General Discussion
  >> Broadband Not-spots & slow-spots

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User theKing
(newbie) Fri 08-Jun-12 22:54:56
Print Post

Help: Slow Speed Estimate at New house

[link to this post]

Hi there,

I am moving house in a few weeks and am trying to arrange broadband - the new house is on the Livingston Station (ESLVS) exchange which is a market 3 exchange which has been FTTC enabled and unbundled. My new house is roughly 1.5 miles from the exchange yet I am being quoted line speeds of 0.3 - 1.5 mbs. I'm wondering why this is - the average line speed on the exchange is apparently 8mbs or so. This is very frustrating as I'm moving from a rural area where I'm getting 11mbs and it feels like I'm stepping back into the dark ages, even though the exchange is modern and enabled with the latest technologies!

So my questions are really why the speed would be so slow - and what can I do about it. The estate shows up on the NotSpot map so it appears to be a problem across the whole estate.

Many thanks for any help/suggestions

theKing
Standard User XRaySpeX
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Fri 08-Jun-12 23:30:06
Print Post

Re: Help: Slow Speed Estimate at New house

[re: theKing] [link to this post]

What's it say here: http://www.dslchecker.bt.com/adsl/ADSLChecker.postcode ?

1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 19 Meg WBC
Standard User theKing
(newbie) Fri 08-Jun-12 23:38:16
Print Post

[re: XRaySpeX] [link to this post]

"Your exchange is ADSL enabled, and our initial check on your postcode indicates that your line should be able to have an ADSL broadband service that provides a fixed line speed up to 1Mbps. However due to the length of your line the 1Mbps service may require an engineer visit who will, where possible, supply the broadband service.

Our check also indicates that your line currently supports an estimated ADSL Max broadband line speed of 1.5Mbps; typically the line speed would range between 1Mbps and 2.5Mbps.

Our check also indicates that your line currently supports an estimated ADSL2+ broadband line speed of 2Mbps; typically the line speed would range between 1Mbps and 3.5Mbps.

The actual stable line speed supportable will be determined during the first 10 days of use. This speed may change over time, to ensure line stability is maintained."

Is there likely to be a different speed between different providers? I've run the line checker for a number of different companies and they all come back with similar numbers (presume they all use the openreach data?)

Edited by theKing (Fri 08-Jun-12 23:41:15)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User XRaySpeX
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sat 09-Jun-12 01:33:25
Print Post

All providers get their estimates from the same BT Wholesale database.

You'll never really know what you'll get until you've had ADSL2+ BB installed. Your actual speed will almost exclusively on the length of your line and will be much the same whatever ISP.

Note that estimate says nowt about whether you can or will be able to get FTTC. That may be cuz the local cab has not been enabled even tho' the exchange has. Wait till you get a phone # and then try again at http://www.dslchecker.bt.com/adsl/adslchecker.welcome .

1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 19 Meg WBC
Standard User theKing
(newbie) Sun 10-Jun-12 21:09:56
Print Post

[re: XRaySpeX] [link to this post]

Thanks - guess I'll just have to hope for the best.
Standard User theKing
(newbie) Fri 22-Jun-12 20:40:43
Print Post

I've got my new number confirmed so have run the line checker:

our exchange is ADSL enabled, and our initial test on your line indicates that your line should be able to have an ADSL broadband service that provides a fixed line speed up to 1Mbps. However due to the length of your line the 1Mbps service may require an engineer visit who will, where possible, supply the broadband service.

Our test also indicates that your line currently supports an estimated ADSL Max broadband line speed of 1.5Mbps; typically the line speed would range between 1Mbps and 2.5Mbps.

Our test also indicates that your line currently supports an estimated ADSL2+ broadband line speed of 4Mbps; typically the line speed would range between 3Mbps and 5Mbps. Our test also indicates that your line could support an estimated ADSL 2+ Annex-M broadband upstream line speed of 500Kbps and downstream line speed of 4Mbps; typically the downstream speed would range between 3Mbps and 5Mbps.

The actual stable line speed supportable will be determined during the first 10 days of use. This speed may change over time, to ensure line stability is maintained.

If you decide to place an order, a further test will be performed to confirm if your line is suitable for the service you wish to purchase.

Thank you for your interest.

Please note that postcode and address check results are indicative only. Most accurate results can be obtained from a telephone number check.

Note: There is currently a Broadband cease pending or in progress against this line. This cease is due to complete by 25th June 2012. This will not stop you ordering Broadband from a new supplier, but will delay the provision of the new Broadband service.

How do I know who will supply me with an ADSL2+ service?

Thanks
Standard User MCM
(fountain of knowledge) Fri 22-Jun-12 20:58:41
Print Post

In reply to a post by theKing:
I've got my new number confirmed so have run the line checker:
Don't panic just yet about the low speeds as these could be for the location where the number was previously in use and may well have not been updated for its new location.

As for who you will choose to provide your ADSL service, that's very much down to you and, if looking for an LLU supplier, whether they are present or not in your exchange. SamKnows suggests that you have quite a choice of LLU operator.
  Print Thread

Jump to