General Discussion
  >> Broadband Not-spots & slow-spots

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User Crimsonknight3
(newbie) Mon 03-Feb-14 22:41:29
Print Post

Local Cabinet Speed <3mbps, Actually getting 1.5

[link to this post]

Hi there,
We have been having a terrible time with speed since moving into our new flat at the beginning of last December, I have been on the phone to sky for a total of about 6 hours trying things to improve speeds and the best we could get was 1.8mbps and that made the connection very unstable and the speed would jump from 50kb/s to 300kb/s on any download and games were all but unplayable.

My Speed Test Results:
http://www.thinkbroadband.com/speedtest/button/13914...

Now we are switching to BT and upon connection I am going to seriously harass them about our local cabinet. There is a black hole around about 50/100m around this one cabinet where everyones speed seems utterly appalling! Yet only 120 ish metres away from our house in all directions Fibre Optic is available AND even standard speeds are Triple or Quadruple that ours is, and our building is only about 10-15m from what i suspect is our cabinet!

Now I know the cabinet that serves most of the poor speed houses in this little hole is Cabinet P109, now underneath I have included a picture from Google Maps, I am wondering whether anybody would be able to tell me if either of those looks like a BT cabinet and if so, maybe any info you have on whether it is an extremely old model?

I've looked in real life and if it ever did have a yellow sticker with its cabinet number it's gone now but considering it's extreme proximity to our house I can only assume it is also the one serving our house.

Thanks in advance all smile

http://i211.photobucket.com/albums/bb77/Ricky16_2007...

Edited by Crimsonknight3 (Tue 04-Feb-14 00:22:03)

Standard User Ribble
(experienced) Mon 03-Feb-14 22:47:26
Print Post

Re: Local Cabinet Speed <3mbps, Actually getting 1.5

[re: Crimsonknight3] [link to this post]

I am wondering whether anybody would be able to tell me if either of those looks like a BT cabinet

No, look like cable tv cabinets, have a look at the marking on the foot way box covers on the pavement next time you pass, probably say CATV.
Which exchange ?

Edited by Ribble (Mon 03-Feb-14 22:50:06)

(newbie) Mon 03-Feb-14 22:52:05
Print Post

[re: Ribble] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Ribble:
Which exchange ?

High Wycombe, we are around abouts 2km from the exchange, however from all the information of other connections in my area, there are people 2.3 & 2.8km away from our exchange that are getting much better not fibre speeds.

Ill have another look when it's day time, guess me and my 13 m/o daughter get to go cabinet hunting again hahaha

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

(newbie) Mon 03-Feb-14 23:07:17
Print Post

Also, I've just spent some time on google maps, getting house's addresses that are near mine, that picture i've put on, my house is the other side of that bush right in front of you, now RIGHT behind where you would be standing were you taking that picture, is a house called 7 barry close, I just checked their line and they are using a different cabinet (P9) to ours.

The house next to ours (On the main road, Cressex road) is also using P9 and getting decent speeds + fibre!
The house IN FRONT of ours (again on the main road) is ALSO using P9.. It seems the flats we are in (4 houses into 8 flats) are the ONLY ones using P109

Here is a picture of our situation. I've checked all the addresses surrounding us. This picture is old though, so the green box is where our building is now, but the rest seems to have barely changed

http://i211.photobucket.com/albums/bb77/Ricky16_2007...

Edited by Crimsonknight3 (Mon 03-Feb-14 23:16:17)

Standard User Ribble
(experienced) Mon 03-Feb-14 23:15:44
Print Post

PCP109 is junction New Road/Fernie Fields.
As for FTTC, I'd take a guess that it will be coming but you may have to wait a few months at least smile
(newbie) Mon 03-Feb-14 23:20:18
Print Post

In reply to a post by Ribble:
PCP109 is junction New Road/Fernie Fields.
As for FTTC, I'd take a guess that it will be coming but you may have to wait a few months at least smile

I can see the cabinet now, it's quite far from us.... but it seems strange that all the houses around ours are using a different cabinet and getting better speeds/overall connection.. I find it confusing as to why only ours is connected to that particular cabinet and none others near us...

