General Discussion
  >> Broadband Not-spots & slow-spots

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User mbolton
(newbie) Fri 21-Sep-12 14:26:23
Print Post

Cabinet P17 on the Aldershot Exchange

[link to this post]

Hi,

Our exchange (THAD) has been enabled for fibre for over a year now but our cabinet never seems to get a look in on the upgrades.

Would anyone know/be able to find out if this cabinet will (ever) be upgraded to FTTC?

Thanks,

Mark,
Standard User arobinso
(newbie) Mon 21-Jan-13 16:45:26
Print Post

Re: Cabinet P17 on the Aldershot Exchange

[re: mbolton] [link to this post]

Hi Mark

I'm on the same cabinet, and share your frustrations. The cabinet has been due for an upgrade 'within the next 3 months' for 2 years now. At the end of each 3 month period they just push the date out another 3 months. In the meantime we suffer with 1mb download speed (on a good day).

There are two places to look for updates on this.

http://www.superfast-openreach.co.uk/where-and-when/
type in your postcode (I assume GU12 5 something) and it will show you a yellow pin where the cabinet is. Right now it suggests there is a problem with underground utilities where they want to put it, so I assume they need to move it further along the Wharf.

https://www.btwholesale.com/pages/static/Community/B...
Use the availability checker and it will show the same expected date as the other link (right now, 31 March 2013). Don't get excited, it will get pushed out another 3 months as soon as that date gets close.

I'm not sure how to deal with this, but I am thinking about writing to our MP. There are a number of local businesses served by this cabinet. Plus those of us who have the option to work at home can't use it because of the terrible internet connection (to have avoided a treacherous 4 hour drive home in the snow on Friday evening by working at home would have been nice!).
Sadly it's difficult to precisely quantify the economic impact on the community, but given it's hardly a wealthy area & a decent population mass, I would have thought they should be working harder to get us in to the 21st century.

Hope this helps
Alex
Standard User mbolton
(newbie) Fri 01-Feb-13 11:38:56
Print Post

[re: arobinso] [link to this post]

A bit of an update at last!

I've had an email from Openreach today:

'We have discovered blockages in the duct network which are clearing at the moment, this may put the deployment date back by a couple of weeks.

However we are still anticipating that the cabinet will be live to accept orders in late March, unless we experience more engineering difficulties.'

Sounds like we could actually go live in March!

Mark.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User arobinso
(newbie) Fri 01-Feb-13 13:02:42
Print Post

Thanks for the update Mark. That is indeed fantastic news.
if it's blockages rather than other utilities that is causing the problem, then they may be able to site the cabinet in original position. I imagine that this will save extra effort to re-route power, dig up roads etc.

If you hear more please could you post?

I've made separate enquiries (even via our MP, Michael Gove). I ended up at Surrey County Council who have the contractual arrangement with BT to supply next gen broadband to Surrey. If I hear anything from that side I will of course post. I'm on their distribution list for updates now anyway.

Cheers
Alex
Standard User arobinso
(newbie) Tue 05-Feb-13 13:49:57
Print Post

Yesterday on Ash Hill Road (just before the junction with Wharf Road) I saw a BT Openworld engineer with his arm down a manhole and a length of fibre cable in his hand.
Never seen that before, might be a promising sign of things to come.
Standard User arobinso
(newbie) Thu 07-Feb-13 10:48:19
Print Post

Message from Openreach today. Keep an eye out on BT Infinity order website and register your interest. The cabinets can fill up so you don't want to miss out. When I've been able to place an order I will re-post: -

Dear Alex

Thank you for your email

Cabinet thad17, to which your line is connected, was released yesterday as fibre to the cabinet enabled. Whilst it can take a couple of weeks for all the system records to complete and close this is showing broadband port availability. Your Communications Provider (CP) is responsible for all aspects of your service including advising on the services they can supply at your address. Please contact your CP for them to check into and deal accordingly.
Standard User arobinso
(newbie) Fri 15-Feb-13 18:47:04
Print Post

Latest news is 'interesting'.
BT Wholesale said Fibre was now available, so I logged on to BT site and was able to place my order yesterday (14 Feb).
Everything proceeded as it should, until this afternoon when I checked my order status online.
My phone will be transferred from Sky to BT on 7 March. Originally my broadband was to go live on the same day. Now I am told that there is a 'technical' problem and they will call me on 8 March to advise what they will do with my broadband.
I told them it would be nice to know when they expect I will have broadband (of any speed) since without it I will not be able to work on my contracted work at home days. They weren't able to answer so are sending me a prepaid broadband dongle for 3G broadband.... not a good sign.
I'd recommend holding off on placing an order for now... looks like I will be without broadband for a while.
Standard User mbolton
(newbie) Tue 19-Feb-13 12:56:26
Print Post

Hi,

I had ordered around the same day and also have an activation date of 7th March - all looks to be on track on the BT site at the moment,

Mark.
Standard User arobinso
(newbie) Tue 19-Feb-13 13:25:38
Print Post

Were you already with BT?

I wonder if my potential delay is because I am moving from Sky?
My phone is due to transfer on 7 March before midnight, yet the engineer is due to visit to install Infinity between 8am-1pm on the same day. If the phone line has not been transferred then pretty sure he can't do that.

FYI: the message I have on my order is under the 'Your Appointment section'.
"We will contact you shortly to re-schedule your appointment, if you wish to contact us regarding this, please call us on 0800 800 150."

I suspect I will get my phone on 7th and Infinity a few days later, which wouldn't be a big problem. To be fair they've shipped me a 3G dongle to use in the period of downtime - not a perfect solution (especially since I am struggling to register it - the relevant webpage says my home address doesn't exist - odd!) but it's hard to complain at their efforts.
Standard User arobinso
(newbie) Thu 11-Apr-13 12:22:55
Print Post

Just to close this one off.
BT finally installed our Infinity. Getting download speeds of 58mb on average, which is a little below expected (63mb) but the engineer did say that the copper cable for our line in the cabinet was very thin (lots of work done on it before)... could affect the speed I guess. Performance over wireless is shocking even close up, not convinced the BT Homehub is up to much as my 6 year old wireless router held a more stable and faster connection. I suspect I may change it in the near future.
The process of switching to BT was very painful. Firstly they connected the wrong phone line so we were without a phone for a week. Slightly worrying that they never bothered to check we had an operating line before declaring it was available to use.
Then the broadband was delayed for 2 weeks.

However, one of our neighbours had Infinity installed earlier this week and their experience has been fantastic, so I put it down as a one off.

The end result justifies it all. Welcome to the 21st century!
  Print Thread

Jump to