General Discussion
  >> Broadband Not-spots & slow-spots

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User MartinBerney
(newbie) Thu 27-Sep-12 01:00:03
Print Post

My Home internet, what is going on?

[link to this post]

Hello guys! ever since joining TalkTalk, I never really thought about the general speed of my internet. So recently I've been keeping an eye on it. With speedtest.net Im reaching between 2Mb/s - 3.4Mb/s Download and an upload of .5Mb/s

My problem is all the houses on my street are supposedly able to have an average of 9.9Mb/s with a LOW of 5.4Mb/s.

After ringing TalkTalk about my internet speed they confirmed my HIGHEST acheivable DL speed is 5.2Mb/s

How can they quote a low of 5.4Mb/s but me a TalkTalk+ Member can only get as high as 5.2Mb/s.

I know people who work for BT and they confimed a standard phone line is capable of high speed DL/UL it is sheerly controlled by the provider. So can anybody tell me whats going on?

I've already written to watchdog UK so they can look into it.

Thanks
Standard User BatBoy
(legend) Thu 27-Sep-12 01:12:58
Print Post

Re: My Home internet, what is going on?

[re: MartinBerney] [link to this post]

Wrong forum, this ones for people who don't get 2Mbits.
Try http://forums.thinkbroadband.com/talktalk.html

_____________________________________________________________________________________________ this is not usenet __________________
Standard User XRaySpeX
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Thu 27-Sep-12 01:25:08
Print Post

Please include your router stats there.

1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 19 Meg WBC

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User 4M2
(fountain of knowledge) Thu 27-Sep-12 01:25:10
Print Post

In reply to a post by MartinBerney:
My problem is all the houses on my street are supposedly able to have an average of 9.9Mb/s with a LOW of 5.4Mb/s.

After ringing TalkTalk about my internet speed they confirmed my HIGHEST acheivable DL speed is 5.2Mb/s

How can they quote a low of 5.4Mb/s but me a TalkTalk+ Member can only get as high as 5.2Mb/s.

I've already written to watchdog UK so they can look into it.

Is you complaint that you are being quoted 5.2Mbps maximum when the lowest speed in your street is 5.4Mbps, i.e. 0.2Mbps slower than the minimum figure within the average range?

Possibly the download speeds are estimates and the actual download (throughput) speeds are dependant upon a wide variety of factors...
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Thu 27-Sep-12 09:18:43
Print Post

[re: 4M2] [link to this post]

Without connection speeds any further debate is almost useless, and similar with the other properties that are 'getting better'

I would also find some other people at BT to talk to. It is the length of the telephone line that is the biggest influence, and in the same street this can sometimes vary a lot more than just the extra 20 to 30m between properties.

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User flippery
(member) Thu 27-Sep-12 09:21:15
Print Post

What speeds were you obtaining before TalkTalk. Is your exchange ADSL2 enabled.
Looks like you maybe on a market 1 exchange.
I was with TalkTalk for many years and never got more than 3.5mb down, whilst neighbour got 6.5mb. IMO TT do restrict speeds on market 1 exchanges, especially if on Unlimited. Now with Eclipse on ADSL2 with 10mb down and 1mb up ( as TT refused to upgrade). I am however on limited quota but, suits my style of use.
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Thu 27-Sep-12 09:23:17
Print Post

[re: flippery] [link to this post]

Market 1 is not a valid way to determine where TalkTalk has its own network, and uses the off-net system.

Why? Because Ofcom does not automatically change the definitions and TalkTalk's own network covers half the homes served by Market 1 exchanges now.

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User MartinBerney
(newbie) Thu 27-Sep-12 11:10:47
Print Post

Okay my complaint is through the same line before I joined TalkTalk I was reaching 12Mb/s + no matter what time of the day it was.. TalkTalk have told me this is what my Avg speed (12Mb/s) would be in my 1st bill and welcoming package.... So why am I now capped at 5.2Mb/s?

High speed internet is needed for my line of work, I only chose TalkTalk because of its seemable great deal!

Cant wait to get rid of it now.

And for all those whom are winging about me posting in the wrong place.. I'm sorry
Standard User BatBoy
(legend) Thu 27-Sep-12 11:16:21
Print Post

In reply to a post by MartinBerney:
High speed internet is needed for my line of work, I only chose TalkTalk because of its seemable great deal!
Can't be that needed or you wouldn't have chosen cheap and cheerful, you'd have chosen a proper business-grade ISP.

_____________________________________________________________________________________________ this is not usenet __________________
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Thu 27-Sep-12 11:25:28
Print Post

Stats from the TalkTalk router, i.e. what speed is it connecting at.

For all we know there may be a good reason for the slow speeds, and the stats will help us to help you.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to