General Discussion
  >> Broadband Not-spots & slow-spots

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User fiddler
(member) Mon 20-Jan-14 15:22:24
Print Post

Llandovery SWLKD

[link to this post]

Hello all,

I'd appreciate some advice for future broadband options for this small corner of rural Wales.

My property is served by the Llandovery SWLKD exchange, cabinet 2 according to the BT checker.

We're just under 3 miles from the exchange by road (which is pretty straight and the poles follow this) and downstream attenuation is 53db giving me downloads of 2.5-3Mbps.

The exchnage is due be 21CN enabled at the end of this month but given the distance to the exchange, I'm not holding out hope for any speed increases.

Superfast Cymru states that the Llandovery area us undergoing further planning and surveying but even if FTTC comes to town there's still a lot of copper between us and the exchange.

So, what I'm slowly coming round to asking is, is 2.5-3Mbps all I'm ever likely to get via conventional (given our monthly 100GB+ usage) means?

p.s. apologies if in the wrong forum

Regards,

Rob

Edited by fiddler (Mon 20-Jan-14 15:24:30)

Standard User Zarjaz
(knowledge is power) Mon 20-Jan-14 16:57:22
Print Post

Re: Llandovery SWLKD

[re: fiddler] [link to this post]

What stats do you see from your router, and are these improved if checked again from the test socket ?

Standard User fiddler
(member) Mon 20-Jan-14 17:53:10
Print Post

[re: Zarjaz] [link to this post]

ADSL Link Downstream Upstream
Connection Speed 2176 kbps 224 kbps
Line Attenuation 58.0 db 31.5 db
Noise Margin 15.1 db 11.0 db

This is not truly representative though as our line has had some problems of late in the wet weather and an engineer is coming out this Thursday - I've had 5 losses of connection already since 10am.

This morning when I checked, downstream connection was around 4000, attenuation 53db and noise margin was 12

Regards,

Rob

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Mon 20-Jan-14 17:56:54
Print Post

That's better and if it becomes stable you could go faster, perhaps another Meg with a lower target noise margin.

With FTTC it is not distance to the exchange that matters, but distance to the cabinet. Your chances of the cabinet being enabled depends on the BDUK project for the area.

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User fiddler
(member) Mon 20-Jan-14 18:13:07
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

Thanks.

Well, I found the cabinet on google maps and it's 2.5miles away so I suppose there's scope for a meg or so extra but is that it?

Am I stuck with copper for life or until such time that it may, if ever, get replaced?

Regards,

Rob

Edited by fiddler (Mon 20-Jan-14 18:19:13)

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Mon 20-Jan-14 18:26:18
Print Post

2.5 miles - I would stick with the ADSL or ADSL2+ connection. VDSL2 has run out of steam by then usually.

You are getting above the 2 Mbps USC level, but as the goal is not 100% at superfast speeds yet, then you are probably not looking at major improvements until 2017 or later.

A lot hinges on how many properties are within 200m of your location, if just 2 or 3 then no hope. If 50 to 100 then might see something more interesting like possibly native FTTP.

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk

Edited by MrSaffron (Mon 20-Jan-14 18:27:21)

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User fiddler
(member) Mon 20-Jan-14 18:43:10
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

Thanks again.

By my reckoning, about a dozen or so properties frown

There is another exchange the same distance in the opposite direction on the main road so some form of high capacity/speed connection must exist. How are exchanges or cabinets linked?

Regards,

Rob
Standard User pbsolo
(newbie) Mon 20-Jan-14 19:32:03
Print Post

I'm also on that Llandovery exchange, I have a feeling I might also be on the same bit of wet string too! I'm a bit closer and the ADSL speed here is actually as good (sometimes) as 9.5 megs but nominally 7.7 megs.,.. at between 7 to 9 dB. If your noise margin is that high,.. you're being throttled.

BT in their wisdom 'profile' all the lines round here and hence I'm lucky to see line tests of much better than 5 megs of that. I notice that the exchange boards are also often left locked to 2.5 meg and you have to really scream blue murder to get them to lift that restriction.
There is a bunch of new kit waiting to be installed but given past performance, that could take longer than they have suggested. Westend Cafe does pretty well out of it though!

Please do not ask really difficult technical questions, answers may be a lot shorter than expected!
Standard User Zarjaz
(knowledge is power) Mon 20-Jan-14 19:42:07
Print Post

[re: pbsolo] [link to this post]

If your noise margin is that high,.. you're being throttled.

No, if the noise margin is that high, DLM has 'seen' an issue and has tried to stabilise the service. The OP has already mentioned that he is seeing a fair few drop outs.
BT in their wisdom 'profile' all the lines round here

BT Wholesale applies profiles to ALL it's lines.
I notice that the exchange boards are also often left locked to 2.5 meg

Could you explain this further please, because it doesn't make any sense to me.

Standard User fiddler
(member) Mon 20-Jan-14 21:58:13
Print Post

[re: pbsolo] [link to this post]

Ah, there's nothing like a West End breakfast....

How far out from town are you? I'm out near Abercrychan.

Zen e-mailed me on the weekend to say that the exchange had been "upgraded" - 21CN I'm guessing. Have your speeds improved?

Regards,

Rob
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to