General Discussion
  >> Broadband Not-spots & slow-spots

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User Livebox
(learned) Sun 19-Jan-14 16:36:41
Print Post

Options other than ADSL in rural area

[link to this post]

We get a max of 2.3mpbs from our ADSL line. I would like faster speeds as I am a website developer, and I could do with not only a better download speed but also a better upload, currently we only have 0.3mbps upload. The options appear to be:

Satellite Broadband: 20mb down and 6mb up but data usage is expensive, ping is 500-600ms also I would imagine contention is quite high on this kind of connection?

Bonded ADSL: Ties two or more ADSL lines together to behave as one connection, but is alot more expensive than other options.

3G or 4G router. I have a 3G mobile phone that I have run tests on and although sometimes you can get 3mbps or higher it is very erratic and often cuts out altogether. We are about half a mile outside of EE's official 4G network map, and given that they are often pretty optimistic with their coverage maps I would imagine a 4G signal would not be any faster than the currently available 3G.

2 questions, firstly what is contention like on a satellite connection, and also If I got a 3G/4G router with a decent external antenna what speeds might I see from this compared to a mobile phone which presumably has a fairly space concious antenna design.
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Sun 19-Jan-14 22:36:41
Print Post

Re: Options other than ADSL in rural area

[re: Livebox] [link to this post]

Have you checked what is likely to happen in your area with the BDUK projects?

Satellite contention can be an issue, and those without issues tend to be those with low usage allowances.

Have you checked whether you can get fixed wireless - or using an external 3G/4G antenna to improve signal for that.Devices like the WiBE can improve 3G and its faster variants and they will happily sit on a window sill rather than outside.

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User neils58
(newbie) Mon 20-Jan-14 06:11:52
Print Post

Satellite latency would drive you insane for general browsing and online gaming so you'd have to keep your ADSL line going, and at that point bonded DSL isn't too much more. 4G sounds promising, a decent external directional antenna should more than make up for the distance, but it'll be a few hundred quid for the right kit and data allowance is even more expensive than satellite.

Definitely check out local Wireless ISP's, I see from your profile that you are near York, maybe clannet.co.uk could help you out.
I'm in a similar position ADSL wise in rural somerset, but thanks to being on a hill with good views around I was able to get a fixed wireless service installed from nearly double the mapped coverage on their website (I'm around 8 miles from their mast) The service is "up to" 8Mb down 512Kb up but I get around 6Mb, not sure if this is down to range or congestion/limits at their end (their link to the net is only ADSL1) as I don't have any authentication details to look at the wireless stats on the bridge. They should be upgrading the service to 20Mb/4Mb this year once FTTC reaches the area, which is just as well since it looks like my local cab isn't going to be upgraded.

Only problem with it is the [censored] data allowance of 20GB/month, fine for general browsing but useless for streaming HD. I've kept the ADSL connection going for when I need to do large transfers.

Alternatively you can set up a wireless bridge yourself If you have Line of Sight to a friend in an area with decent broadband. Ubiquity Nanobridge M5's are great and very affordable.

Edited by neils58 (Mon 20-Jan-14 06:15:13)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User Livebox
(learned) Tue 21-Jan-14 17:52:20
Print Post

[re: neils58] [link to this post]

I was under the impression that satellite broadband is just about usable for browsing, but annoyingly slow for VOIP or gaming. I guess it depends on the alternatives, nobody who had a choice between 20mb fibre and 20mb satellite would choose the sat connection, but browsing on a 2mb adsl means several seconds to load a new page when clicked so when making an overal comparison it may not be as bad.

I think I will look out for a reasonably priced 3g router, and maybe consider 4g when the pricing has fallen slightly (and by then other options may have changed aswell). It looks like some Billion adsl routers can link adsl and a 3g sim card into one connection, similar to bonding 2 adsl lines.

Thanks for advice as usual people!
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Tue 21-Jan-14 18:36:03
Print Post

VoIP and Skype are possible, but there will be lag, so a heated/fast conversation might not be ideal, but a standard paced conversation would be fine.

The latency is partly fixed by browser caching and caching by the satellite provider, since most small images on a webpage are not changing a lot.

