General Discussion
  >> Broadband Not-spots & slow-spots

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User danoid
(newbie) Thu 02-Jan-14 16:16:05
Print Post

Whiteley Broadband

[link to this post]

I live in a place called Whiteley, between Southampton & Portsmouth.

I am connected to Cabinet 102, and BT can offer and outstanding and remarkable broadband speed of 0.2mbps (they said on the phone the other day)

I've checked today, but thought i'd check my neighbours who can get 17mbps! err hang on, the telephone entry point is less than 1meter.

I've checked the BT wholesale and says i'm connected to Cabinet 102 Whiteley Exchange, my neighbours doesn't say the cabinet but says its connected to Locks Heath exchange, strange but fair enough...

The annoying bit is, next to Cabinet 102 is a newer Infinity cabinet with the vents, and looking at Google Street Maps, the picture was taken in September 2012, yet it's still not working

https://local.google.co.uk/maps?q=po15+7dq&hl=en&ll=...

Now on the MORE frustrating bit, I emailed nga.enquiries@openreach and they say "Yes the cabinet is fibre live, order Broadband from your provider and we'll enable it"

I get excited (for the 1000th time) ring BT and they say "nope, you cannot get infinity, just 0.2mbps"

I asked BT if they can talk to BT Openreach and they said it's illegal and can't I need to contact my MP!!!!

I just don't understand what's going on, the whole of Whiteley is only around 15 years old top, it's not in the middle of Mordor or anything like that.

What other options do I have to get this resolved? I'm thinking of making a lengty case with information and pass to Watchdog or something, but all I want is broadband and it shouldn't be this difficult.

My postcode is PO15 7DQ, if thats helps
Standard User MCM
(fountain of knowledge) Thu 02-Jan-14 23:46:31
Print Post

Re: Whiteley Broadband

[re: danoid] [link to this post]

How far are you from cab 102? If it's more than 1-1.5Km your speed even if connected to an FTTC service is likely to be pretty low as VDSL speeds drop off faster than ADSL as the distance increases. BT won't offer an FTTC service unless you are likely to see an improvement in speed.

Using your phone number rather than your address what does the BT checker have to say about your line? For example what speeds does it say you should be seeing for ADSL? Does it mention FTTC?
Standard User Gadget
(committed) Thu 02-Jan-14 23:46:47
Print Post

locks Heath and Whitely are two separate exchanges. Whitely grew out of Locksheath around the time of the construction of the M27 and the Whitely Business Park

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User danoid
(newbie) Fri 03-Jan-14 08:20:54
Print Post

[re: MCM] [link to this post]

From the cabinet im about 100m at most, give or take a bit for unknown routing.

I moved in the house in October, but refuse to pay £30 a month for sod all, so I don't even have a landline. Especially as we got mobiles.
Standard User MCM
(fountain of knowledge) Fri 03-Jan-14 08:56:39
Print Post

So with no landline or phone you don't really know to which exchange or cabinet your line, if you were to have one, would be connected nor the speeds that you might see. Hardly grounds I would have thought for a complaint.

Have you considered approaching another supplier such as PlusNet or Zen, both of whom can arrange the installation of a phone line, and asking them what sort of connection your line might be capable of achieving, especially given that nga enquiries believe you to be connected to the nearby cabinet 102 and your neighbours are seeing reasonable speeds.
Standard User danoid
(newbie) Fri 03-Jan-14 09:29:03
Print Post

[re: MCM] [link to this post]

The problem is, I asked BT. Do I have a right to cancel paying for phone and broadband if the speeds are [censored], but they said as I've been told it's 0.2mbps then I can't complain.

When doing the check again, it says my neighbour is connected to a different exchange to me now, but doesn't list the cabinet they connect to.

I want to have broadband and telephone, but not worth £30 a month for 0.2 meg.
Standard User brandscill
(member) Fri 03-Jan-14 09:48:30
Print Post

I find it hard to believe you'll only get 0.2mbps being only 100m (isn) to the exchange. It could be that the information is wrong. Probably worth ordering it.
Standard User danoid
(newbie) Fri 03-Jan-14 10:12:05
Print Post

[re: brandscill] [link to this post]

That's what bt said.

When checking zen like you said, it says estimated speeds 3.5, which is still very [censored].

I just don't understand what the new bt infinity cabinet is doing, it's been dormant for atleast 16 months, yet no one can order infinity, I've checked every roads post code near me and all nout
Standard User brandscill
(member) Fri 03-Jan-14 11:07:02
Print Post

Could be the case they're waiting to link it up still. Could have been complications in running fibre to the cab, building the cab is the easy part.

Surprised Zen say 3.5 and BT 0.2 as they both should have got their information from BT Wholesale I would have thought.

3.5 is better than nothing, and it could end up being faster.
Standard User MCM
(fountain of knowledge) Fri 03-Jan-14 12:33:52
Print Post

I just don't understand what the new bt infinity cabinet is doing, it's been dormant for at least 16 months,
16 months isn't that unusual as there is somewhat more to installing FTTC than the local cabinet, however given that NGA enquiries have told you that it is live why not write to them again and ask why, if it is live, you are unable to order.

Incidentally, given that you have no phone line how do you know that you are connected to cab 102? Also, if checking your neighbour's phone number on the BT wholesale checker it gives no cabinet this most likely means that your neighbour's line is what is called an Exchange Only or EO line. That means the line goes directly to the exchange and not via a cabinet. Currently EO lines cannot get FTTC although some EO lines are being altered by what is called a network rearrangement so that they go via a cabinet. This is expensive and customarily only done as part of a BDUK scheme.
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to