General Discussion
  >> Broadband Not-spots & slow-spots

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User pug205rally
(newbie) Sun 05-Apr-15 10:11:52
Print Post

BDUK and Fastershire

[link to this post]

I have read about the Hatherley situation with interest and its prompted a question of my own. Our postcode GL19 4DS appears to be connected to a cabinet in the Tirley exchange which is to be upgraded, however recent correspondence wth BT open reach has revealed we are too far from the Exchange to benefit as it would appear is an adjacent postcode Gl19 4DP. Openreach have indicated a cabinet will be expensive £25k plus.

I guess my first question here is to enquire whether a G.Fast option would be cheaper assuming successful trials and an implied roll out commencing 2016/17 based upon BT Openreach press

I am wondering how can I find out how many properties are impacted similarly and what our options might be as it appears the BDUK funding may simply pass us by

Current broadband speeds in our postcode appear to be around 1Mb down 350k up on average

Any thoughts or comments welcome

Edited by pug205rally (Sun 05-Apr-15 10:52:59)

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Sun 05-Apr-15 19:46:13
Print Post

Re: BDUK and Fastershire

[re: pug205rally] [link to this post]

FTTC for just a few premises in two postcodes would be expensive, and sub cabinets are not normally deployed at present too, so would be a custom thing, hence high cost.

G.fast might and should be cheaper, but g.fast is very early days, and if money available there is no technical reason FTTP could not be deployed for you, i.e. it is a money not a technical problem.

Current BDUK spending is aiming at 90% UK target, then 95% in 2017 and more beyond that so missed now, but nothing to say it will not happen later.

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User Moonpie
(newbie) Thu 11-Feb-16 14:33:14
Print Post

Re: BDUK and Fastershire

[re: pug205rally] [link to this post]

im in the exact same situation as you with Fastershire in that cabinet enabled but my property is too far from it , and there seems to be no solution in sight. The openreach site just says they are "actively looking at other options" which is pretty non helpful.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread

Jump to