General Discussion
  >> Broadband Not-spots & slow-spots

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User AngS
(newbie) Mon 07-Apr-14 19:04:53
Print Post

How do I know if get the minimum 2mb speed

[link to this post]

Hello

Dont know a huge amount about broadband except that ours is woefull and leads to teenagers stropping alot!

If i do a speed test it says we are getting about 1.1mb download speed.

We are in a rural village but i dont believe our local bduk scheme is covering us as we are in an openreach commercial area, whatever that means.

The local exchange is enabled for fibre and the cabinet we are connected to but its quite a distance away hence the rubbish speed.

Reading on the internet ive done the bt dsl line checker .thing and get these figures

Featured Products

Downstream Line Rate(Mbps). Upstream Line Rate(Mbps) Downstream Range(Mbps) Avail Date

WBC ADSL. 2+ Up to 1 -- 1 to 3.5 Available
WBC ADSL 2+ Annex M Up to 1 Up to 0.5 1 to 3.5 Available
ADSL Max Up to 1 -- 0.75 to 2.5 Available
WBC Fixed Rate 0.5 -- -- Available
Fixed Rate 0.5 -- -- Available
Other Offerings

Fibre Multicast -- -- -- Available
Copper Multicast -- -- -- Available

So do i look at the thedownstream line rate of up to 1 as the speed we should expect or the downstream range of 1-3.5

As I want to raise the issue with my local bduk scheme (there are around 130 houses in my village with the same problem) i want to know whether the government target minimum speed of 2mb is in relation to the downstream rate or the downstream range. Hope this makes sense.

Thanks for any help you can be

Ang
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Mon 07-Apr-14 19:15:53
Print Post

Re: How do I know if get the minimum 2mb speed

[re: AngS] [link to this post]

The key issue is what connection speed, attenuation and noise margin are reported by the router.

http://www.coolwebhome.co.uk/stats/routers.html shows how to get these figures from a number of routers.

The inference if you have just 1.1 Mbps download speed is that the line is long and attenuation is 63dB or higher.

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User Jax2
(newbie) Mon 07-Apr-14 19:32:49
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

I am in a similar position in that when my exchange does eventually get fibre (end of 2014?) my cabinet is a too far away (about 4k) to get fibre to my hamlet. So, what do the Goverment mean by a minimum speed of 2mb?
If fibre is out and adsl or adsl 2+ cannot provide that target what will they do? I suspect shrug their shoulders and define the problem away and do nothing but what is the official position?

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User AngS
(newbie) Mon 07-Apr-14 19:53:31
Print Post

Line attenuation is 64 and noise margin is 5.3
Standard User XRaySpeX
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Mon 07-Apr-14 20:13:36
Print Post

What is the router's reported connection speed?

Trouble is that 64 dB Attn. is the top of the reporting range of most routers. If your Attn. is really 64dB then you'd just about get 2 Meg Sync Speed (which is the target the Govt. is referring to). However your Attn. could be much higher and therefore the Sync Speed much lower.

You'll never get much higher than 2 Meg unless a fibre cab is brought much nearer you. There is nowt that BDUK can do for your neighbourhood.

1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC
Standard User AngS
(newbie) Mon 07-Apr-14 20:26:24
Print Post

[re: XRaySpeX] [link to this post]

Thank you.

The router says the speed is 1.54mb

We are about 1.3 miles from cabinet and on overhead lines that I have followed on a walk which do seem to go pretty much across the fields to the cabinet.
Standard User XRaySpeX
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Mon 07-Apr-14 21:32:08
Print Post

In reply to a post by AngS:
We are about 1.3 miles from cabinet
Your line to exchange is at least 2.9 miles long according to your attn, which is what counts for ADSL Cab distance only comes into play with FTTC and your distance is off the table in http://www.thinkbroadband.com/guide/fibre-broadband....

1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Mon 07-Apr-14 21:59:55
Print Post

[re: Jax2] [link to this post]

Its a good question and will depend on how much money they have left in the pot to deal with the solution.

Some areas it may be

a) Stick with ADSL like
or
b) Take a voucher for a satellite system (the EU did this last year declaring the whole EU has access to basic broadband, because you can all access satellite)
or
c) 4G using small external antenna but with a price per GB that means you get faster speeds, but cannot do too much streaming that month without hurting the wallet e.g. 50GB or 100GB for £25 per month.
or
d) ADSL repeaters i.e. half the line length and retransmit ADSL (has been technically possible for some years but price per home means commercial BT has not wanted to do it)
or
e) VDSL mini cab that is closer than the existing cabinet
or
f) A fixed wireless system using WiMAX, so not unlike 4G option but maybe slightly better usage allowances.

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User Jax2
(newbie) Mon 07-Apr-14 23:31:51
Print Post

In reply to a post by MrSaffron:
Its a good question and will depend on how much money they have left in the pot to deal with the solution.

Some areas it may be

a) Stick with ADSL like
or
b) Take a voucher for a satellite system (the EU did this last year declaring the whole EU has access to basic broadband, because you can all access satellite)
or
c) 4G using small external antenna but with a price per GB that means you get faster speeds, but cannot do too much streaming that month without hurting the wallet e.g. 50GB or 100GB for £25 per month.
or
d) ADSL repeaters i.e. half the line length and retransmit ADSL (has been technically possible for some years but price per home means commercial BT has not wanted to do it)
or
e) VDSL mini cab that is closer than the existing cabinet
or
f) A fixed wireless system using WiMAX, so not unlike 4G option but maybe slightly better usage allowances.

Thanks, interesting.
a) frown
b) Listed building, satallite dishes not allowed.
c) No 4g or 3g or sometimes even 2g here.
d) Getting better.
e) Sounds the best option if reasonably close.
f) Lots of trees around here so does not sound feasable.

Just have to hope for VDSL minicab plus funds available to install. Hard to know where all the houses are connected to as they are spread out but I would guess about 60-80 are connected to my sub-cabinet about 1.2k away from my house.
Standard User XRaySpeX
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Tue 08-Apr-14 00:02:37
Print Post

[re: Jax2] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Jax2:
Hard to know where all the houses are connected to as they are spread out but I would guess about 60-80 are connected to my sub-cabinet about 1.2k away from my house.
You could feed their addys in here: BT BROADBAND AVAILABILITY Address CHECKER and see if they all name the same cab at the top,

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to