General Discussion
  >> Broadband Not-spots & slow-spots

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User joaoasilva
(newbie) Wed 10-Dec-14 09:39:25
Print Post

When fibre is on the other side of the road...?

[link to this post]

Hi all,

I will move to RM12 5DE around March and I've noticed that Open Reach doesn't have any information about that postal code. It's a new development that already have houses built for about 1 year. I've also noticed that the other side of the road have the postal code of RM12 5JJ and have fiber optic available, is there a possibility to make it available 10 yards from RM12 5JJ, some way to request it?
I've already contacted Open Reach and they just replied with some generic rubbish template email that wasn't even near to what I've asked.

Thanks.

Best regards,
Joao Silva
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Wed 10-Dec-14 10:17:48
Print Post

Re: When fibre is on the other side of the road...?

[re: joaoasilva] [link to this post]

When was the post code assigned to the properties by the Post Office?

Takes time for new property postcodes to trickle through the system, if a developer is liaising with Openreach this can happen quicker, otherwise it relies on Openreach spotting that new properties exist.

Does the BT Wholesale checker at http://www.thinkbroadband.com/btavailability.html recognise your FULL address not just the postcode, if yes, does it show the same cabinet number as properties across the road?

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User Fastman2
(member) Wed 10-Dec-14 10:24:55
Print Post

can you check to see if there is a new green box at entrance to developement -- if there is a new green box it is likley the devloper has made no provision for Fibre as part of his discussion with a network operater and has only requested Voices services then this will not have been included as part of any commercial deployment (which is now proactically complete) and not is there any BDUK monies in London -- please can you confirm the development and developer name

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User joaoasilva
(newbie) Wed 10-Dec-14 10:32:01
Print Post

[re: Fastman2] [link to this post]

Thanks all for the quick reply.

From BT and the other providers, the post code is recognized as the full address, only Open Reach doesn't.
From BT website the address have 2mb availability and for the other side of the road is 38mb fibre frown

I can check next Saturday. I have no idea how to identify the boxes, is there any guide for dummies? smile
The developer is Bellway and the development is Dunningford Chase.

Thanks.

Edited by joaoasilva (Wed 10-Dec-14 10:37:05)

Standard User TheEulerID
(regular) Wed 10-Dec-14 10:50:38
Print Post

It just depends where BT will be running the telephone cabling. If they make use of an existing cabinet already enabled for FTTC, then it will automatically be enabled. If it's to a non-enabled cabinet, or a new one then that's a different issue.

Perhaps the developer knows. My guess would be that OpenReach would seek to run cables to an enabled cabinet, but it's really people on the ground that would know.

ps. I find it odd that developers don't have a good handle on this stuff. Access to good utilities, including broadband, ought to form part of the package they sell. Surely it can't be that hard for them to at least know what will be available.
Standard User MCM
(fountain of knowledge) Wed 10-Dec-14 10:54:00
Print Post

The BT Wholesale Address checker shows addresses for both postcodes but quite possibly not all of the addresses.

The difference being that the addresses in Dunningford Close (RM12 5JJ) are served by cab 44 which is FTTC enabled whereas the addresses in Egbert Close (RM12 5DE) are served by cab 55 which doesn't appear to be FTTC enabled. This would suggest that the property you are moving in to is connected to cab 55 rather than cab 44.
Standard User joaoasilva
(newbie) Thu 11-Dec-14 09:31:55
Print Post

[re: MCM] [link to this post]

Where can I see that information? Which cabinet is connected to?
And if it's the 55 and it doesn't have FTTC, do you guys know what to do or how to request to enable? Some kind of show interest or something?

Thanks.
Standard User MCM
(fountain of knowledge) Thu 11-Dec-14 10:24:04
Print Post

Where can I see that information? Which cabinet is connected to?
Use the BT Wholesale Address Checker. If you don't have a phone number or it is a Sky or TalkTalk phone select Address Checker (NOT Postcode Checker), enter a post code and submit. You can then select from the various addresses listed for that postcode and see what is available for that address. The cab details are at the top. If no cabinet is mentioned the line is most probably an EO line.
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Thu 11-Dec-14 10:40:17
Print Post

[re: MCM] [link to this post]

No public money available as its a London Borough, Havering

So only way to get them to add the cabinet is

1. Appeal to their good nature
2. Raise the money that will encourage them to do it - hint pester developer who will have run off with their profits
3. Pester Virgin Media to maybe come to the area too

Looks to be a fairly small cabinet only 7 or 8 postcodes, rather than the usual 20 or 30 that saw cabinets enabled under the commercial programme.

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User MCM
(fountain of knowledge) Thu 11-Dec-14 17:18:22
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

I suspect your reply was meant for joaoasilva rather than myself.

As you are probably aware I'm only too well ware of the lack of public funding/BDUK for those living in London which is why I have spent the last 2+ years getting the support and agreement from the property owners here to spend £18+K to get BT to install and all-in-one cab to provide FTTC for our 75 EO lines.
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to