General Discussion
  >> Broadband Not-spots & slow-spots

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User trumpet272
(newbie) Sat 10-Aug-13 13:27:48
Print Post

Another year of satellite....

[link to this post]

Hi all,

I'm now into my third year of satellite BB, at £100 pm, It's OK, downloads of files are great @ 20mps, but it's far from ideal for general use.

So I periodically look around to see if things have moved on, and they never have. I am in Wiltshire, 4km+ from the Burbage exchange.

The following info is very depressing!

You are connected to the Burbage telephone exchange.

ADSL is available in your area
Your exchange is also enabled for ADSL Max services
Your exchange is not yet enabled for ADSL2+ services
According to BT Wholesale, your line is very unlikely to be able to support ADSL, although a 256kbps service may be available.

Standard ADSL RAG results
You cannot receive 2Mbps ADSL
You cannot receive 1Mbps ADSL
You may be able to receive 512kbps ADSL
(Engineer visit likely)
You may be able to receive 256kbps ADSL
(Engineer visit likely)

Does anyone know if there are any other options available for me? (I've investigated line of sight but this seems a real headache) Someone mentioned you can contact BT and request an Access Point? Or am I stuffed for years to come?

Many thanks for your opinions
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Sat 10-Aug-13 13:35:00
Print Post

Re: Another year of satellite....

[re: trumpet272] [link to this post]

No idea what an access point is in this context.

Have you looked at whether the BDUK project for your area will help:
http://www.thinkbroadband.com/news/5693-bt-wins-cont...

Have you actually ordered an ADSL service to try and see if it works? It may be slow, but the lower latency will help for the stuff that satellite is not good at.

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User trumpet272
(newbie) Sat 10-Aug-13 13:46:01
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

Thanks, my area does appear under the intervention area, but I've been hearing expressions like "plan to hit targets" this and "xx% covered by 20xx" that for years now.

Interesting point you make about ADSL line. Could I potentially run one alongside my satellite BB? How does that work? Currently using the satellite modem and airport extreme router.

Thanks again.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Sat 10-Aug-13 14:51:39
Print Post

[re: trumpet272] [link to this post]

In theory yes, probably best to use a Linux distro on an old PC to create a powerful router, and route sites accordingly.

The current BDUK projects are happening and delivery is starting, alas so much PR before any connections get delivered in an area.

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User gah789
(newbie) Sat 10-Aug-13 18:06:39
Print Post

I have switched to and from satellite. At a lower cost than you are paying, I rely upon mix & match between ADSL ~400 kbps lines and a 3G WIBE setup that can manage up to 3 Mbps but has a download limit. For 90% of the time the ADSL lines (I have 2 for business continuity reasons as the lines aren't too reliable) are good enough. I use the fast 3G connection for large downloads, but I manage them pretty carefully and I don't stream iPlayer, play games or similar.

I have never managed to get the level of intelligence in a multi-WAN router to make it possible to distribute the traffic automatically. They may exist if you are willing to spend £1000+ plus a lot of time on experimentation. The problem is that the majority of my medium/large downloads don't come from a limited set of sites and don't rely upon specific protocols not used for other purposes.

I have used satellite services on and off for more than 5 years. I found the latency and, in the past, the operation of bandwidth policies to be a major problem. The issue was not the overall limit on downloads but the fact that the policies were designed to make you spread the limit evenly over a week or month. So one large Apple update would cause all kinds of problems. Even a slow ADSL line was better than that.

The final choice depends on how you are going to use your access. But I would be surprised if you can't get more out of a combination of services than by relying on satellite alone and it should certainly cost you less.
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Sat 10-Aug-13 18:34:50
Print Post

[re: gah789] [link to this post]

Must admit while I have two connections (both ADSL2+) I've never tried to do anything automatic.

Generally just doing big uploads on one connection, and then gaming on the other, i.e. very manual load balancing. Most load balancing routers want two connections of similar speed and latency.

Interestingly there is http://www.draytek.co.uk/products/vigor3200.html but not cheap at £330

Standard User nemeth782
(regular) Sun 11-Aug-13 09:45:05
Print Post

In reply to a post by MrSaffron:
Must admit while I have two connections (both ADSL2+) I've never tried to do anything automatic.

Generally just doing big uploads on one connection, and then gaming on the other, i.e. very manual load balancing. Most load balancing routers want two connections of similar speed and latency.

Interestingly there is http://www.draytek.co.uk/products/vigor3200.html but not cheap at £330

The 2830n is cheaper at £180 and better suited with one Ethernet WAN (for sat) one VDSL/ADSL WAN (for DSL) and provision for a 3g dongle.

http://www.broadbandbuyer.co.uk/Shop/ShopDetail.asp?...

It will load balance itself by round robin or by recorded line speed, or it can be set to use whichever WAN as failover for whichever other. They are good reliable routers.

If you want true bonding, you need to look at something like a Firebrick 2700, or a Mushroom Networks Truffle or Portabella. These are expensive options though and for a full (up and down) bond you need one at each end (so one hosted at your ISP or at a datacentre).

RevK from AAISP has been testing a Tooway sat service, using an xDSL link to return the TCP Acks, improving speed for things that don't work with the modems TCP acceleration, like L2TP.

http://revk.www.me.uk/2013/07/you-canna-change-laws-...

Paying £100 a month for an unlimited connection probably puts you on a Tooway service while renting the kit as opposed to buying it. If this is a long term solution, you might be better to buy!
Standard User fearby
(committed) Sat 28-Sep-13 09:58:02
Print Post

Try Mikrotik - these routers are cheap and have a big following.
Get two or three phone lines and bond them as per here:

http://wiki.aa.org.uk/Router_-_RouterOS_and_Routerbo...

I bond two phone lines and have a 5MB connection in Hicksville as a result.

You can also load balance the satellite and adsl line with a Mikrotik but it takes a while to learn how to set things up.
Standard User brandscill
(regular) Tue 01-Oct-13 09:23:58
Print Post

[re: fearby] [link to this post]

Think it's worth exploring ADSL. I was told 1mbps tops and got 2 in the end so similar could apply here.
  Print Thread

Jump to