General Discussion
  >> Broadband Not-spots & slow-spots

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User lcl00
(newbie) Mon 13-Apr-15 16:51:17
Print Post

Line Reroute

[link to this post]

Hi guys

I'm currently in a broadband not-spot and doing whatever I can to get things improved. After enough to do, I've decided that I'm willing to pay for a line reroute. I had this surveyed back in 2010 and they were charging over £2,000 for the work, which at the time I couldn't afford. Presently, I'm left with no choice but to pay it because the service coming from the other direction is absolutely appalling. However, while BT were more than willing to do this in 2010, I simply cannot get them to agree to do it now. The response has consistently come back over the past 2 years of trying with a response of "no, we don't do that."

Does anyone have any idea of how I can get this pushed through? The work is relatively simple. It's three poles and a drop wire. Surely they must do work that is considered feasible, which I'm guessing that this is.

Thanks. smile
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Mon 13-Apr-15 17:55:33
Print Post

Re: Line Reroute

[re: lcl00] [link to this post]

With the scale of the work on the BDUK projects it is possible that they are saying no because working flat out to hit those contract targets, and extra custom work like this is not being done.

It would also need re-quoting , since no-one will work to a five year old quote and if the new quote means another survey they may be reluctant to go ahead due to the costs of working it all out.

Are you in an area with a BDUK project that is underway, it may be that this is looking to do something for you?

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User lcl00
(newbie) Mon 13-Apr-15 19:05:57
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

MrSaffron,

I was aware that I would need another quote, given the age of the other one. The problem is that I can't even get them to send someone out to give me a new quote.

They're currently working on what I think is a second round of broadband improvements in my area, with a third coming (this is the Northern Ireland Broadband Improvement Project, by the Department of Enterprise, Trade and Investment for Northern Ireland). I was told that my post code was on the superfast list on the first phase and the second phase, both have provided nothing, so I'm going to assume the third won't either. The third phase won't even start until 2016 so I'm not holding my breath.

I've been trying from about 2012 to get a reroute. The lines coming up the road appear to be 0.9mm copper from the cabinet, which would give me something substantially better than 2mbits, even at 1.2km (my neighbors at about 900m are getting BT estimates of up to 73mbits, and their line is syncing very stably at 40/2, which leaves me optimistic that I would get at least something even half decent coming from that cabinet).

Is it BT policy to deny these orders, or are the planning departments in NI just being obtuse? I was told by one of the more senior members that it was a term of their contract from DETI that they wouldn't do anything to change the network. I contacted DETI to confirm this (a few times) and they stated very clearly that this was not the case and it would make absolutely no sense for them to impose such a restriction given that it would actually serve to reduce the ability to improve coverage as opposed to increase it.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Mon 13-Apr-15 20:47:22
Print Post

A mixture of politics and pass the buck I suspect

How long is line to the cabinet?

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User lcl00
(newbie) Mon 13-Apr-15 21:27:27
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

I am estimating (with pretty good accuracy - the cable routing is quite obvious) that I would end up being about 1200m from the cabinet, assuming they rerouted me to the closest one.

I'm currently about 4500m from the other one, so it's essentially useless.

The extra work would require 3 poles, and no underground cabling work, so in the grand scheme of things it's actually pretty basic.
Standard User Zarjaz
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Mon 13-Apr-15 22:26:19
Print Post

I think some of the issue may lie with the fact that Openreach will only do what service providers ask of them. So you need to get your SP to push.

Standard User Michael_Chare
(experienced) Tue 14-Apr-15 01:23:54
Print Post

How about a Dear Mr Patterson email?

Michael Chare
Standard User lcl00
(newbie) Tue 14-Apr-15 09:56:39
Print Post

[re: Zarjaz] [link to this post]

I've been getting them to push, but they all just immediately reject stating that it's something they've never done. I'm not really sure who I need to talk to about getting this work done now. Surely they have indeed rerouted lines at customer request/expense at some point in the past.
Standard User WWWombat
(knowledge is power) Thu 16-Apr-15 01:16:10
Print Post

I'm sure they've done this before, but getting it *now* is the point.

Have you asked for a copper re-arrangement? That might be the magic phrase.

When you say it is 3 poles, is that 3 new poles, or 3 existing poles?

If they are existing ones, are they heavily loaded? Are they safe? Do distribution wires already go in the direction you want? Will the new wires need access to provate land in order to fix them?

If they are new ones, will they be sited on public or private land? Will wayleaves be needed?

Final option that might get more traction: Have you tried asking for a business line, via a business ISP?
Standard User lcl00
(newbie) Fri 17-Apr-15 00:25:46
Print Post

[re: WWWombat] [link to this post]

I don't think I've specifically asked for copper rearrangement. What I've asked for is basically an install that requires a survey with specifics of what exactly it is that I want. I've done this through BT Business.

The install is 3 new poles that basically goes along the road beside farm land. There isn't even anyone who would want to object, and no farmers or land owners to consult. It's all land/roads owned by DRD.

I had sent an email to Openreach's CEO, and got a response from the high level complaints team. They said this couldn't be done, but they were focusing on rerouting an existing line, instead of alternate routing of a new line. I'm not sure if that's a distinction that I can play on, but it's really what I've been trying to do so far. I need to email them back and ask for further clarification, but any info on what I should throw at them would be helpful. Apparently the network is 'bespoke' but realistically it's a bit thrown together and not fit for purpose. I don't see how gradually extending a line over the easiest route is bespoke, but there you go!
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to