General Discussion
  >> Broadband Not-spots & slow-spots

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Anonymous
(Unregistered)Wed 09-May-12 18:29:14
Print Post

Bad speeds at Armoy exchange in N.Ireland

[link to this post]

Hello,
I am getting really bad speeds from the armoy exchange I do live a fare bit away but the speed is only 0.2mbps, a neighbour who lives about 50 metres up the road from me is able to get 14 meg speeds from a fibre box which is about a mile and a half away. Am i just not connected to this box? I've rang BT several times and they say my connection is fine....i even had an engineer come out and tell me i should get higher speeds from that box but ive had no luck.

Connection Information
Line state: Connected
Connection time: 0 days, 20:23:08
Downstream: 384 Kbps
Upstream: 448 Kbps

ADSL Settings
VPI/VCI: 0/38
Type: PPPoA
Modulation: G.992.1 Annex A
Latency type: Fast
Noise margin (Down/Up): 6.4 dB / 11.0 dB
Line attenuation (Down/Up): 74.9 dB / 31.5 dB

Thats my setting on my router as i said i am far away from the main box but not too far away from the fibre box.
Thanks
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Wed 09-May-12 18:55:12
Print Post

Re: Bad speeds at Armoy exchange in N.Ireland

[re: Anonymous] [link to this post]

You need to order a fibre service that uses that box, there is no automatic switch from the ADSL services to the faster fibre services, as they can cost more to subsribe to, and your current provider may not offer the service.

What does the availability checker at https://www.btwholesale.com/includes/adsl/main.html say exactly for your line.

http://www.thinkbroadband.com/guide/fibre-broadband.... covers the FTTC service, that you are talking about and lists a good number of the providers who sell it.

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Anonymous
(Unregistered)Wed 09-May-12 19:15:20
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

Your exchange is ADSL enabled, and our initial test on your line indicates that it is VERY UNLIKELY you will be able to receive fixed 512Kbps or 256Kbps broadband service due to the very long length of your telephone line. However, your order will be accepted if you still wish to order. An engineer may need to visit who will, where possible, supply the broadband service.

Additionally, your line may be able to support an estimated ADSL speed between 1 to 2 Mbps using Broadband Enabling Technology. A solution created specifically for communities who have very long telephone lines. If you decide to place an order, an appointment might be required where an engineer may need to visit your premises who will, where possible, supply the service.

Our test also indicates that your line currently supports an estimated ADSL Max broadband line speed of 500Kbps; typically the line speed would range between 250Kbps and 1.5Mbps.

I was quoted 1 meg when i signed up but actually get 100kbps-250kbps.

Doing the infinity test on the house 50 metres away it gives
10.7Mb download
1.0Mb upload
BT Total Broadband Faster BT Total Broadband BT Total BroadbandThe speed prediction we have provided is an estimate, however download speeds can vary and the actual download speed will fall between a range. This is generally within 1-2 Mb higher or lower than your estimated speed quoted Between 0.75Mb and 2.5Mb
(Estimated speed: 1.0Mb)
So they can get BT Faster total broadband and i cant. It is under a different postcode but surely i should be able to get a better speed?

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Wed 09-May-12 20:05:39
Print Post

You need to check what the checker says for their telephone number.

50 metres may mean you are connected to a different cabinet.

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Wed 09-May-12 20:06:38
Print Post

Do you have a master socket, and thus can test from the test socket? It is worth trying, as you might squeeze a little more speed out of the line, but at 74dB attenuation, you are well beyond what people expected ADSL ever to manage.

Anonymous
(Unregistered)Wed 09-May-12 20:12:35
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

Yea the BT engineer said the max speed i would get was 512kbps he refitted the socket then we went up to the attic where the line comes in and got it there its a funny situation because if i live a mile up or down the road i could get fibre. And where the fibre boxes are situated there are businesses which is probably a priority. Anyway thanks for your help ill get onto bt and try to keep cancelling their customer service is beyond awful. I always get the same have you restarted your router nonsense when i know its because of the actual distance!
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Wed 09-May-12 20:16:27
Print Post

No idea what your 3G service is like, but maybe a MiFi or 3G router will give a better broadband service.

Print Thread

Jump to