General Discussion
  >> Broadband Not-spots & slow-spots

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User cadmunkey
(newbie) Tue 05-Aug-14 10:55:35
Print Post

We are 'economically unviable'

[link to this post]

Brief(!) backstory;
I live in West Yorkshire and back in 2011 I used to have fibre but needed to move house so when we did move it was to a relatively new development with just an old BT cab. It didnít yet have fibre so I was reluctant to move there but when I contacted BT they reassured me that it was due to be installed in March 2013. Of course that date came and went and I contacted them again in May 2013 to be told that they had to delay the install but was now scheduled for September 2013. Again in October I spoke to them and was told they had decided we would no longer be getting fibre and the decision was final.
Disappointed I started chasing some of the bigwigs at BT & BT Openreach and was told that they reckoned there wasnít the demand for it in our area. I asked that if I could prove there was a demand would they change their minds and thankfully they agreed to that. So over the next 2 months I visited every household in my area and explained the issue with regards to BT Openreach and managed to get over 90% of the houses on the estate to sign the petition over on SuperfastWestYorkshire. (This kept track of genuine interested signups if fibre was to become available).
BT were impressed with my efforts and they promised to re-look at their figures again to decide if it was now a viable project for them. They came back to me 2 weeks later and said that they would do the install but we had to privately fund part of it to the tune of £25,000. Obviously I was happy to contribute towards this but most residents were angry that BT would expect customers to pay for the install so I just couldnít get enough of the money together to fund it. (Managed to get around £5k pledged).
Anyway, some months later I am still in the same boat. I keep reading about grant money being available to some of the bigger cities up North, but wondered if anyone on here has been in a similar situation to us and managed to find any grants or pots of internet funds we could tap into to make this happen. I run my business from home and there are around 35 others here that do to. If I was living in Bradford or Leeds I would have access to the new £3k per house grant funds available for small businesses and we would easily be able to raise the £25k through that, but at the moment Huddersfield does not qualify. Iím running out of ideas so if anyone else has any suggestions or similar stories it would be much appreciated.
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Tue 05-Aug-14 11:03:09
Print Post

Re: We are 'economically unviable'

[re: cadmunkey] [link to this post]

Do you fall into one of the County led BDUK projects?

Or tell us which exchange and people can see what activity there has been from project(s) in the area.

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User cadmunkey
(newbie) Tue 05-Aug-14 11:10:03
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

Hi,
It seems Huddersfield is just being left out of BDUKs plans, which is extremely strange seeing as we have a ton of rural areas here that would obviously help them achieve their 97% coverage target by 2015!
We are on BT cabinet, HUD164 connected to the Huddersfield exchange in the town centre. We are at the end of a very long line but Openreaches test figures showed that we would achieve a speed of around 56-70mb after the install.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User ccxo
(fountain of knowledge) Tue 05-Aug-14 21:07:09
Print Post

Kirklees council choose not to be part of the West Yorkshire BDUK project, so the only rollout was Openreach commercial deployment.

Orange BB 5856/448
Standard User gcc
(newbie) Tue 05-Aug-14 22:48:58
Print Post

Do contact B4RN (http://b4rn.org.uk/), they are set up specifically to provision areas that BT and everyone else considers "economically unviable". Most likely you will get connectivity for very cheap or free, if you can put in the parts and labour to lay the cables. I imagine your £5k pledged would cover that.
Standard User cadmunkey
(newbie) Tue 05-Aug-14 23:06:44
Print Post

[re: gcc] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by gcc:
Do contact B4RN (http://b4rn.org.uk/), they are set up specifically to provision areas that BT and everyone else considers "economically unviable". Most likely you will get connectivity for very cheap or free, if you can put in the parts and labour to lay the cables. I imagine your £5k pledged would cover that.

Thanks for that, I will give them a shout. Anything we can do at this stage is worth a punt. I've had numerous discussions with Kirklees with regards why they didn't sign up to the BDUK scheme. It seems that the people responsible for making these decisions are in their 70s and don't actually use the internet.
Standard User Fastman2
(member) Fri 08-Aug-14 14:15:22
Print Post

Just as an aside average cost enabing a a cab is circa 25 - 50k there are inexcess of 200 + premises that cab - that gap is based on the amount of premises that are covered s- assuming you canvassed tre whole estate that average view of contribution is one month broadband rental

Edited by Fastman2 (Fri 08-Aug-14 14:15:55)

Print Thread

Jump to