General Discussion
  >> Broadband Not-spots & slow-spots

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User doninwales
(newbie) Tue 09-Apr-13 08:34:05
Print Post

Who manages fibre rollout in Wales?

[link to this post]

(This is a follow up to my earlier question 'Alternatives to Infinity, which will never be available')

Per an earlier suggestion, I contacted nga.enquiries@openreach.co.uk to ask if/when my cabinet in Cwmbran would be upgraded (I already know that the exchange has been upgraded and that some cabinets in the town have been upgraded).

I received the reply:
"Thank you for contacting us about fibre broadband. From the address provided you are connected to the Cwmbran Exchange, cabinet 6.

The Welsh Government is now responsible for the rollout of fibre broadband in Wales.
Please see their announcement below"

Followed by some blurb and a web link: http://www.superfast-wales.com/home

So I go to this site. The site talks about how to find out 'where and when' etc...but only appears to talk in terms of exchanges. ie. where and when an exchange will be enabled etc.
Indeed, on the coverage map, for my Cwmbran exchange it states:

“This exchange is fibre enabled under BT’s commercial rollout. The first cabinets are live at the exchange and service is available in parts of the exchange area. Contact a Communications provider to check if Superfast broadband is available to your property. Other providers may also have enabled a fibre service in this area.”

So as far as superfast-wales is concerned the exchange is enabled. (which I knew anyway).
They suggest contacting a provider to find out if it is available to an individual household.
I have contacted Sky and they tell me its not (which I knew because my cabinet is not upgraded...doh...)

Furthermore Sky tell me that they do not have any further information and can't tell me if/when my cabinet will be upgraded. They advise that the only people who would know that is BT and that I should ask them.
Which I did.

And round and round I go....

I ask BT, who direct me to Superfast-Wales, who tell me to ask Sky, who tell me to ask BT.
Does NO ONE know?

Do the staff at BT turn up on Monday morning, put a finger in the air and say 'I think we will upgrade cabinet 14 today', or whatever....

Surely they have some sort of rollout plan in area, so that they know they plan to upgrade cabinets x through y over the next month or whatever.

I don't know where to turn now......
Do I wait in the vain hope that they will upgrade my cabinet.
Or do I look to getting satellite?
Or even FTTP-on-demand...?
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Tue 09-Apr-13 10:22:37
Print Post

Re: Who manages fibre rollout in Wales?

[re: doninwales] [link to this post]

Have you asked the Welsh Assembly, rather than just rely on the overview from the website?

The Assembly has the ability to give direction, i.e. say which areas should be done first, and probably the exchanges with no fibre service are being targetted first, rather than the infill in the more commercial areas. After years of campaigners saying that the rural areas need it most, they might be trying it that way around.

Another possibility is that your cabinet is on the commercial list, but unannounced as yet.

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User yarwell
(sensei) Tue 09-Apr-13 12:54:18
Print Post

did you email info@superfast-cymru.com ?

--

Phil

MaxDSL - goes as fast as it can and doesn't read the line checker first.

MaxDSL diagnostics

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User doninwales
(newbie) Wed 10-Apr-13 08:44:54
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

No I haven't asked yet, just looked at the web site. BUt from what I can see on the web site they are only concentrating at the level of an 'exchange' - and since my exchange IS fibre enabled, I don't see any more granular detail than that.

I want to know if my CABINET will be upgraded.....

I've been given an e-mail to try, so will send one today smile
Standard User doninwales
(newbie) Wed 10-Apr-13 08:45:22
Print Post

Thanks Phil smile

I will email them today!
Standard User LA7
(newbie) Wed 10-Apr-13 09:55:17
Print Post

The areas of cwmbran that have not had cab upgrades yet will have fast broadband options e.g cab upgrades 4g satellite etc in the financial year 2014-2015 this is what i was told buy superslow I mean fast cymru,

In reply to a post by doninwales:
(This is a follow up to my earlier question 'Alternatives to Infinity, which will never be available')

Per an earlier suggestion, I contacted nga.enquiries@openreach.co.uk to ask if/when my cabinet in Cwmbran would be upgraded (I already know that the exchange has been upgraded and that some cabinets in the town have been upgraded).

I received the reply:
"Thank you for contacting us about fibre broadband. From the address provided you are connected to the Cwmbran Exchange, cabinet 6.

The Welsh Government is now responsible for the rollout of fibre broadband in Wales.
Please see their announcement below"

Followed by some blurb and a web link: http://www.superfast-wales.com/home

So I go to this site. The site talks about how to find out 'where and when' etc...but only appears to talk in terms of exchanges. ie. where and when an exchange will be enabled etc.
Indeed, on the coverage map, for my Cwmbran exchange it states:

“This exchange is fibre enabled under BT’s commercial rollout. The first cabinets are live at the exchange and service is available in parts of the exchange area. Contact a Communications provider to check if Superfast broadband is available to your property. Other providers may also have enabled a fibre service in this area.”

So as far as superfast-wales is concerned the exchange is enabled. (which I knew anyway).
They suggest contacting a provider to find out if it is available to an individual household.
I have contacted Sky and they tell me its not (which I knew because my cabinet is not upgraded...doh...)

Furthermore Sky tell me that they do not have any further information and can't tell me if/when my cabinet will be upgraded. They advise that the only people who would know that is BT and that I should ask them.
Which I did.

And round and round I go....

I ask BT, who direct me to Superfast-Wales, who tell me to ask Sky, who tell me to ask BT.
Does NO ONE know?

Do the staff at BT turn up on Monday morning, put a finger in the air and say 'I think we will upgrade cabinet 14 today', or whatever....

Surely they have some sort of rollout plan in area, so that they know they plan to upgrade cabinets x through y over the next month or whatever.

I don't know where to turn now......
Do I wait in the vain hope that they will upgrade my cabinet.
Or do I look to getting satellite?
Or even FTTP-on-demand...?
  Print Thread

Jump to