General Discussion
  >> Broadband Not-spots & slow-spots

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User philippercival
(fountain of knowledge) Tue 15-Sep-15 14:34:52
Print Post

Rural Area Information on Clannet

[link to this post]

Some cousins of mine live in Kirby Hill which is a small village in Rural North Yorkshire. They are connected to cabinet 13 Richmond which does not seem to be getting FTTC.

They have heard talk about a wireless system through Clannet (clannet.co.uk). I wondered if anybody else on here was connected through them and could give any further information regarding speeds, costs, contract lengtht and service, as their website is not really that informative,

Thanks in anticipation

http://speedtest.net/result/2459383290.png

Solar Results
2013 3521kwh,   2014 3435kwh, 2015 to 30th June 1991kwh

My Broadband Ping
Standard User WWWombat
(knowledge is power) Wed 16-Sep-15 22:45:57
Print Post

Re: Rural Area Information on Clannet

[re: philippercival] [link to this post]

Cab 13 of Richmond has already been upgraded to FTTC, but it looks like Kirby Hill is too far from the cabinet to benefit. It looks like the cab is at the start of Cutpurse Lane, on the edge of Richmond.

I'm not entirely convinced that Clannet covers the area either - judging by the Superfast North Yorkshire website. Their new Where/When map is really hard to use, but I suggest you do something like this...

1. Go to http://www.superfastnorthyorkshire.com/wherewhen
2. Zoom the map until you can see these locations on-screen at the same time...
Richmond, Gilling West, Ravensworth, Melsonby
3. Click on the dot at the centre of Melsonby.

This will bring up a box labelled "Multiple Service providers selected (1/2)", and display details for BT's fibre service. The map will show areas covered by this cunningly shaded white - so almost impossible to see on the map.

You'll note that the white "superfast" coverage doesn't extend far out of Richmond towards Kirby Hill - a little over 1km. Any improved coverage compared to ADSL, even if not quite superfast, probably runs out at 2km, or just over a mile.

4. Click on the right-most ">" symbol next to the "(1/2)"

The text box will now change to give Clannet details, and the white-shaded areas on the map will change. To me, it looks like they cover areas to the east of the A1, and north-east of the A66.

I think the best that you can do, to find out the truth of the matter, is to contact Clannet themselves.
Standard User philippercival
(fountain of knowledge) Wed 16-Sep-15 23:17:22
Print Post

Re: Rural Area Information on Clannet

[re: WWWombat] [link to this post]

Thanks for your detailed reply and the information. You are quite right they are covered by no one at the moment. Negotiations have begun with CLANNET or at least sounding them out to cover Kirby Hill and three other villages to the immediate west, which have also dipped out. All this of course has to be done through superfast north yorkshire, who also have to get on board. All four villages are relatively small, so make very little difference to the 95% target so they may just simply be told "on your bike".

http://speedtest.net/result/2459383290.png

Solar Results
2013 3521kwh,   2014 3435kwh, 2015 to 30th June 1991kwh

My Broadband Ping

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread

Jump to