General Discussion
  >> Broadband Not-spots & slow-spots

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User kevinrennie
(newbie) Thu 24-Jan-13 21:35:56
Print Post

Desperately seeking broadband

[link to this post]

Hi - I am a newbie looking for help. I see others have had similar problems, but I have not seen posts about a solution. About a month ago my broadband with EE / Orange went from a stable 5meg downstream to a very unstable and usually less than 0.3meg downstream. I have had EE / Orange first and second line support look at it and an engineer out who has tested the line and says it is delivering 7meg to my brightbox. He's tested the line and says it is fine. I have had a new router from EE, replaced all the cables and done everything they have asked. They don't know where to go and neither do I, other than trying to switch providers which I am minded to do in desperation. Any suggestions before switching would be most welcome.

Here are my router stats:

Broadband Type: ADSL
Broadband State: Connected
Internet State: Connected
Downstream Rate: 7072kbps
Upstream Rate: 448kbps

These stats are stable, but when I do a speed test / surf I get a very erratic response - usually 0.3 meg or less downstream and next to nothing upstream and just sometimes 5meg appears for a tantalising few minutes. There is no pattern for why I get the brief surge in performance. Mostly, over the last month it has been consistently terrible. Most frustrating.

Thanks all.

K
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Thu 24-Jan-13 21:41:02
Print Post

Re: Desperately seeking broadband

[re: kevinrennie] [link to this post]

What does www.speedtester.bt.com show for the service, and are speeds better for example in the morning 8am to 2pm

Have you got your attenuation and noise margin figures, e.g. if the noise margin is falling to 1 or 2dB you may have so many errors that the connection is continually correcting errors.

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
(newbie) Thu 24-Jan-13 22:03:28
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

Hi - no: not better - I have followed their instructions and get half a meg against an expected speed of 6meg and potential for over 7. Sorry to seem dumb, but I can't see attenuation and noise margin stats on my brightbox router information page. Is there a way of getting them elsewhere?

Thanks,

K

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

(newbie) Thu 24-Jan-13 22:11:13
Print Post

And there is no pattern on timing of peaks and troughs in performance - I have just had a temporary surge back up to 5 meg and now it is back down again. Grrr....
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Thu 24-Jan-13 22:13:20
Print Post

To find your router stats go… advanced set-up -> [accept] -> system -> adsl status

Half meg - try again in the morning and see if it is better

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
(newbie) Thu 24-Jan-13 22:17:06
Print Post

Thanks - here they are:
Noise Margin 26.0 dB upstream 5.5 dB downstream
Line Attenuation 13.0 dB upstream 20.5 dB downstream
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Thu 24-Jan-13 22:22:34
Print Post

Okay keep an eye on the noise margin if it goes slow and the noise margin for downstream is still around 4 to 6dB then its not the line and either

Orange congestion and changing ISP will help
BT Wholesale congestion affecting several providers in which case moving to a LLU service might help

(newbie) Thu 24-Jan-13 22:35:41
Print Post

Thanks Mr Saffron - I am most grateful. It is good to have a bit of understandable diagnosis. I will keep an eye on things, but I suspect the noise margin will be fine even when I am getting next to nothing by way of speed. I'm tied in to my contract until April, but will argue they should let me out of it because I can't run my business this way. l'll look at O2, I think, as they get the best speeds in my area. I'll update if anything changes. Over and out. Best, K
(newbie) Fri 25-Jan-13 08:52:52
Print Post

SSDD as they say - briefly (first test only) had good speed, and mostly terrible speed this morning. Noise margin downstream 6.4db, so perhaps a bit high but does not seem to fluctuate when speeds shift. So I will now look into switching. Best, K
(newbie) Fri 25-Jan-13 10:28:10
Print Post

Hi Mr Saffron (and others) - would be grateful for another word of advice. I've looked into LLU providers, and they are not available in my area - it all comes through BT Wholesale. So my question is: if I switch from Orange / EE with their currently variable and poor service to me, to another provider that is effectively piggy-backing on the same BT infrastructure, then what chance do I have of my service improving?

I've requested a MAC code, so the wheels are in motion, but I don't really understand why switching will fix anything in this scenario. Grateful for any clarification people can provide.

Best, K
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to