General Discussion
  >> Broadband Not-spots & slow-spots

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User steventaylor50
(newbie) Mon 03-Nov-14 15:04:57
Print Post

Fibre cabinet full (for over 1 year)

[link to this post]

Hi there,

Although Fibre is available in my area, according to the BT ADSL checker, FTTC is unavailable as my cabinet is full to capacity. Problem is, it's been saying this for well over one year, and each month the availability date just advances to the next month.

What I don't understand is obviously there will be fibre customers who will cancel due to moving out of the area, or other reasons. So clearly this would free up capacity. But how does BT Openreach then allocate the spare capacity? There does not appear to be any sort of waiting list I can join. I have registered my details with BT, and I have never heard anything since. I'm guessing I will only hear from them if a new additional fibre cabinet is installed. So when someone does cancel, who do they allocate the now available slot to? Very interested to hear from experts out there!

I must add my current speed is 0.85 MBs in the new city of Milton Keynes! There are already two fibre cabinets (the big green ones) nearby to my cabinet. But the second one is on the opposite side of the road. I'm guessing both of these are connected to my cabinet unless anybody can advice different.

Regards

Steve
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Mon 03-Nov-14 15:15:00
Print Post

Re: Fibre cabinet full (for over 1 year)

[re: steventaylor50] [link to this post]

First need to absolutely confirm they are both Openreach fibre cabinets, people in the past have mis-identified mobile phone kit cabs so post links to pictures of both.

Once that is confirmed, emailing us with your details will let me chase up and check to ensure this is not a checker error and/or when more capacity will arrive.

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User Ribble
(fountain of knowledge) Mon 03-Nov-14 16:49:10
Print Post

I don't believe open reach have any waiting list for ports, it would be down the ISP or yourself ( you) to keep checking for availability.
Which exchange/ cabinet?

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

(newbie) Tue 04-Nov-14 09:40:11
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

Hi MrSaffron,

I've taken some pictures this morning, and here's the link:

https://flic.kr/s/aHsk5hUQDf

I've taken pictures of what I believe to be the two fibre cabinets, which are very close to each other, but on the opposite sides of the road. Also a picture of my BT cabinet.

Please let me know the details you require that I can email you.

Many thanks,

Steve
(newbie) Tue 04-Nov-14 09:47:17
Print Post

[re: Ribble] [link to this post]

Hi Ribble,

I'm on the Stony Stratford exchange served by cabinet 1.

Regards

Steve
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Tue 04-Nov-14 15:40:56
Print Post

There is two fibre cabinets and two phone cabinets. Is the round plastic one and old version of cabinet 1 or a different cabinet ?

On a slow link so cannot do my usual streetview checks for a while

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
(newbie) Tue 04-Nov-14 15:52:16
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

The round plastic cabinet was for the now defunct analogue cable TV/FM system.

I appreciate you checking things out for me. I have uploaded a screen shot from the BT Broadband Availability Checker here: https://flic.kr/p/pU9o93

Regards

Steve
Standard User Ribble
(fountain of knowledge) Wed 05-Nov-14 18:10:24
Print Post

I susspect there maybe some works later this month to clear a duct blockage to allow additional tie pairs to be provided
(newbie) Sun 09-Nov-14 17:41:12
Print Post

[re: Ribble] [link to this post]

I appreciate your knowledge, and will keep an eye out. Do you work for BT out of curiosity?!

Steve
  Print Thread

Jump to