General Discussion
  >> Broadband Not-spots & slow-spots

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User dakisan
(newbie) Fri 05-Jul-13 11:36:01
Print Post

Rural roll-out county line vs postcode

[link to this post]

We live in a rural not spot and are waiting for the day (year/epoch) when UK broadband enters the 21st century in our lane.

How can I find out which rollout plan I fall under? We live in two counties!

By the map, we're about 500m inside Surrey. By our postcode, we're part of West Sussex (we pay rates to Tandridge but the roads are maintained by Surrey Highways).

Many times we have run into problems getting institutions to acknowledge which county we're in so we've had trouble getting water bills set up, power too. Now with superfast broadband, will we be under the W Sussex or Surrey plan. Or just between the cracks. Who should I ask?

Thanks!
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Fri 05-Jul-13 11:41:22
Print Post

Re: Rural roll-out county line vs postcode

[re: dakisan] [link to this post]

Council Tax is first decider, the next will depend on which county the cabinet is in.

Surrey does have a postcode checker http://www.superfastsurrey.org.uk/roll-out-plans/

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User dakisan
(newbie) Fri 05-Jul-13 11:55:50
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

Thanks for the superfast rollout on the response there mrsaffron. You have my vote for taking over the bb rollout wink

Following that link it looks like I'm in W Sussex, they don't have my postcode in their list. Ties in with the council tax, plus I believe we're serviced by a box in East Grinstead.

Thanks again.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Fri 05-Jul-13 13:34:13
Print Post

Just a few miles down the road and it is a complicated corner as the borders wander around a lot.

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User WWWombat
(fountain of knowledge) Fri 05-Jul-13 23:21:50
Print Post

As MrSaffron says, the complexity arises when exchanges cover areas across boundaries, or cabinets cover areas across boundaries.

As you mention, postcodes don't stick to boundaries either - but I've seen BDUK projects state that while the summarising maps happen at postcode level, they have to consider individual properties. They don't write a property off simply because they believe, at postcode level, the area is covered.

So, having said that...

The councils are meant to consider the area outside their boundary by a few kilometres and then "negotiate" between the councils to determine which county takes responsibility.

Obviously this works in a reciprocal way, so there is a border zone where properties could be part of either scheme.

When North Yorkshire was the first county getting BDUK approval, and the plans were going through, you could see some exchanges outside the county boundary getting included in Openreach plans... even though they were in a county that hasn't signed a contract yet. I think Snaith exchange (East Yorkshire) is a beneficiary that has gone live, while Bubwith appears to be a "coming soon" beneficiary.

I *think* the distance is 10 kilometres.(as mentioned in the East Yorkshire public consultation document), while the Coventry/Solihull/Warwicks project specifies that the negotiation happens to make sure that every property is included, but only funded once.
  Print Thread

Jump to