One of my ADSL lines is down to just 2 Mbps currently, from its usual 6 Mbps (side effect of storms) and am continuing to do all my usual work and browsing.

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User blueacid
(committed) Mon 10-Feb-14 22:38:33
Print Post

To what extent have you worked to speed the line up? Everyone so far seems to have taken it as written that 2.3meg is the best you can manage.

Also, have you got access to a Three mobile phone? Their coverage can differ to EE; if you get a "one plan" sim and chuck it in a phone (not a mifi or similar) you are able to tether. I find that with mine I can get a 3mbit upload at times, so it whips even ADSL2+ annex M into the ground on that one.
Standard User eckiedoo
(committed) Tue 11-Feb-14 11:27:45
Print Post

To follow up on Liveacid(?), have you carried out the basic approach of ensuring that your PHONE Line is "clean", by doing a quiet Line Test?

Very easy to do-

Use preferably a simple, corded phone; but the corded base unit (if provided with built-in speaker) would be suitable.

Do the test initially with minimal disturbance to your set-up; and using an ADSL/Phone Splitter.

Repeat it without the Splitter.

Dial 17070

Select and Dial Option 2 (Option 4 in SKY)

If there are no obvious noises, tones, "snap, crackle & pop", etc, aprt from an almost inaudible hum, then your line appears to be fine.

About 30 seconds to do!!

However, if you do hear anything untoward, then you have to try to pin it down the source.

Find the NTE (The point where the OPENREACH BT (Outside) Line is terminated, usually in a white box, with Sockets etc on it.

Depending on the precise type, you may have to take off the outermost part of it, to expose the Test Socket.

At that point, none of your other phone sockets, if any, should work - no dial tone.

Repeat the two Tests above, ie with and without the Splitter.

If you hear anything untoward, you should report it as a PHONE FAULT ONLY to your Phone Services Provider. Avoid mentioning BROADBAND in any shape or form.

Reconnect the parts and internal lines

Whether the Outside Phone Line is quiet or not, repeat those tests on some/all of your internal sockets, listening for (more/different) noises.

If (additional) noises are heard during this part of the process, you will have to try to track the source/s down.

These may be within the house and/or your control; or may be elsewhere.

A partial list would be anything plugged in to the phone sockets directly; but can be others such as Plasma TV sets, microwave cookers, Baby Alarms etc etc.

When disconnecting any such devices, ensure that they are fully "killed off" by unplugging from the Mains.

Any remedial action is for you to arrive at, as those internal devices are your responsibility, not OPENREACH etc.

As a WEB Developer, it will also be good experience for advising your clients.
Standard User Livebox
(regular) Tue 11-Feb-14 16:35:25
Print Post

[re: eckiedoo] [link to this post]

I have given the adsl line a thorough inspection, and swapping the router boosted my speed to 2.3 from 1.8. When testing the line with 17070 there is a feint crackling noise, which I am sure effects the broadband slightly, unfortunately the line passes "line tests" conducted by my ISP so they are not prepared to deal with the issue unless my speed drops below 1mb.

My main reason for considering a 3g based solution is due to the increased upload speed available, my adsl exchange does not have annex M so I am stuck at 0.3 upload regardless of how much I improve my line.

I might consider one of the billion bipac routers that has a dual wan setup, so I could get at minimum my adsl speed, plus any speed that the 3g adds. They are fairly expensive though.
Standard User domb
(newbie) Tue 11-Feb-14 17:06:10
Print Post

Could you post your line stats please?

Are you pegged at 0.3 megabit upload due to your line performance? Annex M might improve this by changing the up/down bit loading (as you mention, but is unavailable).

The reason I ask is a lot of people assume 448kbit upstream is the maximum possible from a 20CN exchange, when an 832kbit upstream product is also available (IP Stream Max Premium) but is not offered by many ISP.

Regards
Standard User eckiedoo
(committed) Tue 11-Feb-14 17:13:20
Print Post

Take a look at CONNECTIFY DISPATCH.

I have no experience of DISPATCH; but it may achieve your needs more cheaply.
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to