General Discussion
  >> Broadband Not-spots & slow-spots

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User repoman123
(newbie) Thu 22-Nov-12 15:46:54
Print Post

thurmaston, leicester - god of all slow spots

[link to this post]

Hi everyone, first post here....

I'm pretty sure I've got no hope but on the off chance anyone can offer any sort of help or advice you would be an absolute legend.

I live in North Leicester in a place called Thurmaston. Unfortunately Virgin Media is not available in my area although there a properties that are less than half a KM away from my home (straight line, not driving distance) that do have it available (I know because my parents live close, where I used to live).

The worst thing though is the fact that my exchange is a little far from where I live. I think something like 3.5KM and the average internet speed in my area is 0.5-1MB. Absolutely dreadful. Every ISP that I've checked can obviously only offer me what the BT line can handle so for now I'm with Sky as they gave me a decent offer last year. I am now on a rolling contract though as it's been over 12 months.

Our exchange also won't be getting BT infinity either, it's currently not in the rollout plans which is a major bummer and stumps me because there are loads of houses connected to my exchange, almost whole of North Leicestershire (all of thurmaston and syston I think) and most of us get shocking speeds with the exchange (I suppose the closest to the exchange (syston) will be OK).

To top it off, there is an exhange significantly closer (south of my house) that is due to be accepting orders from Jan 1st 2013 (according to BT infinity website).

So I suppose after all of that, my question is - can I be connected to that exchange instead?

And I suppose if you have any answers, then why has my current exchange been overlooked?

Many thanks in advance.

Edited by repoman123 (Thu 22-Nov-12 15:48:29)

Standard User ccxo
(experienced) Thu 22-Nov-12 16:03:01
Print Post

Re: thurmaston, leicester - god of all slow spots

[re: repoman123] [link to this post]

Hi your exchange is Goscote, looking at the size 11500 lines and multiple isps plus 21CN and VM its quite likely that your exchange will appear in the December announcement by Openreach for their commerical fibre deployment.

http://www.samknows.com/broadband/exchange/EMGSCTE

Lecister has only really started its fibre rollout, 2 exchanges are accepting orders, 5 are coming soon and 6 are Future exchanges, their are only 2 exchanges not announced one is Goscote and the other BIRSTALL.

So from the above their is quite a way to go before Openreach will be getting to your exchange but they should as its very large and unlikely to be missed.

If in the odd chance Openreach do not plan to enable your exchange and cabinets it will be upgraded via the BDUK program for your County- work will start Autumn 2013 and carry on till 2015.

BT Infinity is the product name for BT retails FTTC offering, FTTC is sold on a wholesale basis by Openreach to all isp's- so BT/Sky/TT/Plus Net/Zen/Asdl24/Vivacity etc

You cannot be connected to the exchange to the south BELGRAVE.

Link to your BDUK program.

http://www.leics.gov.uk/broadband

If you contact them, they should be able to say if your area will be part of the intervention area- basically where commerical deployment will not go, if they say no then the market should deliver a upgrade.

My Broadband Speed Test

Edited by ccxo (Thu 22-Nov-12 16:05:39)

Standard User repoman123
(newbie) Thu 22-Nov-12 16:25:46
Print Post

[re: ccxo] [link to this post]

Many thanks for the response, you've given me a glimmer of hope which is significantly better than how I was feeling about it before. I suppose I will have to play the waiting game.

Also, where can I find out more about the December announcement by openreach?

Just out of interest, why is it that you can't be moved to a different exchange?

Thanks again.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User ccxo
(experienced) Thu 22-Nov-12 19:19:57
Print Post

The final commerical phase is expected to be announced in December, you will find it in a news article on the front page of this website once its announced.

It would be a very costly and time consuming project for Openreach to undertake for a single line, even getting them to agree would be very hard, as they say yes to one person then it opens the door etc.

My Broadband Speed Test

Edited by ccxo (Thu 22-Nov-12 19:20:30)

Standard User repoman123
(newbie) Wed 02-Jan-13 15:41:37
Print Post

[re: ccxo] [link to this post]

I kept an eye out on the home page through out December but didn't see any announcements for the final commercial phase - did I miss it or has it not been announced yet?

Thanks in advance.
Standard User WWWombat
(experienced) Wed 02-Jan-13 17:50:42
Print Post

Not a peep yet.

The place to look is on the Openreach Superfast Access Briefings page
  Print Thread

Jump to