General Discussion
  >> Broadband Not-spots & slow-spots

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User CoetirGwyn
(newbie) Mon 13-Oct-14 14:26:10
Print Post

Further expansion of Superfast Cymru

[link to this post]

Hey folks,

We live in rural Caerphilly approximately 3.5-4 miles from our FTTC-enabled cabinet (not exchange, sorry) and, at best, get download speeds of 50kb/s. After a little research I assume that our abysmal internet is due to that distance from the cabinet. Complicating the matter is our relative isolation; we're one of two houses approximately 500m from the village proper.

My question is, what are the odds that the next planned phase of Superfast Cymru (Dec '14 for our cabinet apparently) will have any measurable effect upon our internet speed? I've no idea what the next stage of SC might be...

I am looking at alternatives such as satellite or WISP - AB Internet perhaps.

Thanks for any input you might be able to provide!

Edited by CoetirGwyn (Mon 13-Oct-14 15:15:41)

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Mon 13-Oct-14 14:56:11
Print Post

Re: Further expansion of Superfast Cymru

[re: CoetirGwyn] [link to this post]

With FTTC it is not the exchange that matters but where your cabinet is located and it is possible for the exchange to be enabled and NOT your cabinet.

What cabinet does https://www.btwholesale.com/includes/adsl/main.html say you are connected and which exchange. Given that an idea of the distance to the cabinet can be determined.

Also even if FTTC is available from your cabinet you need to order a fibre based service to gain anything, so if you have not upgraded from your old ADSL (exchange based) service this would explain the same old slow speeds.

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User CoetirGwyn
(newbie) Mon 13-Oct-14 15:35:19
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

Thanks for taking the time to reply MrSaffron.

Forgive me, I got my words muddled up earlier - I meant cabinet and not exchange (edited the OP to reflect this).

So yes, our cabinet is indeed FTTC enabled although the Sam Knows checker says "available in some areas". Apparently BT Infinity is available to us although I imagine the distance from the cabinet (5,500m+) will still present an issue as described on your website.

Edited by CoetirGwyn (Mon 13-Oct-14 15:35:50)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Mon 13-Oct-14 15:50:56
Print Post

If you are 5.5km from your actual cabinet then FTTC will do NOTHING for you.

Also likely as the cabinet is done that the Superfast Cymru project will do nothing more for your couple of properties until they get a lot closer to the 100% at superfast speeds - which is some years away.

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User CoetirGwyn
(newbie) Mon 13-Oct-14 15:59:00
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

Thanks for confirming what I suspected MrSaffron. I'll continue to pursue alternative solutions (WISP, satellite and Access Broadband Cymru).
Standard User godsell4
(learned) Tue 14-Oct-14 07:50:08
Print Post

Try and get some local support from other people with this problem on the same exchange or cabinet and take this to the Local and Parish councils to see what influence they have on the future Superfast Cymru future plans.

PlusNet BBYW1
Standard User CoetirGwyn
(newbie) Mon 20-Oct-14 13:30:20
Print Post

[re: godsell4] [link to this post]

Hi GodSell, thanks for the suggestion. This is something I've been thinking about doing! It may be that there's enough demand for a WISP to come in and install equipment.

Edited by CoetirGwyn (Mon 20-Oct-14 13:30:33)

Standard User mabibby
(regular) Mon 20-Oct-14 14:19:21
Print Post

From the conversations I've had with a friend who is planning for the Superfast Cymru project, the mandate from the WAG is for BT to provide a minimum level of service (30Mb from memory) and he's been planning for some really remote areas over the last few months which are not too different from what you described.

It may be worth you getting your local Parish/Council to engage Superfast Cymru and actually find out where you are on their plans before looking to commit to any 3rd party arrangement.

BT Infinity 2 - 50/9 @ 600m
Standard User LA7
(learned) Sun 26-Oct-14 19:43:07
Print Post

[re: mabibby] [link to this post]

I thought they only had to provide 2mb via fiber or wireless or 3g/4g and satellite e.g tooway ses or avanti,

In reply to a post by mabibby:
From the conversations I've had with a friend who is planning for the Superfast Cymru project, the mandate from the WAG is for BT to provide a minimum level of service (30Mb from memory) and he's been planning for some really remote areas over the last few months which are not too different from what you described.

It may be worth you getting your local Parish/Council to engage Superfast Cymru and actually find out where you are on their plans before looking to commit to any 3rd party arrangement.
  Print Thread

Jump to