General Discussion
  >> Broadband Not-spots & slow-spots

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User Frank33
(newbie) Tue 02-Dec-14 12:27:55
Print Post

Minimum required speed on telephone lines?

[link to this post]

I have my internet connection over the old (copper) telephone wires. Over the years the speed went up slowly to reach 2.7mbps. Not fast but accepable. Now a BT technician has been around to add a line for the neighbour. Since that time my speed has dropped to 1.9mbps. When i asked the provider (Plus.net), they are only prepared to have the line reset (Now that has been done twice, BT refuses to another reset).
Do i have to accept this situation or can i insist in miminum speeds?
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Tue 02-Dec-14 12:33:31
Print Post

Re: Minimum required speed on telephone lines?

[re: Frank33] [link to this post]

The legal obligation is 28 Kilo bits per second over a copper telephone line and that is the only current legal obligation.

So you can try and insist but provider is within rights to say no - and just give you option to leave.

The key to your story would be what are the actual connection speeds, attenuation and noise margin figures from the line, both now and with luck what you used to get.

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User MCM
(fountain of knowledge) Tue 02-Dec-14 12:35:58
Print Post

Do i have to accept this situation or can i insist in miminum speeds?
There is currently no legal requirement for BT to provide any minimum speed on ADSL or even offer broadband at all. The only requirement is that a line can support a connection at 28.8Kbps on dial-up. There are however proposals that there should at some time in the future be a USC of 2Mbps

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Tue 02-Dec-14 12:51:58
Print Post

[re: MCM] [link to this post]

It should be pointed out that a USC will be less stringent that a USO.

The USC can be met across the UK now, but involves a provider saying sorry we cannot meet it, have you tried ordering a satellite broadband service.

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User TheEulerID
(regular) Tue 02-Dec-14 12:56:06
Print Post

Presumably increased cross-talk. What are your line stats? Attenuation, noise margin, line sync rate etc.? The attenuation gives a good idea of what you ought to be able to get. Also, has your internal wiring been optimised for DSL? Long lines are especially susceptible to noise at the destination, and things like filter plates on the master socket or disconnecting ring lines are very important.

As far as the legal situation is concerned, then there's nothing much that can be done. If the you were originally given an estimate and fell short, then there's an Ofcom code of practice which allows contracts to be terminated prematurely, but that's not much help here.
Standard User ggremlin
(committed) Tue 02-Dec-14 17:53:09
Print Post

what speed does the neighbour get?
Standard User Frank33
(newbie) Wed 03-Dec-14 17:05:38
Print Post

[re: ggremlin] [link to this post]

Thanks everyone for the clear answers. It is a real eye opener that companies pretending to be active in the telecom industry actually dont have to supply products that are fit for modern telecommunications.
I also phoned BT if/when my street cabinet gets upgraded. May as well not have wasted my time. Considering that i am 1 mile away from Gatwick airport, and surroinded by industrial units, it amazes me that the BT stance is accepted. How can businesses plan for the future if we cant be advised when the required communication facilities become available.

Regretfully, there are no other services available here except for 3G or 4G (At least credit to BT for providing lines!). Need to find a 4G service that has more than 50GB download allowance each month.

The neighbours are all below 2mbps. Margin is only 6dB, but my connection was stable at 2.6 or 2.7mbps for a long time (Had to phone plus.net from time to time to request a reset. A low speed meant we had poor weather!).
Standard User MCM
(fountain of knowledge) Wed 03-Dec-14 17:43:31
Print Post

It is a real eye opener that companies pretending to be active in the telecom industry actually dont have to supply products that are fit for modern telecommunications.
Really? Why should BT, a private company owned by its shareholders, be any different than any other company? Their shareholders require BT to make a profit. BT will upgrade services where it is commercially viable, one can only assume that this is not the case in the area served by your PCP. Perhaps you should also complain/ask why Virgin Media haven't cabled your road, VM also being a privately owned communications company.

Hopefully there's a BDUK programme covering your area and that in due course they will get your connection upgraded.
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Wed 03-Dec-14 19:24:37
Print Post

[re: MCM] [link to this post]

The proposals to expand Gatwick may not be helping, since the industrial area to the south might be cleared to much way for a runway, i.e. classic why invest when an areas future is uncertain and could mean the Gatwick exchange needs to moved.

Am sure that leased line and Ethernet services will be available but they carry the price premium that custom installation work always carries and higher monthly costs as you usually are buying a less congested service.

The Virgin Media cable network makes it almost to the area, but as its low density industrial units the classic problem of needing to spend more to reach each individual business comes into play for ALL the providers.

Standard User Frank33
(newbie) Sat 06-Dec-14 17:46:36
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

What you say is true, but BT (Or any other company) has ever contacted us to try to get a fast connection going. Being lots of small companies around here, one can assume it to be very easy to get a lump sum out of most companies to get it started.
On not 1 occasion has that happened. Contacting any telecom company about this matter ends up to be a total waste of time.
THe above does not happen in other EU countries (At least some friends have fast connections that required "user intervention"). Somehow companies, and their shareholders, miss out on poitential profits by not getting their act together (Unlike other European companies). Wonder if this is related to UK companies being restricted in a way not done elsewhere in the EU?
Friends in other EU countries have been subjected t:
A) a local referendum or...
B) been given the option to pay X to get a fast connection (If Y potential users commit to pay X a fast connection will be provided).

The irony is that fibre-optics have been pulled around in the area (Even to my street cabinet), THis was easily noticed several years ago because our telephones got disconnected for a fortnight due to machines pulling the old phone cables.

If in 2019 Gatwick were to get the extra runway than the (BT) shareholders have missed out on at least 10 years potential profit making.
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to