General Discussion
  >> Broadband Not-spots & slow-spots

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User rcochrane
(newbie) Thu 06-Mar-14 00:09:41
Print Post

BDUK Suffolk removing communities from superfast broadband

[link to this post]

I've been checking for the roll-out of the rural broadband initiative, called Better Broadband UK Suffolk with £45 Million worth of funding regularly. According to their slightly odd colour coding system, my village in Mid Suffolk should have received Superfast broadband during the summer of this year.

Tonight I logged on and discovered they've redrawn the map and now I'm in a non-spot where they have committed to "guarantee 2Mbps". We'll no longer be receiving superfast broadband at all. I already receive about 5.5Mbps. All of this without any formal notification and the publicity continues to be about councillors I don't care about stood next to BT vans.

Has anyone else suffered a similar fate? I would just have liked some transparency from the start.
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Thu 06-Mar-14 09:15:40
Print Post

Re: BDUK Suffolk removing communities from superfast broadba

[re: rcochrane] [link to this post]

Exactly why some councils are not giving any data as the roll-out is not set in stone from day 1, i.e. as they survey they change decisions on where they can get the most bang per buck.

It may change again in the future, I know not good news for you, but until the projects are funded to the point of 100% coverage this is going to keep happening

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User rcochrane
(newbie) Thu 06-Mar-14 09:21:58
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

Thanks Andrew, it's a shame they can't get their act together earlier and be more transparent. Moving the goalposts just gets peoples' backs up. I'll wait and see.... or move. Running an online business means I have little choice and yet again, rural Britain loses out. I saw in a recent survey of entrepreneurial centres of the UK, only Cambridge featured in East Anglia. Not even Norwich and certainly not Ipswich. I wish our local politicians would do more. Feel pretty let down as you can imagine!

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Thu 06-Mar-14 09:35:49
Print Post

I can imagine but there is a strong campaign for more and more data to be released, but that means invariably that people will see more changes as plans change.

The other option is to say nothing while planning and getting quotes from power people and then after a long silence say which areas will be covered.

Suspect the word University is what draws many to Cambridge along with the science park that has been many years in the making, plus the faster journey time to London by car or train. i.e. Ipswich and Norwich suffer from the decades of under investment in not just broadband, but rail and road network also.

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User Jax2
(newbie) Thu 06-Mar-14 09:49:56
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

You said it Mr Saffron. I too live in Suffolk and it along with Norfolk are a backwater with decades of underdevelopment and politicians do little more than make "correct" noises but nothing ever really happens as far as investment is concerned.
Standard User yarwell
(sensei) Thu 06-Mar-14 12:00:43
Print Post

there isn't even a decent road to Norwich

--

Phil

MaxDSL - goes as fast as it can and doesn't read the line checker first.

MaxDSL diagnostics
  Print Thread

Jump to