General Discussion
  >> Broadband Not-spots & slow-spots

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User Fraycat
(newbie) Wed 14-Aug-13 23:30:46
Print Post

Another Cwmbran Post

[link to this post]

Hi,

I've just moved to Cwmbran but stupidly didn't think to check on the broadband connection for my postcode as the house is relatively new I assumed it would be okay.

It transpires that I am in a slow-spot which for someone who plays wow and works from home is not great. I know, I know, I should have checked! I'm getting about 1mb download and 0.4 uploads.

I can see that the exchange has been upgraded and I also see that in the middle of town and around some external roads Virgin Media is active.

I've managed to find out that my cabinet is 67 - how do I find out when I can expect this to be upgraded to fiber? Do I contact BT Openreach? Or the Welsh website?

I'm almost scared to find out if it's 20 and never!
Standard User yarwell
(sensei) Thu 15-Aug-13 00:03:13
Print Post

Re: Another Cwmbran Post

[re: Fraycat] [link to this post]

should do better than 0.4 upload as ADSL2+ and LLU available http://www.samknows.com/broadband/exchange/SWCRS

http://www.superfast-cymru.com/where-and-when seems to reflect the Openreach site so I would start there.

--

Phil

MaxDSL - goes as fast as it can and doesn't read the line checker first.

MaxDSL diagnostics
Standard User Fraycat
(newbie) Thu 15-Aug-13 00:11:11
Print Post

[re: yarwell] [link to this post]

Thanks smile

Those sites don't go down to CAB level though I think? I've e-mailed the Welsh people to start with, hopefully they'll have a contact to ask at BT Openreach!

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User yarwell
(sensei) Thu 15-Aug-13 01:07:53
Print Post

always worth posting yr postcode in case someone has access to useful info

--

Phil

MaxDSL - goes as fast as it can and doesn't read the line checker first.

MaxDSL diagnostics
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Thu 15-Aug-13 07:54:09
Print Post

[re: yarwell] [link to this post]

Exchange areas are usually announced
http://www.thinkbroadband.com/news/5976-annoyingly-t...

Exact cab level info tends to only appear just before cabs appear.

To the original poster can you post the router stats there may be more speed available or you really are 7km or more from the exchange

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User wood49
(regular) Thu 15-Aug-13 18:09:07
Print Post

I donít know where cabinet 67 is but it is interesting that it is not activated. Cabinet 68 on Ty Canol Way at its junction with Thistle Court is activated. Cabinet 69, Junction of Ty Canol way and Henllys Way is not activated. Cabinet 71 that serves Henllys village is not activated.
This seems to be confirming the rumour that cabinets will be only activated if they are commercially viable.
I would like to know if this is true as I know several people on cabinet 71 and the normal ADSL speeds for cabinet 71 are appalling.
Standard User btbert
(member) Thu 15-Aug-13 18:53:31
Print Post

[re: wood49] [link to this post]

"This seems to be confirming the rumour that cabinets will be only activated if they are commercially viable"

I think BT OR do like to make some money back on them !

these comments are my own and in no way represent any company that i may or may not be linked too.

http://www.speedtest.net/result/2420497773.png
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Thu 15-Aug-13 18:58:52
Print Post

[re: btbert] [link to this post]

Cabinets enabled under the BDUK projects (and some of the new cabinets in Wales may still be part of the commercial roll-out remember) are done on a gap funding basis and the budgets are fixed, so it makes sense for the roll-out to be doing the ones which are closer to being economically viable.

With the clawback mechanism if these early cabinets reach commercial take-up levels, BT may have to give some money back. Which could then be recycled to do those harder to reach cabinets that they thought were not viable originally.

it is a very moveable feast, in part because you don't know all the costs for an individual cabinet, e.g. power until you do all the paperwork and power company reply. Then you get cases where people object to location, and it has to be moved, or fingers crossed this is caught in planning stage when its just a day or so of paperwork wasted.

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User paulby
(committed) Fri 16-Aug-13 17:50:59
Print Post

In reply to a post by Fraycat:
I've managed to find out that my cabinet is 67 - how do I find out when I can expect this to be upgraded to fiber? Do I contact BT Openreach? Or the Welsh website?

I'm almost scared to find out if it's 20 and never!

Try this site:

http://fttc-check.alc.im./

TalkTalk
Standard User Fraycat
(newbie) Fri 16-Aug-13 23:24:15
Print Post

[re: paulby] [link to this post]

Thanks everyone for your replies. Paul, we're on the same cabinet!?

I emailed the Welsh site and got the reply that my cabinet will be upgraded but they can't say when. I'll put up the info tomorrow as I'm on the iPad.
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to