General Discussion
  >> Broadband Not-spots & slow-spots

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User MichaelJWP15
(newbie) Fri 19-Oct-12 11:41:54
Print Post

69db but only 1km from exchange?

[link to this post]

As the title says, my router is reporting 69db but I'm only 1km (straight line) from exchange. Now I'm only syncing at 1.5 mb which is right for the attenuation, but I don't see how it can be so bad with this distance. Even allowing for routing you would have thought it would be no more than 2km? Anyone heard of this problem before?

I'm with Sky broadband by the way.

Edited by MichaelJWP15 (Fri 19-Oct-12 11:42:35)

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Fri 19-Oct-12 11:56:48
Print Post

Re: 69db but only 1km from exchange?

[re: MichaelJWP15] [link to this post]

The telephone cable may have to go a long way around to reach you, e.g. rivers, motorways, railway lines

Have you actually confirmed the location of the exchange building, as some databases give wrong locations, and just double checking by exchange you are referring to a real building and NOT the green cabinet in the street.

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
(newbie) Fri 19-Oct-12 12:03:25
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

Yes, the location is right. Like you say, it may be detours in the cable path around railway/river but it does seem extreme.

Can the ISP ask BT Openreach to check there isn't something electrically wrong with the line?

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Fri 19-Oct-12 12:21:05
Print Post

They can, but if you post your router stats it can sometimes be spotted from just those.

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
(newbie) Sun 21-Oct-12 12:18:31
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

Router stats here, I'm now connecting at 2.1mb after a reset.

ADSL Link Downstream Upstream
Connection Speed 2176 kbps 604 kbps
Line Attenuation 67.0 dB 41.5 dB
Noise Margin 5.9 dB 9.0 dB
Standard User Ribble
(committed) Sun 21-Oct-12 12:38:39
Print Post

Is the line otherwise working correctly i.e dial tone, can make/receive calls ok?
Standard User ukhardy07
(experienced) Sun 21-Oct-12 13:23:37
Print Post

Is it a new house?

Often only very poor lines are left over to connect new estates as the old houses built previously use the shorter lines.

Also in some cases where there's no spare capacity or just routing reasons you might not connect to the closest exchange. If you forward me privately a post code I can double check your exchange.

Edited by ukhardy07 (Sun 21-Oct-12 13:26:21)

(newbie) Tue 23-Oct-12 11:12:35
Print Post

[re: Ribble] [link to this post]

The line is working fine for voice use, no noise or anything noticeable.

(It is a new house on a new estate)

Contacted Sky Broadband and they are sending a new microfilter. I have very low confidence of this improving matters!
Standard User ukhardy07
(experienced) Wed 24-Oct-12 17:33:48
Print Post

I have just checked out your post code. With it being a new estate most things don't even know that the road / post code exists.

The best that I can find is that the exchange appears to me 1.89km away straight line which is probably double or more in actual real terms.

Based on info etc you should see between 1 and 3.5 Mbps. To be honest it looks like this speed is perfectly correct. It's a bummer...
With the address being new it's possible the straight line checker is wrong but it's probably correct and would fit in with the speeds better.

Edited by ukhardy07 (Wed 24-Oct-12 17:39:42)

Print Thread

Jump to