General Discussion
  >> Broadband Not-spots & slow-spots

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User bcatly
(newbie) Sun 28-Apr-13 10:40:41
Print Post

Very slow connection

[link to this post]

I am fairly irritated that my connection is so down right bad and that my neighbor just a block away from me has some amazing internet connection... On his tests he will get about 30mbit/s with a realistic download speed of around 2-4 mbits per second when he downloads files but mine show up as 2mbits/s but I only recieve a measly 200Kb/s which I find fairly upsetting specially when I live in London where the connections are meant to be a lot faster. Here is a image about network exchange from cable.co.uk not sure if its reliable or not but was one of the only ones to show a network exchange graphical view.

My network exchange: http://postimg.org/image/m1vizroux/
My neighbor's network exchange: http://postimg.org/image/jltplx6s9/

When you see the distances it seems fairly outrageous to me.
If anyone could explain to me why this is like this then I would be completely happy to read a whole book worth of text about it.

Thanks for any help.

P.S. I live in Harrow,Middlesex

Edited by bcatly (Sun 28-Apr-13 10:46:39)

Standard User yarwell
(sensei) Sun 28-Apr-13 11:10:11
Print Post

Re: Very slow connection

[re: bcatly] [link to this post]

the connections aren't meant to be faster in London.

Let's get the units sorted out first - you download at 200 kbytes/s = about 2 Mbits/s or what ?

Run the speedtester on this site and post the results.

Tell us who your ISP is and what www.dslchecker.bt.com/adsl/ says for your phone number. If you can run http://www.speedtest.btwholesale.com/ do so including the second stage test where it asks for your phone number.

Are you connecting wirelessly or with a wire. Do you have filters on every telephony type device plugged into the phone system. Do you have lots of extensions.

--

Phil

MaxDSL - goes as fast as it can and doesn't read the line checker first.

MaxDSL diagnostics
Standard User WWWombat
(fountain of knowledge) Sun 28-Apr-13 15:33:24
Print Post

Re: Very slow connection

[re: bcatly] [link to this post]

Yarwell's answer goes down the proper technical route to investigating. Answer him before coming back to this one...

In reply to a post by bcatly:
If anyone could explain to me why this is like this then I would be completely happy to read a whole book worth of text about it.

The textbooks you really want are on economics, not on physics or communications theory.

Your neighbour has access to Virgin, but you don't, and that appears to be the major difference between the two right now.

Why? Virgin don't supply everyone - the regional companies that originally installed cable cherry-picked the most profitable areas, and were given government protection from competition, but still failed to make any money. After many takeovers, mergers and liquidations, Virgin has emerged as the one main national cable company. It is saddled with debt, and can't afford to expand.

And for regulatory reasons, it would appear to now WANT to get any bigger either - presumably for fear of being forced to allow other ISPs to deliver service over its cable (in much the same way as BT is forced to allow other ISPs to serve over copper and fibre).

What about BT's fibre - either FTTC or FTTP?

Well, the fact is that this rollout is governed by economics too.

1st, it can't happen for everyone overnight - that would be just too expensive. Someone has to be first, and someone has to be last. You might yet get the rollout.

2nd, it only happens where it is profitable. If BT has decided not to convert your cabinet, it is normally for economic reasons.

3rd, where un-economic, the government has decided the economics instead. They have allocated gap funding to subsidise areas as part of the BDUK process - and allocated £0 to Greater London. There is supposedly money for "connected cities", but I haven't seen plans for this to improve residential broadband in the suburbs.

4th is a technical issue - that your line can't handle fibre broadband, usually because it is too far from the converted cabinet, or because there is no cabinet at all. These aren't impossible issues to solve, but they take money... so we're back to the economics too. However, these are also the issues that BT tend to be holding back to the end of the rollout so you're back to issue 1 there.

P.S. I live in Harrow,Middlesex

Ah - there's the problem. The government think Middlesex doesn't exist any more, so didn't give it any money!

Seriously though, your best bet to finding out about superfast broadband is to contact Openreach, giving address and phone number details. Their email address is nga.enquiries at openreach.co.uk

It might also be worthwhile finding out if Virgin could be persuaded to extend coverage. Unlikely, but it has happened.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread

Jump to