General Discussion
  >> Broadband Not-spots & slow-spots

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User LeftoutAgain
(newbie) Sun 06-Apr-14 19:25:57
Print Post

Superfast Cornwall con artists

[link to this post]

I have joined this forum to try to find out about what i can do having been left out of the Fibre roolout in Cornwall .
Cornwall CC set up a company called Superfast Cornwall about 3 years ago .I HAVE BEEN WAITING 3 YEARS FOR THE ANSWER TO MY QUESTION what speed im i going to get at my house . Fill the website box in and we will let you know when fibre is in your area and available to you .Well they didn't and it's not !!!!
Superfast Cornwall have had £ 132 mill to spend and as far as im concearned NOT spent it wisely .They seem to just have enhanced speed for those users who had a decent speed anyway and NOT done anything for me or the other 13000 people in a slow / not spot .
With 200,000 connections and a take up of about 15% it seems just a waste of money whan people who want and need faster speeds and will pay for it are left out .They spent £3.7 mill on the Scilly Isles 2200 connections .At 15% take up it seems a lot of cash each . It has got me wound up as in the press it says and the poor people of scilly onlyhad 8 meg download so we are now giving them 30 meg or whatever .
My point is the people who need faster and wider ARE NOT getting it they seem to be doing the easy ones and not extending the Fibre foot print to the below 1 meg and the have nots.Unless you are privalidged or live in Scilly .I am below 1 meg so get the choice of 3g ( wop wop ) OR expensive and a second rate service via sattelite .....NOT IMPRESSED OR HAPPY !!!!!

Anyone help with ideas or experiance of getting a fair crack of the cash ??
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Sun 06-Apr-14 19:33:22
Print Post

Re: Superfast Cornwall con artists

[re: LeftoutAgain] [link to this post]

Until they produce a plan and money to do 100% at super fast speeds there are going to be gaps in coverage

Without knowing exactly where you live its hard to say whether you have just been over looked or the equation of cost versus benefit means that your line/area would cost too much to be considered.

Scilly is a case of politics coming into play too i.e. to not do that area would send the wrong signals.

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
(newbie) Sun 06-Apr-14 19:37:53
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

MrSaffron , tell me is 8Meg download speed for a normal household good or bad as i have no idea? I DO know that 73Meg at the office i sometimes attend in London is megga .

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Sun 06-Apr-14 19:42:55
Print Post

8 Meg is below average but well above what you need for a couple of SD video streams and should manage 2 x HD streams or 1 x HD stream and several people doing basic web/twitter/email

8 Meg is a long way from a slow spot or not spot. Target is for 100% coverage at 2 Mbps in 2015 or 2017 depending on source of quote

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
(newbie) Sun 06-Apr-14 19:48:26
Print Post

I live between Bude and Launceston in Cornwall .We have i am sure not been left out we are as usual not worth spending money on .We have no mains drainage we have no street lighting we have no mains gas we have just about got a mobile phone signal we have just about got enough water pressure most of the time to run my mains system heating and hot water .WE DO FEEL VERY MUCH SECOND CLASS CITIZENS !
We do have lots of wind turbines we do have a loverly view of a solar park we do get no cheaper council tax for all the [censored] they are throwing at us ....is anyone listening at CC no .....This is the UK in the 21 centry Not some third world country !! come on
(newbie) Sun 06-Apr-14 19:50:09
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by MrSaffron:
8 Meg is below average but well above what you need for a couple of SD video streams and should manage 2 x HD streams or 1 x HD stream and several people doing basic web/twitter/email

8 Meg is a long way from a slow spot or not spot. Target is for 100% coverage at 2 Mbps in 2015 or 2017 depending on source of quote

Thank you sir so 8 Meg is very good then for mosty of us
Standard User brandscill
(member) Tue 08-Apr-14 09:03:53
Print Post

Why are you asking over 8mb? You said at the start you had less than 1mb.

If you're referring to isle of Scilly as previously having access to 8mb I imagine like your connection this was up to 8mb with very few households achieving this unless they lived next to the exchange.

If you post some details about the cabinet you're connected to and your exchange then people might be able to give some advice.
  Print Thread

Jump to