General Discussion
  >> Broadband Not-spots & slow-spots

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User Moshiecat
(newbie) Sat 19-Apr-14 10:10:15
Print Post

thinking of buying house but shocking internet speed!

[link to this post]

Hey there,

Ive been looking for a new house for a long time now and have finally found one that I love. Unfortunately we have discovered that we can only get 1mb internet. We saw a router when we viewed the place so just assumed it was fine. I have looked at satellite broadband but its not really suitable as we like to game online.

I checked the postcode checker and I think that the exchange may have fibre but its not been extended to the house. This is what comes up on the postcode checker but I don't understand it:

BT BROADBAND AVAILABILITY CHECKER BT36 4RG on Exchange GLENGORMLEY is served by Cabinet 39

Featured Products

Downstream Line Rate(Mbps)

Upstream Line Rate(Mbps)

Downstream Range(Mbps)

Availability Date

WBC ADSL 2+Up to 1--1 to 3.5AvailableADSL MaxUp to 1--0.75 to 2.5AvailableWBC Fixed Rate0.5----AvailableFixed Rate0.5----AvailableOther OfferingsFibre Multicast------Available

For all ADSL and WBC Fibre to the Cabinet (FTTC) services, the stable line rate will be determined during the first 10 days of service usage.

Throughput/download speeds will be less than line rates and can be affected by a number of factors within and external to BT's network, Communication Providers' networks and within customer premises.

The Stop Sale date for Datastream is from 30-Jun-2012; the Formal Retirement date for Datastream is from 30-Jun-2014. The Stop Sale date for IPstream is from 31-Dec-2012; the Formal Retirement date for IPstream is from 30-Jun-2014.

Note: Please note that postcode and address check results are indicative only. Most accurate results can be obtained from a telephone number check.

Any idea what this means or are there any other ways to get fast broadband as I really like the house but good internet is essential

Thanks!
Standard User gah789
(learned) Sun 20-Apr-14 17:22:27
Print Post

Re: thinking of buying house but shocking internet speed!

[re: Moshiecat] [link to this post]

You can check with the Northern Ireland BDUK program to check when or whether Cabinet 39 is going to be upgraded to FTTC. However, it is likely that the house is too far from the cabinet to see much of an improvement if FTTC were installed. If you can locate Cabinet 39 then you could estimate the distance from the cabinet to the house and then use the distance-speed relationship for VDSL to check what speed you might get.
Standard User XRaySpeX
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sun 20-Apr-14 17:36:39
Print Post

Use the Address Checker, not Postcode one; it is more accurate and tells you what a specific property can get. Not all in same postcode could get Fibre so it won't say.

1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User RobManser
(newbie) Mon 18-Aug-14 13:42:28
Print Post

[re: XRaySpeX] [link to this post]

Be careful - the postcode, address and even phone number checkers are not reliable.

BT assured us we would have 0.75Mb minimum ADSL at our new house based on the postcode and full address. Once we moved in and got our landline, we applied for Broadband and entered into a frustrating two weeks on and off the phone with technical help. Eventually, we had an engineer round who explained that we were 9km from the exchange so we can't get ADSL at all. He said it's not uncommon for the ISP's checking systems to be wrong.
Standard User XRaySpeX
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Mon 18-Aug-14 16:55:08
Print Post

[re: RobManser] [link to this post]

The phone number & address checkers are usually accurate about Availability of products; the postcode on isn't as it covers a whole postcode.

AS to speed estimates they are all usually pessimistic

1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC
Standard User mlmclaren
(committed) Mon 18-Aug-14 17:32:25
Print Post

Re: thinking of buying house but shocking internet speed! *DELETED*

Post deleted by MrSaffron

Edited by mlmclaren (Mon 18-Aug-14 17:52:35)

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Fri 22-Aug-14 23:22:18
Print Post

Re: thinking of buying house but shocking internet speed! *D

[re: mlmclaren] [link to this post]

Post removed due to language issues

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User mlmclaren
(committed) Sat 23-Aug-14 00:27:27
Print Post

I'm sure you probably read my post before it got deleted due to a mis-understanding.

After I did checks the other day you should be able to obtain a fibre based connection at your new home but for a accurate answer, use the checker and enter your full address not just the postcode.

I did a check on a property in the postcode area provided and they where able to get a fibre product.

@networkmclaren - Coming Soon CheckaTwit - The Complaints Network

VirginMedia - (Updating Links, Back Soon)
Standard User ukhardy07
(knowledge is power) Sat 23-Aug-14 02:07:48
Print Post

Looking at the area, you are actually 4.94km from the telephone exchange and this is STRAIGHT LINE distance. That is a huge distance and far far higher than most households. As a reference most that I check are usually under 2km. The actual line length is likely to be a lot lot longer as it will not go in a straight line, often going around parks, airports, fields, roads etc and not taking the fastest route. It could easily be double this distance.

You often find that the lines were put down in whatever way was the easiest as back in the day there was no need to have short line (voice worked with long cabling). So often cabling goes further away from the exchange & then loops back on itself.

At this distance it would not surprise me if you couldn't get broadband at all. I would ensure with the current tenants that they have a working and reliable connection. It could very well be that at this distance it's very intermittent. If theirs is fine then you know it'll at least work albeit slow.

It would also not shock me if the speeds were lower than 1Mbps. Perhaps as slow as 512kbps. It would be worth doing a speedtest on the peoples connection who live there already.

Looking at the post code some properties do have fibre services. If you provided the exact house number I could investigate far better.

At these lengths you very often find BT quote a working speed, an engineer comes out and says the cabling is actually too long. No broadband... So definitely check the current tenants connection works.

Edited by ukhardy07 (Sat 23-Aug-14 02:11:31)

Standard User Michael_Chare
(experienced) Tue 26-Aug-14 00:38:41
Print Post

[re: XRaySpeX] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by XRaySpeX:
The phone number & address checkers are usually accurate about Availability of products; the postcode on isn't as it covers a whole postcode.

AS to speed estimates they are all usually pessimistic

What rights do you have to cancel broadband and associated phone line FOC, if the speed is less than the estimate?

Michael Chare
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to