General Discussion
  >> Broadband Not-spots & slow-spots

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User doninwales
(newbie) Thu 21-Mar-13 12:14:50
Print Post

Alternatives to Infinity, which will never be available :-(

[link to this post]

I live in Cwmbran. Have been holding out for years for Infinity, buoyed (a little) in 2012 by the news that the exchange was to be upgraded in 2013.

I now hear that this has been done, and some cabinets in the town have been upgraded.

But have also heard that some have not, and will not, be upgraded.

I am already on the very edge of the area, and get a miserly 1.2Mbps. I suspect they won't be upgrading my local cabinet, as I 'suspect' it only services perhaps 200 or so properties.

So....

1) How to find out the name of the local cabinet, and definitively whether or not it will be upgraded?
I can see the cabinet, it is about 200 m away from me.
I've read posts of people who appear to have found their cabinet number AND details of whether and when it is due to be upgraded.
But I can't find any such list or checker - all checkers just take me to the BT checker which only gives exchanges, and not cabinets frown

2) Assuming they aren't going to upgrade the cabinet, what are the chances of me being able to order FTTP?
I've heard varying stories of how likely this will be etc..

3) Assuming I can't even get FTTP, then what are my alternatives?
I guess it has to be satellite of some form? I looked into a year or so ago and worked out quite expensive (even after a Welsh Government grant of £1,000). Are there any suggestions/ sites I could investigate?
I'm guessing I could get together with the community - ther're about 60-70 properties on my estate to look into some alternative.

4) Over the years I have heard of lots of communities that have got together and installed their own independant fibre network.
Is there some standard site where I could find out about how to do this myself?

Cheers,
Don
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Thu 21-Mar-13 13:09:22
Print Post

Re: Alternatives to Infinity, which will never be available

[re: doninwales] [link to this post]

cabinet number is given via BT Wholesale checker
http://www.thinkbroadband.com/btavailability.html

1. Definitively whether or not it will be upgraded?
Impossible to answer, as local authority projects are starting to get going, and even if commercial Openreach is coming back and doing infill sometimes.

2. If thinking fibre on demand, then nil. If willing to pay for leased line then no problem, just re-mortgage the house for monthly fees

3. Satellite, 4G or another fixed wireless solution, or whatever the Welsh Assembly will deliver.

4. No standard site, as many different ways to do it, but I would suggest trying to find out what is planned for your area by the Welsh Assembly.

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User doninwales
(newbie) Thu 21-Mar-13 17:06:01
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

Thanks for comments.

I couldn't get the cabinet number, because my telephone is with Sky, so couldn't use my telephone number in the BT Wholesale checker. And when you use a postcode it doesn;t give a cabinet number frown

Anyway, I just used my neighbour's phone number and was quoted cabinet number 6.
How interesting ......

Any ideas what I can do with it now..?

Reading various forum messages, I have read some people being able to check the upgrade plans of specific cabinets. However I now 'think' that although such a list 'was' available, I believe it was subsequently withdrawn and is no longer available frown

I've been waiting all through 2011 and 2012 with the 'vague' optimism that at least BT had announced they were upgrading my exchange in 2013. However, I want to know if they will be upgrading my local cabinet. Without that, the exchange upgrade is useless 'for me'.

Of course I'd prefer to know now, and consider alternatives, rather than wait another 6-9 months only to find out that they are not upgrading the cabinet frown

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User BatBoy
(legend) Thu 21-Mar-13 18:29:49
Print Post

Try the address checker, that should be more accurate than postcode.

Does the checker give any date for FTTC? If not, ask Openreach on nga.enquiries@openreach.co.uk

__________________________________________________________________________The back pedalling starts here__________________
Standard User yarwell
(sensei) Thu 21-Mar-13 22:54:59
Print Post

http://forums.thinkbroadband.com/otherbb/t/4208451-j... for satellite experience (recent)

--

Phil

MaxDSL - goes as fast as it can and doesn't read the line checker first.

MaxDSL diagnostics
Standard User Michael_Chare
(committed) Fri 22-Mar-13 17:36:11
Print Post

In reply to a post by doninwales:
4) Over the years I have heard of lots of communities that have got together and installed their own independant fibre network.
Is there some standard site where I could find out about how to do this myself?

You could approach www.Gigaclear.com The challenge is to get enough people to sign up to make the project economic. - Well that appears to be the problem where I live.

Michael Chare
Standard User Bewsh
(regular) Sat 23-Mar-13 12:48:40
Print Post

[re: BatBoy] [link to this post]

I'm in Cwmbran also and share your slow speeds. We'r up in Henllys, and unfortunately when the town was created I don't think the plan was at all favourable in terms of the DSL communications. The exchange being where it is, isn't exactly ideal for the newer expanding housing areas.

Even if fibre does come this way, I don't believe they will service the extremities. If the fibre implementation at all follows the main roads or existing copper lines it will cost too much for not enough return. E.g. I live about 2.5km as the crow flies to the exchange... however have a ADSL line attenuation of 68, meaning a 5/6km line?
Standard User LA7
(newbie) Wed 27-Mar-13 01:43:37
Print Post

Don what part of Cwmbran are you in I am also in cwmbran on the edge end of Llanyravon in Cwmbran over the last few months BT have been installing fibre cabs most of them in areas that already have virgin media see my thread here http://forums.thinkbroadband.com/fibre/f/4218627-ftt...

The other parts of cwmbran that have not had a upgrade yet as part of the Openreach commercial roll out e.g Llanyravon Croseyceiliog Henllys etc MIGHT be upgraded via superfast wales scheme if you click on this link http://www.superfast-wales.com/where-and-when then click on the new coverage map then scroll down and go to cwmbran it says some cabs are live, My mother live in greenmeadow she has virgin media and they install FTTC there now she has the option of Virgin or FTTC frown

Also Don on the new youtube video superfast wales have uploaded on their site http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded... it shows some homes will be covered by fttc and some via satellite or wifi / 4g etc

Edited by LA7 (Wed 27-Mar-13 02:28:41)

Standard User LA7
(newbie) Wed 27-Mar-13 01:51:33
Print Post

[re: Bewsh] [link to this post]

They installed a new fiber cab the other week on the turning off ty canol way on to thistle court here http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?hl=en&bav=on.2,or.r_qf... I checked for a friend the other day as we thought it might cover his house but the cab that serves henllys is on the turn that goes up to henllys nursery he was gutted

Edited by LA7 (Wed 27-Mar-13 02:16:50)

Standard User LA7
(newbie) Wed 27-Mar-13 01:59:24
Print Post

If i do not get fibre soon I am going to move or go over to satellite broadband Ka band satellite from TOOWAY best deal is from bently walker http://www.bentley-walker.com/tooway/tooway_home.php

I can install it myself the dish is the same size as the ka band one as the one used on the one stop shop in henllys that is used for their lotto terminal the dish can be ground or wall mounted as long as it has line of site to KA-SAT at 9'E,

Edited by LA7 (Wed 27-Mar-13 09:20:49)

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to