General Discussion
  >> Broadband Not-spots & slow-spots

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User GonePostal
(newbie) Tue 31-Dec-13 10:05:46
Print Post

Impact of fibre broadband roll-out

[link to this post]

In our part of deepest Northumberland we are now told that as part of the Superfast Britain project we are in the timetable for fibre broadband roll-out by December 2014.

Because we are at the end of several kilometres of copper and have never previously been on any roll-out plan I have not taken much notice of fibre broadband so have some naive questions. Currently our village has quite a bit of aluminium wiring so the luckiest people can get about 2.5Mb download but the other end of the village struggles to reach 512Kb.

I am presuming that the actual implementation will be fibre from the exchange to our local cabinet (approximately 1km away with the connection from there to our village partly underground and partly by overhead line).

Reading up as best as I can through the various information sources on the internet I think that those signing up to a fibre product might get 25Mb download - have I got that right? However, the main question is whether the FTTC implementation will have any impact on the speeds for those remaining on their existing broadband set-up? Are we effectively moved from a 6km copper link to the exchange to a 1km copper link so even if we remain on the existing basic ADSL we will see an uplift towards 8Mb download speeds?

Apologies if this has all been asked before and thanks for your patience.
Standard User MCM
(fountain of knowledge) Tue 31-Dec-13 14:25:10
Print Post

Re: Impact of fibre broadband roll-out

[re: GonePostal] [link to this post]

However, the main question is whether the FTTC implementation will have any impact on the speeds for those remaining on their existing broadband set-up?
No. However if your connection is impacted by cross-talk from other ADSL connections it might possibly slightly improve if those connections move to an FTTC service.
Are we effectively moved from a 6km copper link to the exchange to a 1km copper link so even if we remain on the existing basic ADSL we will see an uplift towards 8Mb download speeds?
No. If you stick with ADSL you will still be served by equipment housed in the local exchange. Only those who switch to FTTC will be connected to fibre via the FTTC cabinet that will be located close to your existing PCP cabinet.
Standard User GonePostal
(newbie) Tue 31-Dec-13 14:44:38
Print Post

Re: Impact of fibre broadband roll-out

[re: MCM] [link to this post]

Thanks for the response. Now to find the best deal for fibre!

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread

Jump to