General Discussion
  >> Broadband Not-spots & slow-spots

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Anonymous
(Unregistered)Fri 21-Sep-12 10:40:59
Print Post

Frustrated with BT

[link to this post]

Living In Torquay has its advantages but not when it comes to BT broadband that is so slow that we can only watch You tube vids on our 3g enable phones rather then our home network which runs at speeds where streaming is so frustrating that you dont bother

Its a shame that Bt are willing to take the monthly fees for broadband and allowed to get away with supplying a fraction of what you have purchased. It seems this is the only industry that is allowed to use the words upto but i am sure if the rest of the world operating in this fashion then we would not be best pleased
Standard User BatBoy
(legend) Fri 21-Sep-12 10:53:20
Print Post

Re: Frustrated with BT

[re: Anonymous] [link to this post]

Looks fine http://maps.thinkbroadband.com/?utm_source=mainsite&...

_____________________________________________________________________________________________ this is not usenet __________________
Standard User greenglide
(committed) Fri 21-Sep-12 11:29:36
Print Post

In reply to a post by Anonymous:
Its a shame that Bt are willing to take the monthly fees for broadband and allowed to get away with supplying a fraction of what you have purchased. It seems this is the only industry that is allowed to use the words upto but i am sure if the rest of the world operating in this fashion then we would not be best pleased

So what, exactly, do you think it is that you have purchased?

ADSL as a technology is critically dependant on the distance between the exchange and the home so they cannot provide a high speed at a long distance yet the connection costs remain the same. While the bandwidth that is usable at higher distanances is obviously less it is the provision of the connection that is the major part of the cost.

It is "unfortunate" in your case that in the UK we have a "sell the speed" rather than a "sell the data transferred" approach but that is the way it is sold by virtually all providers including SKY, TT and BE/O2 LLU where the BT involvement is less.

The fact you live in Torquay is not really significant, the issue is that you have a long line (which happens in most areas) and, I assume, do not have access to FTTC/FTTP?

BT Infinity 2 - IP profile 77 / 20 - super fast!
Previously BE Unlimited - 21,000 Download 1,200 Upload but then moved house - 6,500 Down, 1Mb/s up - gutted!
Ex <n>ildram , been to SKY MAX - 15,225 Download

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User ukhardy07
(experienced) Fri 21-Sep-12 12:11:56
Print Post

Torquay have plenty of fine connections via BT. Speedtests show that.

I would hazard a guess that you're doing something wrong e.g not in the master, unfiltered extension etc.

Can you post statistics from the homehub and then we can help you further.
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Sat 22-Sep-12 15:16:25
Print Post

The up to is a feature of broadband around the world. Some countries it is not used, but the connections suffer same line length issues on DSL based services, and contention applies even to those with full fibre connections

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User FRS_Plunderer
(fountain of knowledge) Fri 19-Oct-12 12:20:53
Print Post

wootah stats plz.

My Broadband Speed Test
  Print Thread

Jump to