both for your replies. The plan was an allowance of 5GB per day.
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Wed 14-Mar-12 18:50:23
Print Post

With a usage allowance fine, but still a risk that congestion will hit if one or two users can saturate a link, i.e. those wanting to use all 5GB will not really worry about the time of day they do it.

The question to ask is how much would it cost and how easy to boost capacity if it shown that that 100 Meg is not enough.

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User wirelesspacman
(fountain of knowledge) Wed 14-Mar-12 20:21:07
Print Post

We have around 450 customers on our network and peak traffic is around 60-70Mbps.

Peter

Loop Scorpio Ltd
Ledbury; Highnam; Newent; Painswick; Arlingham, Cranham
===============================================

Symmetric Pro
Now also offering 20 Mbps symmetric broadband!
Standard User 5km
(knowledge is power) Wed 14-Mar-12 20:48:56
Print Post

Hi kingbiscit

All depends on the speed offered, as already said.

100Mbps leased line is enough for 100 users. If delivering 25Mbps to each that's a contention ratio of 25:1, far less than ADSL.

Yes, as the backhaul is small contention could be more noticeable but with usage limits this shouldn't be a problem.

Make sure your get 100Mb on a Gbit fibre so upgrade requires no new hardware.

WIMAX? really? didn't think anyone actually used WIMAX, as in 802.16. More likely to be Ubiquiti airMAX which is a TDMA version of 802.11n.

O2 Broadband Premium LLU
Now on twitter @timmay2
Anonymous
(Unregistered)Wed 14-Mar-12 21:01:34
Print Post

where its the village and what exchange is is serviced from

is it one of the pilot / phase 1 wnners for bduk - one think you will need to check to see if any state aid (grant money parish council modney is incldued) as that coukld cause issue when BDUK does get rolled in your county -
Standard User kingbiscit
(newbie) Fri 16-Mar-12 08:34:31
Print Post

[re: Anonymous] [link to this post]

The village is WA2 - Winwick which is connected to the Warringon Exchange. Unfortunately the company who was going to do it have just gone bust! NextGenUs!

So probably not going to happen now anyway frown We are all stuck on around 0.5MB - 1MB.
Standard User yarwell
(sensei) Fri 16-Mar-12 10:10:18
Print Post

the equivalent backhaul in most networks would be for 1,000 users or more.

Phil

MaxDSL - goes as fast as it can and doesn't read the line checker first.

MaxDSL diagnostics
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to