General Discussion
  >> Broadband Not-spots & slow-spots

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User kingbiscit
(newbie) Tue 20-Mar-12 11:35:25
Print Post

What can I do :(

[link to this post]

I live in Winwick, Warrington (WA2). I had campaigned to bring community broadband to Winwick with NextGenUs - we got 150 signups but they have now gone bust so thats not going to happen. I was holding out for BT announcing Warrington on the list of exchanges for FTTC but again its not on there.

I need to do something, I work from home with my wife and its just not fast enough. The only two options I can think of is:

1. Combine my SKY 2.8MB ADSL line with another provider using Sharedband.

2. Have a Tooway dish installed and use a router which can utilise the bandwidth. e.g. SKYPE, Gaming etc using the ADSL, http downloads, ftp downloads etc use the Satellite connection.

Does anyone have an opinion on which would be best? If I went for 1. is there a particular ISP I should go with for long distance?

Is 2. really an option or am I just going to hate Satellite?

Thanks

Jono
Standard User Zarjaz
(knowledge is power) Tue 20-Mar-12 12:25:18
Print Post

Re: What can I do :(

[re: kingbiscit] [link to this post]

To tell the truth, 2.8 meg isn't really a slow/not-spot. You have done all the usuals to make sure you are getting as good as poss through your existing line aren't you ?

If you are going to look at the bonded route, it's going to be best to have an ISP that will support this. A and A might be one such candidate.

Standard User kingbiscit
(newbie) Tue 20-Mar-12 12:35:42
Print Post

[re: Zarjaz] [link to this post]

Hello

I have done everything, most people in Winwick get less than 1MB. But its painfully slow when two people are trying to work from it - I'm a web developer.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Tue 20-Mar-12 12:36:12
Print Post

If getting 2.8Meg from ADSL, then you will find satellite a waste most of the time.

I'd go for a second line, and not sharing it, but splitting machines across the two connections, i.e. his and hers broadband lines. That way the usage from one person will not impact on another.

Remember there is the BDUK schemes, so spending a few hundred now to get a little faster could be negated by that in a short time. Over the summer more detail on the BDUK projects should appear.

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Tue 20-Mar-12 12:39:41
Print Post

I'd expect the two nearby market 3 exchanges Newton Le Willows and Padgate to probably get FTTC eventually under the commercial roll-out from Openreach.

If they miss out, they are prime candidates for BDUK, which so long as Winwick has a street cabinet bodes well.

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User kingbiscit
(newbie) Tue 20-Mar-12 13:56:15
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

I'm not sure how it works but...

Newton le Willows has its own Exchange and Padgate - the also both have Virgin Cable - so get great ADSL and Cable speeds.

Winwick is bolted onto the Warrington Exchange but its a long way away so ADSL speeds are really bad. For some reason Warrington doesn't seem to be on BTs radar.
Standard User elevator
(regular) Tue 20-Mar-12 14:14:41
Print Post

Would anything like Onspeed help used use it when I had dial up it says it is good up to 2 meg on web site.
Standard User kingbiscit
(newbie) Tue 20-Mar-12 14:24:03
Print Post

[re: elevator] [link to this post]

Its not really slow enough for OnSpeed,its basically fine for browsing - the problem is when my wife is sending me an email I'm trying to FTP something the whole thing just grinds to a halt.

I think I'm going to bite the bullet and sign up for Be Broadband bonded - not cheap at £65 a month but if it works it will be worth it, hopefully in 12 months something will have been done in Winwick - but I doubt it.
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Tue 20-Mar-12 14:50:36
Print Post

Looking at a map, Newton le Willows and Padgate at a lot bigger.

Winwick gives the impression of a small village with a few new build roads, but just outside Warrington.

Very likely FTTC will come to Warrington, alas with all these things some poor devil has ot be last in the commercial roll-out.

Tried getting enough people together to make Virgin Media add your area to their coverage, but then plenty of postcodes in Warrington still dont have Virgin Media it seems.

Standard User CJT
(committed) Tue 20-Mar-12 15:15:15
Print Post

kingbiscit

I have replied to your other thread with some interesting info.

CJT.

tongue

ON BT Total Broadband .

My Broadband Speed Test

[IMG]http://www.speedtest.net/result/986285088.png[/IMG]
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to