General Discussion
  >> Broadband Not-spots & slow-spots

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User Loading
(learned) Sun 20-Oct-13 15:32:22
Print Post

tie pair mod

[link to this post]

is a tie pair mod the same as a lift and shift?
Standard User Zarjaz
(knowledge is power) Sun 20-Oct-13 15:46:27
Print Post

Re: tie pair mod

[re: Loading] [link to this post]

Pretty much, though sometimes used to describe a cease and reprovide, to get the circuit on to a wholly different part of the DSLAM.

Standard User Loading
(learned) Sun 20-Oct-13 15:51:26
Print Post

[re: Zarjaz] [link to this post]

after a tie pair mod the attenuation increased hissing on the line, and halved speeds 2.5mb to 1mb, faulty port?

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User Zarjaz
(knowledge is power) Sun 20-Oct-13 15:54:24
Print Post

I would seriously doubt it. Sounds more like an HR fault, or possibly dodgy filters.

Standard User Loading
(learned) Sun 20-Oct-13 16:03:01
Print Post

[re: Zarjaz] [link to this post]

the fault is only after the tie pair mod in the exchange, similar to this solved with a lift and shift
I have previously had a longstanding & reliable BT broadband service with no dropouts
possibly with white noise on the phone line, that goes away when you unplug the router
Standard User Loading
(regular) Sat 26-Oct-13 14:17:10
Print Post

Anyone?
Standard User yarwell
(sensei) Sun 27-Oct-13 14:44:43
Print Post

so you had a good service, then what happened to prompt the tie pair mod ?

Zarjaz suspects there's a line fault

if you only have BTw in your exchange and it's small there may be very limited value in lift and shift unless it was a bad port.

A tie pair can be defective Your line would have a FTR based on its initial training, this is the fault threshold, so if the speed has halved you have a fault and should complain.

If you have audible noise problems complain to your voice provider.

In the end it's down to Openreach etc to fix via your retailers, we can't do it here smile

--

Phil

MaxDSL - goes as fast as it can and doesn't read the line checker first.

MaxDSL diagnostics
Standard User Loading
(regular) Sun 27-Oct-13 15:26:04
Print Post

[re: yarwell] [link to this post]

Firstly I asked for a snr reset as it had risen to 12db, they explained there was a fault (battery voltage) the engineer just turned up one day fidled with the line, called from the exchange saying he had fixed the fault by doing a tie pair mod, after this the attenuation increased by 6db, the noise margin up/down dropped by about 8-9db, at the same speed. Could it be the tie pair is faulty then, as I was told this had fixed the battery voltage? Bt have told me they will get btwholesale to look at the line?
Standard User Gadget
(committed) Sun 27-Oct-13 19:26:52
Print Post

It is possible that you were swapped onto a different pair, and that pair was in a different cable which had a higher loss because of the cable copper gauge or because it took a different route back to the exchange.
Standard User Loading
(regular) Sun 27-Oct-13 20:52:43
Print Post

[re: Gadget] [link to this post]

I thought that but what would cause the hissing when the router is connected, tried filters everything isolated? Last engineer said highly unlikely swapped e-side, as not many pairs available?
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to