General Discussion
  >> Broadband Not-spots & slow-spots

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User LA7
(learned) Fri 25-Apr-14 00:55:08
Print Post

EE HOME 4GEE fixed 4g broadband ideal for slow / non spots

[link to this post]

EE have a new product called HOME 4GEE which is available on contact or pay as you go the product is aimed at people with slow or no broadband on pay as you go it costs £99 and includes a huawei b593 home router (cat 4) which has ethernet ports etc and 10gig of data included , Then top ups are £10 for 4gb £15 of 10gb or £25 for 20gb,

The only thing is I do not know where to buy it I only know it was officially lunched on 26th of march 2014

Here is some info i have found

HOME 4GEE: http://ee.co.uk/help/add-ons-benefits-and-plans/pric...

.pdf payg home 4gee price plan : http://ee.co.uk/content/dam/ee-help/e-gain.s3.amazon...

HOME 4GEE getting started http://ee.co.uk/help/mobile-and-home-connections/bro...

Edited by LA7 (Fri 25-Apr-14 01:00:52)

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Fri 25-Apr-14 09:46:30
Print Post

Re: EE HOME 4GEE fixed 4g broadband ideal for slow / non spo

[re: LA7] [link to this post]

Only available in Newcastle Manchester Hull
Cumbria and
Northern Fells I believe

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User fiddler
(member) Sun 11-May-14 10:45:53
Print Post

I live in a 3G area and have a EE sim only unlimited internet contract for my iPhone for roughly £20pcm.

On occasion, I've tethered this, allowing for speeds of 2-3meg (comparable to my home ADSL) .

I suspect EE might get upset if you go crazy with your downloads but when my phone line was down last year I used about 30Gb over a month without any alarm bells going off.

Regards,

Rob

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User B31
(newbie) Tue 24-Jun-14 20:10:46
Print Post

[re: fiddler] [link to this post]

I'm getting around 12 Mbps on an EE 4G mifi, on the edge of Birmingham, compared to 1.6 Mbps on BT.

Seems like a good idea, hopefully they'll roll out this product to other areas soon.
Standard User LA7
(learned) Sun 26-Oct-14 19:50:49
Print Post

Just to update this thread been using the Huawei b593 which is a cat 4 modem router for a few months now and it has been working fine 60mb down 30mb upload,

If you have slow bb and can get a 4g signal i recommend it also it is a good back up
Standard User WWWombat
(knowledge is power) Wed 03-Dec-14 21:22:43
Print Post

I'm currently waiting for BT to provision a line after a house move, so we're currently using EE as our backup.

I've found it just about tenable at best, but certainly not fully reliable. The cell can disappear - leaving the modem stuck on 3G (it doesn't recover back automatically); access to the internet can disappear even when we have a decent signal to the cell; and congestion can hit at any time - especially after 3PM.

At best, we get speeds of around 30 down, 3 up. But during the day, it is nearer 15/1.5. When getting congested, the downstream speeds can come back as over 10Mbps, but the upstream speeds can be less than 0.01Mbps - and performance then is dire.

We have the modem connected via an external antenna for this, but have found that it reports 5 bars of signal even when it is comparatively weak. Eventually I found some firmware to flash the router with, that allowed us to monitor the modem - it gave much more detailed signal strengths.

It turns out that the modem reports 5 bars from somewhere around 55% strength, which is what we were getting with our original site for the antenna; we now get around 83-90% after moving it (the bathroom window is the best location).

So - 90% signal, at around 1km from the mast. But it still only qualifies as just about usable. That's with a Huawei e5372 cat 4 LTE modem.

Three have recently started 4G here; the signal is a little worse, and the downstream is lower - but comparatively, the upstream is better.

I can't wait to get back to the reliability of an FTTC connection...
Standard User Pauli1
(newbie) Thu 22-Jan-15 13:08:23
Print Post

[re: WWWombat] [link to this post]

I am having documented problems with my fibre elsewhere, so had been looking at this as an option.

Where I am, EE's checker is reporting full coverage on 4G with their double speed 4G service available.
So I looked at home 4GEE but the top package is I think 50gig limited. Probably alright for the casual user, but I average 160gig a month download which rules it out.

Noce idea though for those who may be stuck in a total notspot.
Standard User slowbroadband2
(newbie) Thu 21-May-15 17:51:05
Print Post

[re: Pauli1] [link to this post]

I just got EE's 4G Home Router last month and it's working really well for me. I've only used 18GB in my first month, so I've found the 20GB plan to be more than enough.

Anyone struggling to get a line installed or getting bad broadband speeds, you should definitely look into it.

EE don't really advertise it but I found this page online that might be helpful to some of you

http://ee.co.uk/ee-and-me/family-home/home-broadband...
Standard User B31
(regular) Sun 07-Jun-15 20:46:35
Print Post

[re: slowbroadband2] [link to this post]

Is this available in more areas now?

BT ADSL customer getting 1.9 Mbps on a new road / new build development
CAB not FTTC enabled, not part of the 66% commercial plan. Not rural - no BDUK funding
(Virgin Media nearby)
Standard User Pgre
(experienced) Mon 08-Jun-15 16:49:46
Print Post

[re: B31] [link to this post]

Check the EE Coverage Map to see the areas where you should be able to get a 4GEE signal. Its all over the place now.
I tested near brands hatch today and got 76Mbps down and 42Mbps up.

Regards PGre
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to