Edit: Okay, now I've been checking around address all around the Cabinets physical location and none of them seem to be using it, just P100 and P9

Edited by Crimsonknight3 (Mon 03-Feb-14 23:23:19)

Standard User Ribble
(experienced) Tue 04-Feb-14 10:14:32
Print Post

Not many which is why it's had to wait for BDUK funding.
You may be better off posting about your current connection woes in general broadband to see why it's so slow. You'll need to post you ADSL line stats from the router.
(newbie) Fri 07-Feb-14 20:50:51
Print Post

I rang BT (who we are switching to on the 17th) today and they said they can't send an engineer to the Cabinet until the 18th once I've switched but the guy I spoke with said it does seem quite strange that nobody else in our area is connected to this cabinet and he said while it may look old on the outside they can still improve the components on the inside but he also admitted that we shouldn't be getting 1 fifth of the speed of every other house near us and certainly seems odd that every other house is now fibre enabled bar ours. It will just be a waiting game now, but I found the one most other people are connected to (P9) and it's ALOT closer and ALOT newer than P109.

I would be interested to know where P36/P51/P52 are located though, I've been building up a map on google earth marking cabinet locations and which houses are connected to which cabinet/their standard available (or tested) broadband speed, should the engineer claim that there isn't an issue with the cabinet and we should be the same as everyone else etc
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Sat 08-Feb-14 00:07:53
Print Post

Have you any idea of the history of the area?

I'm wondering if whatever that building was that your flats now use part of the site was there for donkeys' years (in effect out in the countryside) before all the surrounding houses were built.

So that building and a few scattered around would be served from 109, but when a developer came along and started building a few hundred, additional cabinets were installed to serve them.

Openreach would use the existing cabling to your site to supply you, and it could be taking a devious route round the other scattered ones I mentioned. Thus accounting for the length/attenuation you posted elsewhere.
Broadband Link	Downstream	Upstream
Connection Speed	2059 kbps	605 kbps
Line Attenuation	67.5 dB	40.4 dB
Noise Margin	6.3 dB	11.11 dB
As has been said in the other thread, there is nothing wrong with your speed, for that attenuation.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk | Domains,site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - Plusnet UnLim Fibre (FTTC). Sync ~ 59.4/14.4Mbps @ 600m. - BQM

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Allergy information: This post was manufactured in an environment where nuts are present. It may include traces of understatement, litotes and humour.

Edited by RobertoS (Sat 08-Feb-14 00:13:19)

(newbie) Sat 08-Feb-14 02:31:00
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

I can't be sure of the history of this site. I do know these flats were built around 8-9 years ago and there was a pretty old looking building here before (Judging from google earth pics) I think that what your saying about it being a cabinet that served people from long ago is probably the correct guess because I am having major difficulties finding anyone at all around here on the same cabinet.

I know that the speed I am getting for the cabinet is fine, almost perfectly in the middle of the trading standards judgement of 1-3.5mbps, but to compare my speed to just lets say the nearest 100 buildings, all 100 would be getting a minimum of 6mbps.. Thus I am at a loss as to why we are still connected to a cabinet not capable of better speeds.

I've asked 2 other residents and both report their speeds being similar, although they weren't to fussed about the current speed. I guess it bothers me so much because before we moved in december we were at 7.4mbps so I really notice the difference and its quite irritating for everything to take so much longer. The other day I was trying to buy something on ebay and kept having to wait 10-20 seconds every time i switched pages, tried on my partners pc and it was even slower...

Do any of you think that Openreach would even consider moving our line? I HIGHLY doubt they would ever consider upgrading our cabinet to handle better speeds... Or perhaps its an issue with the cable between the exchange and the cabinet... Either way I just wish they would switch us to P9 or P51 and be done with this whole headache.
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to