General Discussion
  >> Broadband Not-spots & slow-spots

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User HamptonEmpress
(newbie) Fri 09-Jan-15 22:59:16
Print Post

We're not getting fibre after all, are we?

[link to this post]

Hello folks.
I live in rural Cheshire, speeds of 1.5, but last spring openreach dug along our country road laying cables and promising fibre was on its way. They snapped some cables forcing them though the ducting, causing delay, but were back out working again in the autumn, again telling me things were coming soon.
I downloaded a spreadsheet telling me our exchange was going to be enabled Dec 2014. But now, the where and when checker has a big fat "?" instead.
our BDUK,"ConnectingCheshire" said "Aw, sorry, yeah, we're not able to do anything for you, you're not in our plan, like, ever."
We are exchange only, I'm told, and miles away at that.
BT told me to sit tight, they were sure we were included in the rollout and to keep checking the website. I got the impression they were making this up.

I'm never getting it, am I? BUT they dug up my road and laid cable past my front door! For what reason would they do that? Why can't I get fibre if it runs past my door? Aaargh.

exchange is Hampton Heath (WNHAM)
Postcode is SY14 8AD.

does anyone have any insight they could kindly offer, please?
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Fri 09-Jan-15 23:21:05
Print Post

Re: We're not getting fibre after all, are we?

[re: HamptonEmpress] [link to this post]

The spreadsheets were/are never an indication that all lines on an exchange would see a fibre based service. So you probably were never getting fibre.

Chances are that cabs 1 and or 2 on the exchange will see FTTC.

As for the exchange only lines, depends on the BDUK project and their targets. EO tends to mean higher subsidy, so generally all the easier to get to areas will get done first. Target for Cheshire is fairly high at 96% fibre based but that might be possible without doing many EO lines.

IMPORTANT NOTE Fibre based does not equal superfast for Cheshire the gap between fibre based and superfast is running at ~5%

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
(newbie) Fri 09-Jan-15 23:51:32
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

Thanks for responding.

the BDUK project simply does not have us in their 96% plan, at all. So that's clear.

but as for bt openreach, I simply don't know.

I don't understand the purpose of laying the cable along our road. We are miles from the exchange...what was this cable for? I can't seem to get an informed answer from BT about whether they are going to serve us or not, each person I speak to is obviously guessing and I dont know how to get accurate information. (Obviously I harbour a hope that we're getting FTTP and that's why we had the cable laid smile )

I'd love to know for certain one way or another, really.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User MCM
(fountain of knowledge) Sat 10-Jan-15 00:05:53
Print Post

bt openreach, I simply don't know.
If you are on an EO line then BT aren't going to be enabling you as part of their commercial roll-out due to your having an EO line. In most cases enabling EO lines isn't currently commercially viable. As Andrew has already implied whether your line gets upgraded or not is down to the local BDUK programme and how much they are prepared to subsidise the necessary network rearrangement.

Posted by another EO customer who being in London doesn't have BDUK to fall back on for a solution instead of which 75 of use are paying BT the necessary gap funding to upgrade our cluster/slow-spot.
(newbie) Sat 10-Jan-15 00:23:24
Print Post

[re: MCM] [link to this post]

Wow. So BT aren't getting fibre to any EO customers? Depressing.
I specifically asked that question, but they implied we were getting it.
is there no likelihood of them installing a new cabinet for some of the EO customers?

I can only assume the new cable down our road was for the benefit of the sheep.
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Sat 10-Jan-15 00:50:53
Print Post

As part of the BDUK roll-out in some cases yes it is happening

As part of the commercial led roll-out - simply not happening.

It is a numbers and money game, service as many people as possible for a limited pot of money, which means those already on a cabinet of a reasonable size tend to get done first.

As for the new cable, without knowing its start and end point and what sort of cable/pipe it might simply have been extra copper pairs.

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User max360
(newbie) Sat 10-Jan-15 00:55:19
Print Post

Website @ https://windows.mouselike.org/be/ is showing:

Post Code: SY14 8AD
PCP: {WNHAM}{E_9}
Exchange: HAMPTON HEATH
Forecast Date: March 2015
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Sat 10-Jan-15 08:39:34
Print Post

[re: max360] [link to this post]

Is the coming soon on that side exchange wide or specific to the cab/eo cluster. Unfortunately believe it is the former

Standard User WWWombat
(knowledge is power) Sat 10-Jan-15 10:24:55
Print Post

In reply to a post by HamptonEmpress:
I don't understand the purpose of laying the cable along our road. We are miles from the exchange...what was this cable for? I can't seem to get an informed answer from BT about whether they are going to serve us or not, each person I speak to is obviously guessing and I dont know how to get accurate information. (Obviously I harbour a hope that we're getting FTTP and that's why we had the cable laid smile )

If you actually saw fibre being laid, or the ducting for fibre, then there are 4 possible uses, not all of which help you:

- it is core network fibre, bringing the 21CN network to an exchange along the road, which will hold a fibre headend or will get ADSL2+,
- it is fibre from a regional headend, being distributed to a child exchange,
- it is part of the local fibre spine, distributing fibre from the headend to individual FTTC cabinets, or providing the first aggregation nodes for an FTTP rollout,
- it is part of the access network for an FTTP rollout

Think of the first 3 options as being part of the trunk network; it might run past your door, but is the wrong type of fibre to connect your house. Only the last option can do that.

Looking at the SamKnows maps of exchanges, I note that the Cholmondeley exchange is further down the road; you might be on a route that connects that exchange to a fibre headend. However, that exchange seems to have no cabinets, everything is EO, and that area doesn't appear to be in the current plans right now, either.
Standard User indigobanana
(regular) Sat 10-Jan-15 14:55:20
Print Post

FTTP Planned Phase BDUK Cheshire 12b

Looks like there is some FTTP planned for EO lines on this exchange. However which exact areas will get it is a mystery

With PlusNet on 20CN ADSL Max, I live in hope...

Fibre in Cumbria Exchange & Cab Map
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to