General Discussion
  >> Broadband Not-spots & slow-spots

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User Livebox
(learned) Thu 07-Nov-13 18:24:21
Print Post

2 wire 2700HGV with Texas Instruments DSLAM

[link to this post]

Hi there

I am trying to improve my adsl line, I have 59dB attenuation, and recently connected a 2 wire 2700HGV router which connects slightly faster than my old router, and the noise margin has dropped from 9dB to 7dB. Looking through the router admin pages, I can see this line:

DSLAM Vendor Information Country: {46336} Vendor: {TSTC} Specific: {4101 }

A quick google returns this as being a Texas Instruments DSLAM. I have a netgear DG834GT in the post, which one of these two routers is likely to work better with a Texas Instruments DSLAM? Any other info to be gleamed from the "specific" field?
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Thu 07-Nov-13 19:34:51
Print Post

Re: 2 wire 2700HGV with Texas Instruments DSLAM

[re: Livebox] [link to this post]

Whats the full set of stats, we can tell if you are connecting at the higher end of speeds expected at that attenuation, or just use http://www.coolwebhome.co.uk/calc and throw the figures at that

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User Livebox
(learned) Thu 07-Nov-13 19:42:43
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

Downstream sync 2976kbps
Attenuation 59.1
noise margin 7.0

According to the website you linked to my speed is very good, so I can't really complain. We do suffer from random delays, where pages take ages to load, or fail to load. Then you refresh the page and it is fast again. I am wondering if these stats are good or bad for a long line:

Since Current Current Time Since
Reset 24-hr int. 15-min int. Last Event
ATM
Last Event
Cell Header Errors 145 145 16 0:00:25
Loss of cell Delineation 18 18 0 0:16:40

DSL
Link Retrains: 1 1 0 2:55:48
DSL Training Errors: 0 0 0 0:00:00
Training Timeouts: 0 0 0 0:00:00
Loss of Framing Failures: 0 0 0 0:00:00
Loss of Signal Failures: 0 0 0 0:00:00
Loss of Power Failures: 0 0 0 0:00:00
Loss of Margin Failures: 0 0 0 0:00:00
Cum. Seconds w/Errors: 98 98 10 0:00:25
Cum. Sec. w/Severe Errors: 0 0 0 0:00:00
Corrected Blocks: 3086 3086 86 0:00:05
Uncorrectable Blocks: 158 158 17 0:00:25
DSL Unavailable Seconds: 50 50 0 2:55:30

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Thu 07-Nov-13 22:29:30
Print Post

If the line was giving no errors then a modem that let you tweak the target noise margin to a lower value could gain you some speed.

The stalls may be nothing to do with the ADSL, and more down to ISP, caches, DNS lookups, a long ping sequence can help show if the line is stable or wandering around.

Will another router get you more speed by matching the chipsets - maybe, maybe not. What works for some does not work for others due to the variations in noise characteristics

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User Livebox
(learned) Thu 07-Nov-13 22:47:12
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

A while ago the line used to run on a 6dB noise margin, it went very high when there was a serious problem with the telephone line, which got fixed by the ISP but the noise margin never fell below 9dB.

The 2700HGV is currenty saying 7, and has gone down to 6dB briefly a few times when I have checked the stats. Am I right in thinking that the router set the noise margin at 9, and currently due to the noise increasing a bit the available noise margin left has fallen to 7?

If that is the case then I hope I can set the margin lower, and then have it fall to 5 or so when the noise is higher.

I know the DG834GT can set the noise margin via telnet, but I don't think I can set it on the 2700HGV.
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Thu 07-Nov-13 23:04:30
Print Post

On the noise margin falling, probably the case. A router restart and seeing what the noise margin is as soon as the modem syncs will reveal if ISP has dropped target at all

Standard User yarwell
(sensei) Fri 08-Nov-13 09:46:52
Print Post

the Netgear 834 v3 used TI chipset which worked well with TI DSLAMs on long lines, similarly Zyxel older (black) modem/routers. Later Netgears used Broadcom DSL chips.

The Zyxel 660 series were the only thing that synced on some lines.

--

Phil

MaxDSL - goes as fast as it can and doesn't read the line checker first.

MaxDSL diagnostics
Standard User MHC
(sensei) Fri 08-Nov-13 12:13:02
Print Post

The 2-wire 2700s work well with all DSLAMs and have an excellent reputation on long lines.

I have seen cases where they will sync at 3dB - after a reasonable period of stability. Background noise changes continuously and is higher overnight giving a lower SNR, however the 2700 can hold the connection even with a negative SNR - I have seen -0.7dB.

Run Router Stats Lite and you will see how it performs over 24 hours - then compare that with the Netgear.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

M H C

taurus excreta cerebrum vincit
Standard User Livebox
(learned) Fri 08-Nov-13 15:34:00
Print Post

[re: MHC] [link to this post]

Good idea with the routerstats lite, I have left it logging once a minute for 24 hours to see how the snr varies on this particular line.

The dg834gt came today that I ordered, it successfully connected at a higher sync if I lowered the noise margin with the handy dgteam software. I am hoping if I leave the 2wire connected then the dslam will eventually lower the 9db noise margin, as the 2wire does seem to be rated as more reliable on forums.

Interestingly I have a dg843 v3 that I connected some time ago a few times and it always ran slower than the livebox v1, so I never used it.
Standard User MHC
(sensei) Fri 08-Nov-13 17:05:46
Print Post

You need to compare the router when they are using te same SNR whether it is 6dB or 9dB. The 2700 has moved to 9dB for a reason and if you ave tweaked te Netgear you will find it looses sync more often or there are greater numbers of errors.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

M H C

taurus excreta cerebrum vincit
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to