General Discussion
  >> Broadband Not-spots & slow-spots

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User bobbobson
(newbie) Wed 27-Jun-12 12:50:41
Print Post

Corby NN18 8

[link to this post]

Hi,

I live in a new housing estate in Corby, NN18 8 postcode area. It's a large development of new houses that have been going up for years and by the looks of things, look set to continue. Roads have recently been adopted around our area, but broadband is still woeful. The best I've ever managed has been 2MB download, generally it lingers around the 1MB. iPlayer and low quality Netflix is sometimes manageable provided we do nothing else online at the same time, otherwise even that isn't possible.

I'm told it's due to copper lines to the houses - The local exchange (Great Oakley) is enabled for fibre optic but nobody offers a service. Virgin Media flatout told me via email the area is 'too big' for them to consider.

Can anyone suggest anything? I've looked at satellite (too expensive) and MiFi (poor coverage, capped usage). Short of moving house, is there anything anyone can suggest to get a decent speed (at least 6MB up)?

Thanks
Standard User ccxo
(experienced) Wed 27-Jun-12 13:20:39
Print Post

Re: Corby NN18 8

[re: bobbobson] [link to this post]

What is your full postcode as we can then tell you what cabinet you are connected to.

I remember another forum user from corby that had slow speeds but their cabinet had a FTTC twin installed, what does the BT wholesale availability chcker say for your line.

http://www.thinkbroadband.com/btavailability.html

My Broadband Speed Test
Standard User bobbobson
(newbie) Wed 27-Jun-12 13:31:48
Print Post

[re: ccxo] [link to this post]

Hi,

Thanks for replying - Postcode is NN18 8FF

Taken from wholesale website...

"Your exchange is ADSL enabled, and our initial check on your postcode indicates that your line should be able to have an ADSL broadband service that provides a fixed line speed up to 1Mbps. However due to the length of your line the 1Mbps service may require an engineer visit who will, where possible, supply the broadband service.

Our check also indicates that your line currently supports an estimated ADSL Max broadband line speed of 2Mbps; typically the line speed would range between 1Mbps and 3.5Mbps.

Our check also indicates that your line currently supports an estimated ADSL2+ broadband line speed of 2.5Mbps; typically the line speed would range between 1Mbps and 4Mbps."

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User ccxo
(experienced) Wed 27-Jun-12 13:56:19
Print Post

Checked your postcode against the December 2011 spreadsheet,

EMGRETO GREAT OAKLEY NN188FF {EMGRETO}{P15} 0 100%

100% of the lines on your postcode go to cabinet 15 but it was not planned to have FTTC

Their are only 4 postcode entry's for cabinet 15, as seen below only 2 postcodes have 100% of their lines connected to the cabinet- either the cabinet servers too few lines or has been missed.

EMGRETO GREAT OAKLEY NN188LW {EMGRETO}{P15} 0 4% (majority on cab 4, 4% on 34)
EMGRETO GREAT OAKLEY NN188EN {EMGRETO}{P15} 0 15% (rest is connected to cab 11)
EMGRETO GREAT OAKLEY NN188FG {EMGRETO}{P15} 0 100%
EMGRETO GREAT OAKLEY NN188FF {EMGRETO}{P15} 0 100%

A few things you can try, get in contact with the developer as they will have contact with openreach= with enough demand from all the hoses you may be able to get a fttc twin installed for cabinet 15.

The other thing to try would be to contact Ian Livingstones office he is CEO of the BT group.

ian.livingston@bt.com

My Broadband Speed Test

Edited by ccxo (Wed 27-Jun-12 13:56:47)

Standard User greenglide
(committed) Wed 27-Jun-12 14:00:56
Print Post

100% of your postcode is fed from PCP15 which was not planned for FTTC as at December.

PCP15 only covers 4 postcodes:-

NN188LW
NN188EN
NN188FG
NN188FF

which implies a reletively low level of lines (at least so far)

Ex <n>ildram , been to SKY MAX - 15,225 Download
BE Unlimited - 21,000 Download 1,200 Upload ON THE LINE THAT SKY COULD ONLY PROVIDE 15,255 DOWN AND 800 UP ON!!!,
Moved house, now BE Unlimited 6,500 Down, 1Mb/s up - gutted!
FTTC Cab installation commenced 12th April - expect full 80 / 20 - bye bye BE, hello BT Infinity soon!
Standard User Zarjaz
(knowledge is power) Wed 27-Jun-12 22:45:28
Print Post

[re: ccxo] [link to this post]

The other thing to try would be to contact Ian Livingstones office he is CEO of the BT group.

Why not email the bearded one at Virgin, and ask him how..
Virgin Media flatout told me via email the area is 'too big' for them to consider.

.. is sound business practice ?? Surely a large area currently getting very low speeds from a competitor is rich pickings ??

Print Thread

Jump to