General Discussion
  >> Broadband Not-spots & slow-spots

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User Gridl0k
(newbie) Tue 15-May-12 19:17:10
Print Post

Aylesbury - moving from DSL to FTTC - Case Study

[link to this post]

Sorry if this isn't quite the right place, first time poster!

Just wanted to share my experiences of the last month, I live in a part of Aylesbury (built only 10 years ago) where for whatever reason there seems to be a slowspot. It's mapped fairly well on the notspots site so this isn't just my internal wiring, as far as I can tell. I only have 2 wires connected behind my master socket and everything is properly filtered.

http://www.broadband-notspot.org.uk/coverage-map.htm...

Sky installed my DSL quoting "4 to 12Mbit" (which is interesting, because BT's tool says 1-3), and after 7 days of waiting for it to settle (I assume this means it's RADSL?) I got around 2300Kbit down and 500Kbit up. Here's the relevant stats from my router (I hope):

ADSL Link Downstream Upstream
Connection Speed 2322 kbps 480 kbps
Line Attenuation 64.5 dB 40.6 dB
Noise Margin 0.8 dB 10.5 dB

I'm no expert but hopefully someone versed in the dark arts of SNR and attenuation can confirm these are bad.

So, I phoned Sky on day 14 after the activation and (being a previous Virgin customer) expected a fight. I had discovered that I was covered by an exchange accepting fibre orders and I was a little disappointed Sky hadn't tried to upsell me initially, but I got put through to the Fibre dept and the nice lady arranged for Fibre to be installed later this week. DSL service should be uninterrupted. Quoted speed for the new install (I liked this) was "between 31 and 31.46Mbps".

Anyway, the point of all this is that I will return and post my new stats afterwards, which hopefully will provide insight into how well FTTC copes with whatever the issues are in this area. If it's as quoted then I guess this area just has a bad cabinet-exchange link rather than the last mile being the issue?

Feedback/questions/poo-pooing welcomed.

Edited by Gridl0k (Tue 15-May-12 19:19:02)

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Tue 15-May-12 20:33:16
Print Post

Re: Aylesbury - moving from DSL to FTTC - Case Study

[re: Gridl0k] [link to this post]

While the DSL stats are bad, they actually are pretty good given the attenuation figures.

i.e. to get 2 Meg sync from 64dB attenuation is pretty good really. Sky ADSL LLU is not always the best for long lines though, so hopefully the move to FTTC will improve your situation a lot.

In terms of upsell, fibre is so new that I think unless sales staff are prompted they stick to what they know best.

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User Gridl0k
(newbie) Fri 18-May-12 15:46:08
Print Post

OK, nice Openreach man has been and gone, not sure if there even are equivalent stats to be provided (attenuation etc) but this sums it up:

http://www.speedtest.net/result/1958370478.png

9ms ping, 37.27 down and 1.69 up.

From the router:

Broadband Link Downstream Upstream
Connection Speed 39999 kbps 1997 kbps

Only 1.9Mbit up? Not that I'm complaining too much given the other number but seems lower than I expected. Sky's website is helpfully not quoting me an upstream speed, in fact it is saying I can't get fibre crazy

Nice open reach man confirmed I'm showing as 0.7km from the cab.

Edited by Gridl0k (Fri 18-May-12 15:52:58)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User Ripley
(committed) Fri 18-May-12 19:25:41
Print Post

Glad you got installed, must be a big improvement for you!

Think Sky only offer the 2 meg upload at present dont they? you are on the 40 down / 2 up product

Skys website says nothing about speeds upon an intial glance at it, which seems strange!

Freeserve Dial-Up --> BTopenworld --> <n>ildram -->Talk Talk LLU --> ZeN
DrayTek 2850 VN

My Broadband Speed Test
Standard User Zadeks
(experienced) Fri 18-May-12 21:31:52
Print Post

You should be able to upgrade to the 80/20 product later in the year.
Standard User Gridl0k
(newbie) Sat 19-May-12 22:51:20
Print Post

[re: Zadeks] [link to this post]

Cool, it's not urgent though, 15 times better download and 4x better upload will do me for now!

Sky have stopped showing broadband speeds likely as part of the industry's undertakings to OFCOM - speed is so variable that 'headline' or 'up to' figures are now not good enough, and should only be shown following a check on the line.

Edited by Gridl0k (Sat 19-May-12 22:52:07)

Print Thread

Jump to