General Discussion
  >> Broadband Not-spots & slow-spots

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User stevelup
(newbie) Fri 09-Jan-15 10:47:22
Print Post

Not a not-spot or a slow-spot but still hopeless?

[link to this post]

Are places which are not not-spots or slow-spots effectively doomed to permanent disinterest from BT?

I'm about to move to Chiseldon (SSCDN) and am blessed to be just 400M from the exchange.

Except this exchange only has ASDL Max. There are no ADSL2 services, no cable, no LLU, and absolutely no plans for FTTC.

It's a relatively affluent area with over 1000 properties, the vast majority of which are less than 1KM from the exchange.

I wonder if the root reason for this is that the exchange itself has poor connectivity?
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Fri 09-Jan-15 10:56:08
Print Post

Re: Not a not-spot or a slow-spot but still hopeless?

[re: stevelup] [link to this post]

Commercial interest ran out at 2/3rds coverage of the UK and Chiseldon is a long way outside that.

Believe you fall into Swindon council area? If so then read
http://www.thinkbroadband.com/news/6620-work-to-take...

You missed out on the first round of BDUK projects, but might see some work as the targets move towards 95% with access to superfast broadband. Of course no guarantee that you would be in the 95% as a few thousand can miss out and still hit the 95% target.

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User stevelup
(newbie) Fri 09-Jan-15 11:06:13
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

Thanks for replying. I don't hold out a great deal of hope to be honest!

It's weird because there are other smaller areas nearby with fewer properties, well out in the sticks, that have decent ADSL2 from both BT and TalkTalk LLU. It's difficult to understand the decision process...

I'm only moaning because I've been spoilt by living in an area with pretty much uncontended 120Mbps VM Cable!

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Fri 09-Jan-15 11:18:54
Print Post

[re: stevelup] [link to this post]

Falling into Swindon Unitary Authority area will not help I suspect, as the focus is on getting better broadband to the large new build estates in Swindon, rather than the older villages inside the boundary.

TalkTalk have their own set of decision processes for deciding to LLU an exchange.

Down to lobbying local council to ensure you are not missed out.

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
  Print Thread

Jump to