General Discussion
  >> Broadband Not-spots & slow-spots

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User kmaryj
(newbie) Sat 18-Jan-14 16:36:26
Print Post

Optimisation of a very slow BT connection - advise please

[link to this post]

Hi,

Had broadband for years but never got into the techy side of it, until recently when my connection became so slow, it's barely usable.

I've run both the BTW speed test and the one from this site and they both come up with .13Mbps. BT say they are pushing 1Mbps, but say the difference is due to me being at the end of a long line.

I was with Orange previously but had lots of lengthy drop-off so decided to switch, although when it did work it was much faster than the .13Mbps that I now receive.

Would anyone have any recommendations as to the best modem to use to optimise the little I am getting. At present I am using the BT hub with a separate NetGear router (due to wanting to use devices in the bedrooms and the BT hub wasn't quite up to it)

Thanks,

kmaryj.
Standard User TomPoolHD
(learned) Sat 18-Jan-14 20:49:33
Print Post

Re: Optimisation of a very slow BT connection - advise pleas

[re: kmaryj] [link to this post]

Well I will vouch for the Billion 7800N. I have has this router for a while and the WIFI range is way superior to any of my old routers (BT home hub 3 , plusnet standard router). The billion is great for long lines as it uses a Broadcom chipset, and you can use some of it's features like the SNR tweak to squeeze out the best of your connection.

http://www.increasebroadbandspeed.co.uk/billion-7800n

I'm running a 2.6 mile line (by road) on 53db attenuation at 5230kbps sync not bad at 6db with the Billion. Hope this helps.
Standard User Zarjaz
(knowledge is power) Sun 19-Jan-14 19:35:32
Print Post

Your best bet would be to contact your current ISP, BT Broadband, and see if they will arrange a 'boost' task for you, getting an engineer out to check over your current line and installation. They normally seem very keen to raise these type of tasks.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User Crimsonknight3
(newbie) Mon 03-Feb-14 22:50:15
Print Post

I'm not sure that this applies to all area's but now it is against the rules for any person to have less than 1mbp/s. If it is the case that yours is under that, then BT aren't keeping up their end of your contract. Personally I think quite often this "length of line" excuse is just a load of rubbish. I am 2 miles from our exchange and getting attrocious speeds! They are people 800m FURTHER away from our exchange that are getting speeds MUCH MUCH better than me...

Are you connected directly to the exchange or a local cabinet?
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Mon 03-Feb-14 23:22:46
Print Post

[re: Crimsonknight3] [link to this post]

What rules?

The only legal recourse is the USO which is still sat at 28 Kbps.

There is a weaker USC but that is not due to even worried about until 2015, and maybe 2017 depending on the part of the country you are in.

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User Crimsonknight3
(newbie) Mon 03-Feb-14 23:27:16
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by MrSaffron:
What rules?

The only legal recourse is the USO which is still sat at 28 Kbps.

There is a weaker USC but that is not due to even worried about until 2015, and maybe 2017 depending on the part of the country you are in.

Really? I was told by sky when we moved into our current place a few months ago and were only getting 0.7mb/s that if they couldn't improve it beyond 1mb/s then we could choose to leave them without any financial repercussions. Even if our contract wasn't complete
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Tue 04-Feb-14 09:22:00
Print Post

A provider is free to offer such get out clauses, but there is no legal obligation.

I would also check your contract to see if it mentions this as a fact, since you would expect it to be in the T&Cs. Otherwise tendency is to think this was a sales person saying what they needed to to get a sale.

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User yarwell
(sensei) Fri 07-Feb-14 08:57:16
Print Post

In reply to a post by Crimsonknight3:
Really? I was told by sky when we moved into our current place a few months ago and were only getting 0.7mb/s that if they couldn't improve it beyond 1mb/s then we could choose to leave them without any financial repercussions. Even if our contract wasn't complete

That's so they aren't accused of mis-selling you a higher speed than they could deliver.

--

Phil

MaxDSL - goes as fast as it can and doesn't read the line checker first.

MaxDSL diagnostics
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Fri 07-Feb-14 09:30:35
Print Post

[re: yarwell] [link to this post]

Which leaves people on long lines possibly chasing a mythical beast called speed

Print Thread

Jump to