General Discussion
  >> Broadband Not-spots & slow-spots

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User Livebox
(newbie) Wed 05-Dec-12 20:24:26
Print Post

Sudden change in Line statistics

[link to this post]

OK so we have ADSL over a long BT phone line out in the sticks, 63.5dB attenuation, 5.9dB noise margin. Maybe 2Mb download speed but always reliable. Last night the internet and landline phone stopped working completely. Was going to ring orange this morning but everything is working again, and the statistics of the line are very different. The line attenuation has changed to 59dB, noise margin is now 14.9dB and the connection mode has changed from fast to interleave. Download test shows a max speed of 231KB/s which is the same as before. What exactly has happened here? Is this a typical reaction to the line being repaired or something?

Line attenuation: 63.5dB, Noise Margin 5.2dB, Speed 2.3Mbps down/0.3Mbps up. Orange Livebox
Standard User XRaySpeX
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Wed 05-Dec-12 20:32:23
Print Post

Re: Sudden change in Line statistics

[re: Livebox] [link to this post]

All that info & you fail to state router's sync speeds. They are far more informative than the speedtests you quote.

Also post text results from http://speedtester.bt.com/ (not Beta).

1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 19 Meg WBC
Standard User Livebox
(newbie) Wed 05-Dec-12 20:38:02
Print Post

[re: XRaySpeX] [link to this post]

Good point sorry. download before would hover around 2848 which is an ip profile boundary, so sometimes we get 2.3mb download and sometimes 1.8. The sync speed now says it is 2272 yet thinkbroadband speed test files download at 231KB/s.

The speedtester from bt says 2.00 download and 0.35 upload. I am not unhappy with that speed but I am curious as to the reason for the stats to change.

Line attenuation: 63.5dB, Noise Margin 5.2dB, Speed 2.3Mbps down/0.3Mbps up. Orange Livebox

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Wed 05-Dec-12 21:20:37
Print Post

Can you post exactly what the router says, with no rounding

231 * 8 = 1848 Kbps which is pretty good for a sync speed of 2272 Kbps

The exact copy/paste of all the downstream and upstream figures may help indicate what has happened, e.g. you may have moved from IPStream to the WBC network.

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User Livebox
(newbie) Wed 05-Dec-12 22:24:00
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

From my router (livebox 1.1)

Connection mode : G.DMT
Type : Interleave
Noise margin (dB) : 14.9
Attenuation (dB) : 59.0
Attainable download rate (kbps) : 2400
ADSL status : Connected [0]

Downstream Upstream
Rate (kbps) 2112 448

It has gone down since my last post, and with this router the confusing "attainable download rate" is in fact never attainable, it is the downstrean rate that appears to be the max speed at any given time.

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Wed 05-Dec-12 22:30:35
Print Post

Attainable makes the assumption that the target noise margin is run at a lot lower setting.

Looks like old fashioned IPStream, so attenuation change may just have been a bit of cable changing in the local telephone network. As for why slower now - probably had a lower target value for the noise margin before. 9dB at a guess.

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User Livebox
(newbie) Mon 21-Jan-13 21:19:54
Print Post

Since my last post the noise margin has increased, sometimes as high as 14.5dB and occasional disconnects/ webpages taking forever to load. Other times the noise margin goes down to 7.9dB, I guess the router cant cope with such a wide fluctuation in noise.

I have seen several NTE5 replacement front panels on amazon, many people saying they got a much higher sync speed after swapping it. Anybody here had that experience? I have tried several different filters plugged directly into the master socket, and all telephone extensions disconnected, and the noise margin is not affected.
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Mon 21-Jan-13 21:24:24
Print Post

If with no wiring and using the test socket you still get disconnects (and no phone sockets work in the property) then faceplates are not likely to help as noise may be external to you

Standard User Livebox
(newbie) Mon 21-Jan-13 21:44:37
Print Post

Right. Ive just looked outside, there is a protective cover screwed to the wall of the house where the cable comes in from the ground, it has become very overgrown and the wires are now exposed to the elements. I can see a white and green pair, and an unused orange and white pair. I imagine that the weather hitting the wires is giving wild fluctuation in noise margin? Guess I have to ring my ISP now. Then they have to contact BT?
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Mon 21-Jan-13 21:59:16
Print Post

the fun bit is that if the engineers decide the cover was damaged by plant growth on your property in your control you may get charged for the visit - just warning you.

yes providers job to report and raise a fault visit. Of course it may not be that cover that is the issue

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to