General Discussion
  >> Broadband Not-spots & slow-spots

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User psf2010uk
(newbie) Tue 07-Jan-14 22:31:41
Print Post

Speed loss in evenings

[link to this post]

Hello,

Not sure if this belongs here - as I do (sometimes) get > 2 Mb/s.

I'm in a rural location in Glos, aprox 2 miles from the exchange and am having problems with streaming radio (to a Logictech Squeezebox). This changes during the day from fully acceptable until 4pm-ish, when it degrades to almost unusable (frequent interruptions, drop-out of program content for 5 - 10 s, and occasional loss for minutes at a time). Doesn't seem wireless-related - same problem when running over ethernet.

General internet performance is also worse in the evening, but mostly OK for browsing.

Speed tests show the connection rate drops from ~3 Mb/s early in the day, to < 1 Mb/s and lower, late afternoon/evening . Speed profile is also highly variable in the evening, much less so earlier.

Have (several times) run speed tests at http://speedtest.btwholesale.com - these show a reasonable connection speed -but maybe I haven't caught the connection at a bad point, yet:

Download speed: 2.59 Mbps
Upload: 0.38 Mbps
Ping latency: 63.13 ms

Additional tests:

Download speed achieved during the test was - 2.59 Mbps
For your connection, the acceptable range of speeds is 0.6 Mbps-7.15 Mbps.
Additional Information:
Your DSL Connection Rate : 4.1 Mbps(DOWN-STREAM), 0.45 Mbps(UP-STREAM)
IP Profile for your line is - 3.5 Mbps

Router stats (sorry - spacing/formatting lost when posting):

Upstream Downstream
Data rate 448 kb/s 4128 kb/s
Noise Margin 24 dB 11 dB
Attenuation 44 dB 41 dB

Near End Indicator Far End Indicator
Fast Path FEC Correction 0 0
Interleaved Path FEC Correction 5848 299427
Fast Path CRC Error 0 0
Interleaved Path CRC Error 77 287
Loss of Signal Defect 0 --
Fast Path HEC Error STR 0 0
Interleaved Path HEC Error 0 0

Noise margin doesn't change more than a dB during the day.

Have been in contact with my ISP over the last couple of months, and, while supportive, they haven't come-up with anything concrete so far:

1. The line should give 3 - 5 MB/s, so if I get >3 Mb/s at some point during the day, the line is performing as it should.
2. It is a contention issue, and nothing can be done.

Questions:

1. I think it does sound like a contention problem, but is it correct that the ISP can do nothing?
2. Downstream SNR seems to always be around 10 - 11 dB. Would a new modem/router be able to work with a lower value, and get a higher connection speed?
3. Any advice on things to try/how to progress this (either with the ISP, or DIY)?

Thanks in advance - and sorry for the long post/Paul

Notes on set-up:

1. LJU4 dual socket box on incoming connection - (at least) 6 or 7 years old - no test socket. No extensions or additional wiring in the socket - just the incoming connection. Ring wire connection lifted (i.e. not connected)
2. Modem/router is a USR9111 - from 2007. No firmware updates released since then, so hardly "state of the art"
3. Ethernet from modem to NAS box, which runs the Logitech Squeezebox server
4. Ethernet from NAS to wireless router, then wireless connection to Squeezebox
5. Changed ADSL filter 2 months back, and wired connection from filter to modem - no changes noted. However, it was a cheap ebay filter...
Standard User Zarjaz
(knowledge is power) Tue 07-Jan-14 22:37:40
Print Post

Re: Speed loss in evenings

[re: psf2010uk] [link to this post]

How long had the router been in sync for when you pulled those stats ? Theres a fair few errors if it was only for a short while.

To my mind you downstream sync rate should be a fair bit higher than that.

The upstream attenuation looks 'odd', are you able to try a different make of router ?

Standard User psf2010uk
(newbie) Tue 07-Jan-14 22:52:04
Print Post

[re: Zarjaz] [link to this post]

Hi,

Connected for 7 days.

Good suggestion about trying another router - will see if I can borrow one.

Thanks/paul

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User j3214
(newbie) Wed 08-Jan-14 06:53:40
Print Post

[re: psf2010uk] [link to this post]

Hello there,

The attenuation seems a little bit odd I'd say, as the downstream is usually roughly twice the upstream. This is usually caused by poor filters and/or dodgy wiring (within the house). But there is a chance that the modem readings may be incorrect, and therefore it should be nothing to worry about if that is the case.

As for the Noise Margin, it appears to be acceptable and a small amount of fluctuation is normal.

I do not know how to interpret Interleaved Path FEC Correction (I don't know how much is acceptable), but I'm sure someone here will.

To me it seems that it may not be a fault of your own or because of the cabling between you and the exchange, though I cannot guarantee that. It may be congestion.

May I ask which ISP you are using? You appear to be on the BT network, which can be horrible for congestion.
  Print Thread

Jump to