General Discussion
  >> Broadband Not-spots & slow-spots

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User Brazim01
(newbie) Tue 10-Apr-12 21:53:58
Print Post

General speed question from a frustrated noob

[link to this post]

Hi, this has the potential to be a lengthy question so I'll try my best to keep it brief and use bullets:

I'm relatively non-technical but work in the IT industry so have some useful contacts who have contributed to assisting me so far.

The situation is that I moved into a property at this postcode (ol10 2re) and the max broadband speed I am getting is around 1.5mb.

Info:
I am on an exchange approx 5 km away
My local exchange is around 1km away
Both are fibre enabled but my local cabinet isn't
My ISP (fast.co.uk) has attempted to get openreach to move me to a the closer exchange but they have refused
A friend of mine works for a telecoms company and believes that moving to the closer exchange wouldn't make much difference
No virgin cable service locally
The location is not rural but there are farms either side of me despite being less than a mile from a major town centre, there are only 4 other houses in my immediate vicinity and the only other buildings serviced by the cabinet are on an industrial estate.
I have given up on improving the situation through conventional means and am looking at alternatives

Questions:
Does anybody know of an economically viable leased line service for residential properties?
Has anybody had any experience with Sattelite broadband ( recommendations on providers?)
Has anybody heard of a residential property tapping into a local business leased line (with their consent) and receiving a broadband service in that way?
Any other suggestions?

Sorry for the rambling email and variety of questions, at my wits end!

Any help greatly appreciated,

Many thanks.
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Tue 10-Apr-12 22:03:21
Print Post

Re: General speed question from a frustrated noob

[re: Brazim01] [link to this post]

Got the connection speed, attenuation and noise margins from the router?

Openreach doesn't move lines between exchanges unless there is a bright pink moon and a pig jumps over it smile

Looked at ethernet pricing? £2-3k install, and a few hundred a month.

Satellite - if you can get 1.5 Mbps from ADSL then I would not bother the usage limits are killers.
Considered 3G, if you can get it, or an antenna to improve signal helps this can go faster than 1.5Meg

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User 5km
(knowledge is power) Tue 10-Apr-12 22:07:51
Print Post

Have you tried mobile broadband? It'll likely be quicker than what you are getting through the land line!

http://store.three.co.uk/view/searchDevice?type=MBB_...

Leased line could be affordable but you'd need to share the cost with others! Unless ~£1000 per month is affordable for you (plus an undefined engineering cost that would likely be upwards of £3000?

Satellite is rubbish ... only if you're on a remote island in the north sea should you consider it.

There might be a wireless isp in the area have you checked http://www.ispreview.co.uk/isp_list/ISP_List_Wireles...

O2 Broadband Premium LLU
Now on twitter @timmay2

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User Brazim01
(newbie) Tue 10-Apr-12 22:31:40
Print Post

Thanks for the responses so far. It appears there is no quick fix which is what I expected but good to get confirmation from those with more knowledge than I have.

I've checked and there does appear to be a wireless broadband provider (fttm) in my area offering an attractive looking package. I've contacted them and will update with the results.

Thanks again...
Standard User Kiron
(newbie) Wed 09-May-12 12:18:30
Print Post

[re: 5km] [link to this post]

I think mobile broadband could truly be the answer here. We have had no end of troubles with our internet connection and bought a 3 hotspot (they call it MiFi I think but other providers call it a WiFi hotspot) we get an average of 3.5mbps which is better than what you are currently getting. I have heard that up North they get much faster speeds than down South but not sure how much truth there is to that.
  Print Thread

Jump to