General Discussion
  >> Broadband Not-spots & slow-spots

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User newwave19
(newbie) Thu 11-Apr-13 11:15:03
Print Post

Long line (10.32km)

[link to this post]

Hi,

I've been trying to get broadband at my parents address for the past 5 or 6 years with no success, and we kept being told that its due to the distance from the exchange, The last time we tried (about a year and a half ago) there was 1 night we picked up a signal for about 2 hours only. then a few days later was told that it wasn't possible. This is where the problem starts, I have just recently placed the order again as I have been made away that a neighbour approx. 300m further away from the exchange is receiving a stable connection, however once again there is nothing at my parents. How can this be?
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Thu 11-Apr-13 11:25:00
Print Post

Re: Long line (10.32km)

[re: newwave19] [link to this post]

300m further from the exchange physically, might possibly be closer in terms of cable distance which is what matters. Without access to the line records for the area it is difficult to be sure.

Basically you are waiting on your local authority to meet the 2 Mbps USC obligation, and fingers crossed they might do super-fast for you.

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User kitcat
(member) Thu 11-Apr-13 12:32:00
Print Post

Where in the country are they?
Postcode?

At that distance satellite or radio are the best solutions. If there are a cluster of houses BDUK should help but if a single house they may be one of the places not reached even by that money.

Some areas have grants to provide the initial connection for not spots (Wales is one)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Thu 11-Apr-13 12:42:30
Print Post

[re: kitcat] [link to this post]

Need to double check, but now the BDUK project in Wales has started have they ended their broadband support scheme

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User newwave19
(newbie) Thu 11-Apr-13 21:22:31
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

Sorry, postcode is BT602EN, its in Northern Ireland, and very rural too. As for the 300 metres further away from the exchange, I know the route at which the line goes as I have had a discussion with someone in BT wholesale head office about shortening the line by about 1km to 1 1/2km all for the sake of 1 pole and the wire to connect the 2 line (both from the same exchange and cabinet), but they said it still wouldn't guarantee receiving broadband (that's about 3/4 of a mile from the house and they houses there receive nearly 4Mb.

BT have passed it to the 2nd line team, lets just hope they're better than the 1st.

Thanks for all the replies so far.
Phil
Standard User XRaySpeX
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Thu 11-Apr-13 22:04:05
Print Post

You'd be lucky to get BB there at all:
For Postcode BT60 2EN

Available Products Downstream Line Rate(Mbps) Upstream Line Rate(Mbps) Downstream Range(Mbps) Availability Date

Featured Products
ADSL Max Up to 1 -- 0.75 to 2.5 Available
WBC Fixed Rate 0.5 -- -- Available
Fixed Rate 0.5 -- -- Available

1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC
Standard User newwave19
(newbie) Thu 11-Apr-13 23:06:30
Print Post

[re: XRaySpeX] [link to this post]

As I say, over the last number of years I have tried with no success (except for a couple of hours 1 night), but when the neighbour has now got it and lives a further 300 meters from the exchange, I can't think of any reason why we can't get it.
Standard User yarwell
(sensei) Fri 12-Apr-13 08:53:58
Print Post

In reply to a post by newwave19:
As I say, over the last number of years I have tried with no success (except for a couple of hours 1 night), but when the neighbour has now got it and lives a further 300 meters from the exchange, I can't think of any reason why we can't get it.

At some point in the network they may be on a better quality / larger diameter core cable, or just getting less interference for some reason. If it's 10km they aren't getting 4M but I may have misread that.

Do you have a new style NTE5 master socket where you're trying in the test socket and there's no dodgy wiring ahead of it ? There aren't any loading coils or other artefacts on your line and not theirs ?

--

Phil

MaxDSL - goes as fast as it can and doesn't read the line checker first.

MaxDSL diagnostics
Standard User newwave19
(newbie) Fri 12-Apr-13 09:32:03
Print Post

[re: yarwell] [link to this post]

Yeah, its the NTE5 socket, with an 4 cables going into the socket. 2 with orange on them connected to the faceplate, and the other 2 with green and black going to nowhere.

Nothing different on our line that's not theirs, the line comes up the road above ground, then at a pole beside the house it goes under ground for us, and continues above ground until my neighbours house.

My neighbour did say that the engineer was telling him that he was coming out to say it wasn't possible and that he was shocked he was able to get a signal.

The person getting the 4Mb is on a line of about 8km, but there is possibility of shortening the line for us at his house, and surely the signal shouldn't drop that much in 1km
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Fri 12-Apr-13 09:47:33
Print Post

4Mbps on 8km of phone line is still outstanding.

The by the book limit is that 6km gives around 0.5 Mbps.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to