General Discussion
  >> Broadband Not-spots & slow-spots

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User schelc
(regular) Thu 28-Aug-14 21:25:18
Print Post

So close but yet so far

[link to this post]

I'm one of the lucky ones, my cabinet was enabled through BDUK at the start of this week. I'm about 1300M away but getting 22mb down, 4.5mb up. All the tips on the forums have been great and I placed my order the minute it went live on the wholesale checker site. The BT site stills says coming soon smile

Unfortunately my friend who lives on the outskirts of Perth is not so lucky. He currently has ADSL and is getting 2mb. He is approx. 2.8KM from his cabinet which offers both FTTC and FTTPoD. He is one of a small cluster of about 10 properties all getting 2mb or less.

My friend has contacted both Openreach and the local council broadband contact, but there is nothing that will be done as he is within an area covered by 'commercial rollout'.

My question is 'how viable would it be to put in place FTTP and then share the install and rental cost between those people interested?'
Do you think there would be any local funding/grants which may help towards the upfront costs?
Has anyone setup something similar?

Any advice would be appreciated.

Colin
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Thu 28-Aug-14 22:00:14
Print Post

Re: So close but yet so far

[re: schelc] [link to this post]

If its a city in the superconnected scheme then grants available.

Otherwise come up the money yourself or wait until council works towards 95% goal after the 90% and then after 2017 even further

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User schelc
(regular) Fri 29-Aug-14 14:28:44
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

It is a superconnected city, however granst only seem to be available to SME and when I check eligibility using the postcode it says that this area is not eligible.

On the self funding part, we are talking about install costs of £8K or higher, so was looking for any advice from someone that had setup something similar e.g. funding model, setting up a not for profit org, contacts, etc.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User brandscill
(committed) Fri 29-Aug-14 14:44:35
Print Post

If the cabinet offers FTTPoD can he not pick that option? What's the cost?

BT ADSL 4.7Mbps (Actual)
Standard User schelc
(regular) Sat 30-Aug-14 13:48:17
Print Post

[re: brandscill] [link to this post]

When I looked at the Openreach price list the costs for up to 2km were £6,125 (exVAT). So at 2.8km from the cabinet the install costs are going to be very high.

Hence my questions around options for a community lead project, where they could get funding or even a loan for the install costs and then setup a not for profit org to recoup the costs between the, say 10, properties.
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Sat 30-Aug-14 14:24:28
Print Post

Sharing a single FTTPoD between 10 properties may be against the T&C, it is intended as a connection for a single property rather than a leased line type service.

The pricing is such that the first property is only paying a share of the install cost, the hope is that eventually others will sign up too.

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User schelc
(regular) Sat 30-Aug-14 16:13:40
Print Post

So even if you had a business grade ISP with multiple static IP's you suspect this wouldn't be allowed?

Given recent price hike in the FTTPoD, I not convinced the install costs are a share. £10K for running 2.8km of fibre mainly on poles would cover the bulk of the costs.

Back to the drawing board then frown
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Sat 30-Aug-14 17:35:21
Print Post

Very possibly, best to discuss plans with an ISP that sells the service to get the low down on what they do/don't allow.

Standard User Fastman2
(member) Fri 05-Sep-14 22:53:14
Print Post

there may be another way see Openreasch FAQ's rural Broadband / Not on a plan
  Print Thread

Jump to