General Discussion
  >> Broadband Not-spots & slow-spots

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User RuralWire
(newbie) Fri 19-Dec-14 15:15:29
Print Post

Universal service commitment of 2Mbps

[link to this post]

For anyone with more than a passing interest in what might happen regarding the delivery of access to the universal service commitment of 2Mbps and superfast broadband for the final five percent, a recent session of the Environment, Food and Rural Affairs Committee shed some light on both issues.

On 10 December 2014, the Environment, Food and Rural Affairs Committee took evidence from Chris Townsend (Chief Executive Officer, Broadband Delivery UK) and Andrew Field (Superfast Broadband Programme Director, Broadband Delivery UK) in connection with the ongoing inquiry to examine rural broadband and digital-only services.

The following links to an account of the session.

http://data.parliament.uk/writtenevidence/committeee...

Chris Townsend and Andrew Field made specific reference to how and when the Universal Service Commitment of 2Mbps might be delivered, including the role satellite and alternative technologies might have to play in not only delivering access to the USC, but also superfast broadband for the final five percent.

Make of it what you will.
Standard User Liebstrom
(newbie) Sun 21-Dec-14 20:51:36
Print Post

Re: Universal service commitment of 2Mbps

[re: RuralWire] [link to this post]

What worries me is the politicians go on about 90% and 95% coverage but actually have no idea how many people really fall short of the 2Mbps commitment. They don't understand that it's not just a rural issue.

I live in a large development in a built-up area, VM is on my street, BT exchange fibre-enabled. Unfortunately VM won't serve my particular property despite 3 years of writing asking why, when I'm surrounded by people who are connected (even my neighbours on both sides.) My BT line is an exchange only line -- and a long one at that -- so no FTTC for me and I'm stuck below 2Mbps.

Neither my local BDUK project nor councillor are at all interested because their 'research' shows that I already have 'a choice of super-fast services.'

I expect there are many other 'one-off' cases or clusters like mine so when the BDUK projects claim 90% or 95% coverage it's stretching the truth. That's the fallacy of their use of postcode-level data, and the reason I believe they can never achieve genuine universal coverage until they do a real property-level survey.
Standard User RossMcG
(member) Mon 22-Dec-14 09:43:39
Print Post

[re: Liebstrom] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Liebstrom:
I expect there are many other 'one-off' cases or clusters like mine so when the BDUK projects claim 90% or 95% coverage it's stretching the truth. That's the fallacy of their use of postcode-level data, and the reason I believe they can never achieve genuine universal coverage until they do a real property-level survey.

I'm in a similar position, some checkers are showing fibre availability at postcode level however only one house in the street is connected to a fibre cabinet and the rest are EO with zero chance of an upgrade.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User mikejp
(regular) Mon 22-Dec-14 10:20:39
Print Post

[re: RossMcG] [link to this post]

Here is the prediction for October 2017 for West Sussex. I wonder how many voters in the white areas actually realise what "95%" really means? Download here:West Sussex Not 2MB

I was under the impression there were to be no 'white spots' at the end ot the roll-out.
Standard User Michael_Chare
(experienced) Mon 22-Dec-14 20:40:53
Print Post

[re: mikejp] [link to this post]

They appear to consider number of suppliers more important than speed.

Michael Chare
Standard User Liebstrom
(newbie) Mon 22-Dec-14 22:14:32
Print Post

[re: RossMcG] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by RossMcG:
I'm in a similar position, some checkers are showing fibre availability at postcode level however only one house in the street is connected to a fibre cabinet and the rest are EO with zero chance of an upgrade.

My area of several thousand homes is over 95% EO lines as well. But given the very high take up of Virgin Media I can kind of understand why it would be difficult for BT to get a return on their investment if they upgraded all these lines.

The BDUK projects really should help with these 'infill' cases as well as the wide area roll outs. But they tell me they can't help me get connected with VM as they must not offer state aid in cases where it would be commercially viable for the operator provide service themselves. I'm yet to convince them there is an issue, as their coverage maps show I have a choice of more than 2 providers, but as long as I'm lost in the statistics I guess it's not a priority for them.

I have friends in the area who are in the same boat so I'm not a completely isolated case. (Even more annoyingly I had the same issue in my previous house a few streets away. When moving here I first checked with VM to see if the house could be served and they said yes, right up until after I moved in and placed my order!)
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Mon 22-Dec-14 22:27:34
Print Post

They CANNOT fund VM since VM does not meet EU State Aid requirements of supplying a wholesale service. Over building an area that is heavily covered by VM also breaks the rules, where the break even point is exactly will only be known if someone tests it with a complaint in the courts, might be 10%, might be 40%.

The main BDUK target was 90% with access to superfast. The Welsh target of 96% with access to fibre based, which works out at 90% superfast in the end means they can ignore Powys and do the rest of Wales if they wanted.

At the end when a target is less than 100%, there will be people missing out, who that is the sort of thing politicians don't like to say, as it upsets people. Some areas went beyond the 90% original target, which will balance out the areas like Tower Hamlets and Norfolk, e.g. Surrey is already past 90% and still building.

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User RuralWire
(newbie) Tue 23-Dec-14 19:42:58
Print Post

Liebstrom

Your situation is certainly not unique. According to the figures submitted by BT to the EFRA Committee, there are currently somewhere within the region of 850,000 premises in the UK that cannot get more than 2Mbps.

Regarding the 2Mbps Universal Service Commitment, I reckon BT made their position clear in the written evidence that they submitted to the inquiry. Namely, when stating that 'There are also non-fixed-link broadband alternatives. Customers in areas where speeds above 2Mbps via fixed link are difficult to achieve can utilise these. In particular, satellite broadband providers offer services across the UK at a range of speeds and prices. This means 2Mbps broadband is essentially available to all premises by a variety of means.' This approach to the 2Mbps USC appears to have been adopted by Chris Townsend of BDUK, but with the possibility of adding other alternative broadband technologies, if or when they become available.
Standard User Liebstrom
(newbie) Tue 23-Dec-14 23:29:37
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by MrSaffron:
They CANNOT fund VM since VM does not meet EU State Aid requirements of supplying a wholesale service. Over building an area that is heavily covered by VM also breaks the rules, where the break even point is exactly will only be known if someone tests it with a complaint in the courts, might be 10%, might be 40%.

Interesting, I didn't know this. It makes the universal service commitment seem quite unachievable.
Standard User Liebstrom
(newbie) Tue 23-Dec-14 23:50:39
Print Post

[re: RuralWire] [link to this post]

RuralWire,

I think we need to know a bit more about pricing for these alternative technologies. If we have to pay more for a worse product (e.g daft usage limits) while the next door neighbour has access to much better technologies it doesn't seem fair that we should miss out just because other people in the postcode are covered.

I've recently been trying out the EE 'Dan and Phil' 100Gb 4G mobile data offer at home. That gives me about 22Mbps down - great! But once this offer is up the cheapest high usage tariff I can find is £50 per month for 50Gb, which will soon disappear after streaming a few HD films. Not at all comparable to a decent fixed line service. I hope satellite will be more competitive for those who will have no other option.
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to