General Discussion
  >> Broadband Not-spots & slow-spots

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User dave73
(newbie) Tue 27-Aug-13 23:11:54
Print Post

Sub 2 mbps speed in West Sussex

[link to this post]

Hi

I live in Chidham in W Sussex (PO188TB). My house is on the Bosham exchange, Cabinet 3.
The service I get it typically around 1-2Mbps which is frankly not good enough for me to work from home.

The Bosham exchange is due to be upgraded to Fibre at the end of September 2013.

When i check a number of cabinets using http://www.dslchecker.bt.com/ that are connected to the Bosham exchange, they typically state that FTTC will be available from 30-Sep-13 and give some estimate of performance.

However, when I check my address or any address connected to Cab 3, no mention of an FTTC service is provided, just an ADSL service.

I am wondering whether my cabinet will be upgraded when the exchange is upgraded. BT (my ISP) says fibre will not be available until Dec-14. However there is new green case right next to the old brown Cab 3. Does a new case imply fibre will be enabled?

Moreover, even if it is enabled, given that my house is 1.6km (by road) from Cab 3, will I see any improvement in performance? If so does anyone have any idea what sort of performance I might receive.

I have considered satellite broadband but latency is a big problem for my work on the internet so I think it is a non-starter.

Thanks
Dave
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Tue 27-Aug-13 23:34:18
Print Post

Re: Sub 2 mbps speed in West Sussex

[re: dave73] [link to this post]

The checkers often don't have a date for cabinets that are appearing. If your normal street cab has gained a new neighbour with slots for vents then yes fttc is on the way just no certainty on dates yet

1.6km will probably only see speeds in the 10 to 15 Mbps range

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User timtiny
(newbie) Tue 31-Dec-13 18:45:11
Print Post

[re: dave73] [link to this post]

Hi, I have no idea about exchanges, cabinets et al. I just know that my connection is so slow that a disabled carrier pigeon would be faster. Despite a number of visits (and no shows) by OpenReach I have never had more than .5 megabits and now it is so slow I cant get the Broad band speed checker to work. I am at my wits end and paying money to BT for nothing. Can anyone help?

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User MCM
(fountain of knowledge) Tue 31-Dec-13 23:28:14
Print Post

[re: timtiny] [link to this post]

Start by entering your phone number into the BT phone checkerand see what it has to say about your phone line. This should tell you to which exchange and cabinet your phone line is connected and the various broadband services that are available to you and the speeds that you should expect. With luck it might also tell you whether FTTC is planned for your cabinet and a planned date for installation in which case it will might give also give an estimate of the speeds that you could expect to see if you moved to FTTC.

If you have no luck with the BT checker you might have more luck with the West Sussex BDUK web site which might tell you whether there are plans to upgrade your cabinet.
  Print Thread

Jump to